Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
...Perhaps I should go back to my plan before the Vox was announced - order a Kindle Touch and pick it up in the US.
Moolyn, you might want to do some research first on whether you will get all the functionality the Kindle Fire is capable of, here in Canada. Just a heads-up.

UPDATE: Readers have asked if they order an Amazon Fire for pick up at a US postal address, will they then be able to access the Amazon services available to customers who live in the US. The answer is no.

While as Kevin points out in the comments below there is often a delay when products are announced in the US before they reach Canada, the Kindle Fire is a bit different from products like Apple’s iPhone or other devices released in the US first. The Kindle Fire delivers Amazon content such as Instant Video and Amazon’s free cloud storage but that’s not available for people in Canada, which makes the sale of the Kindle Fire here a bit doubtful.
cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Thanks for your concern, Cindi, but I was thinking of ordering a Kindle Touch rather than a Kindle Fire if the Vox doesn't work out for me. My iPod Touch already does most of what an Apple iPad does, but in minature, and even has both Kindle and Kobo apps. I'd just like a larger screen for ereading!
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for the great and in-depth review Steph!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm taking about the same position. My goal was to be able to read kindle books and ePUBs on the same device. I may use the Vox to read a little email and do some light surfing, but I do not need or expect it to replace my smartphone or computer. I'm also willing to wait out the development process for the Kobo App itself--I've learned over time that Kobo releases early and updates frequently. I'm OK with that.
Devil's advocate here but note that the Kobo app is in the Amazon Appstore which means it should be installable on the Kindle Fire.

I definitely want a 7" color eReader, but I'm sitting on the fence until the Fire comes out. I was really hoping the FFS+ screen would deliver a somewhat usable outdoor reading experience but the early reports here seem to indicate otherwise.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #20
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post

I definitely want a 7" color eReader, but I'm sitting on the fence until the Fire comes out. I was really hoping the FFS+ screen would deliver a somewhat usable outdoor reading experience but the early reports here seem to indicate otherwise.
What early reports? The Kobo Vox screen thread and my own experiences find no fault with the screen. The viewing angles are as advertised, and it's very good even in direct fall morning sunlight - the screen outdid a Super AMOLED one, and with sun reflecting off it by having the sun behind me, only the part that was blocked out by the reflective beams were hard to read.

The crashing Kobo app, though, is another story. Or if you like black screens, you can see the backlight more. But sunlight? Not an issue, nor the color rendition or brightness.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #21
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
What early reports? The Kobo Vox screen thread and my own experiences find no fault with the screen. The viewing angles are as advertised, and it's very good even in direct fall morning sunlight - the screen outdid a Super AMOLED one, and with sun reflecting off it by having the sun behind me, only the part that was blocked out by the reflective beams were hard to read.
Glad to hear Haesslich, but you're the only one here giving it a thumbs up so far. Other reviews haven't been so glowing. Still, it's early days and hopefully a larger consensus will form as more people get their Voxes.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Glad to hear Haesslich, but you're the only one here giving it a thumbs up so far. Other reviews haven't been so glowing. Still, it's early days and hopefully a larger consensus will form as more people get their Voxes.
I can't fault the screen, but the photo didn't turn out well. Samsung needs to do more QC of its ROMs, just as Kobo needs more QC of these units. My first was a lemon, and I found my Kobo Vox froze after 15 hours of being plugged in without use. I'll bet the WiFi or other software crashed again - I've had times where Wifi refused to turn on the first attempt.

At least that can be patched, unlike the first unit's issues.

I also take it you missed this thread - Vox Screen. Good Ereader didn't see any issues with the screen, nor do I recall PCMag having quibbles. To quote the latter:

"The 1024-by-600 multitouch FFS+ screen shines brightly, although the brightness can either be automatically adjusted via a light sensor or manually adjusted for "night mode". I didn't have a chance to play with the Kobo in bright sunlight (where E-Ink displays like those used by the Touch excel) but the Vox wasn't washed out from sunlight through a window."

Last edited by Haesslich; 10-30-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #23
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
I also take it you missed this thread - Vox Screen. Good Ereader didn't see any issues with the screen, nor do I recall PCMag having quibbles.
Nope. Missed none of those. None of them address outdoor viewing. That's the feedback I'm eager to see, particularly in a side-by-side with the Fire.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
Haesslich
Fanatic

Quote:
Nope. Missed none of those. None of them address outdoor viewing. That's the feedback I'm eager to see, particularly in a side-by-side with the Fire.
You'll have to wait a few months for the latter. I'd like to try the Fire myself, but that won't be exported for a while. We'll see if Amazon skimped on the screen to provide their CPU and memory. Now if only Kobo had better QC on the assembly and the Apps. Crashing on the Kobo app is disgraceful. Ditto some of the software freezes caused by that app, or some of the drivers they're using. I would NOT give this to anyone not comfortable troubleshooting right now.

If the Fire works like recent Kindle Keyboards do (right out of the box), they should have a good Xmas.

I'll try for photos later, although the auto-adjust on the camera could be an issue.

Last edited by Haesslich; 10-30-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Glo
It's readable outside standing in the sunlight with black-on-white, a bit harder to read with black-on-sepia. It's more readable than, say, my phone is, though there is some reflection (more of a problem than glare). I can't compare it with the Fire, of course, and it's nothing like e-ink for outdoor viewing, but it's fine to read outside. I didn't try reading anything with colour.
jeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Devil's advocate here but note that the Kobo app is in the Amazon Appstore which means it should be installable on the Kindle Fire.
Currently the Fire is not available in Canada. The Amazon services that make the Fire a great choice for some folks are also not in Canada. Amazon has a long history of treating Canadians like red headed step children, for example, last Xmas we could not order Kindles.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Currently the Fire is not available in Canada. The Amazon services that make the Fire a great choice for some folks are also not in Canada. Amazon has a long history of treating Canadians like red headed step children, for example, last Xmas we could not order Kindles.
You should probably complain to your Canadian government as that is most likely due to Canadian and USA import/export/commerce laws and not Amazon treating Canadians poorly. I hear that you guys cannot even get some first run television shows from the USA, and that is certainly not the fault of USA networks. It sounds to me like Canada and the USA need to sit down and iron out a better set of laws for dealing with import/export/commerce etc. between one another.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We were able to buy Kindles before the Xmas season and after Xmas, so I doubt that part has anything to do with our government. Amazon has not rolled out the Fire internationally, and that includes Canada. Why we don't have the free apps a day, streaming, etc.--well who knows if it is Amazon or not?

You may not know this, but Canadian networks have to pay for US TV shows. Free to air stations, unlike cable or satellite cannot pass those costs on to people. We get a lot more US TV than you do Canadian, and the major US networks are all on Cable or Satellite, usually on the basic tier.

We are actually not the 51st state.

Last edited by taming; 10-30-2011 at 12:26 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
We are actually not the 51st state.
What? What? Say it isn't so.

http://www.humanistsofutah.org/2002/...ian_10-02.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #30
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
I can't fault the screen, but the photo didn't turn out well. Samsung needs to do more QC of its ROMs, just as Kobo needs more QC of these units. My first was a lemon, and I found my Kobo Vox froze after 15 hours of being plugged in without use. I'll bet the WiFi or other software crashed again - I've had times where Wifi refused to turn on the first attempt.

At least that can be patched, unlike the first unit's issues.

I also take it you missed this thread - Vox Screen. Good Ereader didn't see any issues with the screen, nor do I recall PCMag having quibbles. To quote the latter:

"The 1024-by-600 multitouch FFS+ screen shines brightly, although the brightness can either be automatically adjusted via a light sensor or manually adjusted for "night mode". I didn't have a chance to play with the Kobo in bright sunlight (where E-Ink displays like those used by the Touch excel) but the Vox wasn't washed out from sunlight through a window."

I was just outside in direct sunlight (gorgeous fall day with noon sun) and unfortunately, like pretty much any other LCD screen, it does wash out in direct sunlight (not to mention if I'm not blocking the sun with my body somehow, I get a very nice mirror reflection of the sun blinding me.

That said, I am able to read if I'm able to find some share or can get into a position where the sun is not directly on the screen. This is with full brightness on. However, because this is a glass screen, you still get major reflections of yourself (and what an ugly mug I have..I need a shave..) and the surrounding area, not to mention that finger printers and swipes show up very clearly outside, so you need to make sure you have a cloth available at all times.

One thing that surprised me was that the eee pad transformer, which was more washed out under overcast conditions, seemed to fare better in direct sunlight.. I still had the sun reflecting off the screen, but the words of the book were not as washed out as the kobo..I'm really not sure how to explain this...

In any case, these of course are my opinions, and may differ from the opinions expressed by this network and it's affiliates. Viewer discretion is advised.

Edit - Just wanted to add to this; I'm not saying the screen is poor by any means; it's actually a very nice screen overall with great color; it's just not an outdoor screen.

Last edited by Psyke; 10-30-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote