Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbv View Post
Harry:

well, you haven't pointed out anywhere were I was missinformed yet.
You are misinformed in your claim that that the Kindle doesn't support MobiPocket books. It does. It uses MobiPocket DRM for its own books, and fully supports any DRM-free MobiPocket books.

Quote:
If amazon had written a better encryption algorithm (which was their full intention)
Amazon didn't write any new encryption scheme. The Kindle uses MobiPocket DRM.

Quote:
then you wouldn't be able to run drm mobipocket books on the kindle. The fact that their attempt to completely screw existing customers failed, does not redeem them in my mind.
Mobi DRM is based on a device ID, called a PID. All that Amazon have done is give each Kindle its own PID. Enter that PID at any Mobi bookstore and you can buy any Mobi book that you want. Igorsk's tool is NOT removing DRM; all it's doing is setting one field in the DRM header which specifies the book supplier; setting it to specify that the supplier is Amazon. The Kindle checks this field - other readers do not. It is, however, a part of the Mobi DRM system. Amazon have not changed it.

Quote:
in this case they don't even give you the tool, use of the tool is illegal, and average customers probably don't even know it exists (I didn't know until yesterday).
Igorsk's tool is NOT illegal. It is NOT a DRM removal tool.

Quote:
Alisa: I agree, this is probably their reasoning for introducing a new encryption scheme...
Please see above. There is NO new encryption scheme. THE KINDLE USES MOBIPOCKET DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #47
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, to be fully correct they do have a new scheme which is used in Topaz format files. AZW/Mobi books use the usual Mobipocket encryption, yes.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert