Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Samhain Horror Preorder Sale + Coupon

Samhain Publishing has started a horror line, and if you buy preorders (for 10/4 and 11/1) from their website the titles are $2.45 for novellas, and $3.85 to $4.55 for full books, as opposed to the regular prices of $3.50 to $5.50. Amazon and B&N have the preorders for $2.80 to $5.20.

Formats available:

• Adobe Acrobat
• Adobe Acrobat for Sony
• eBook ETI-2
• EPUB
• HTML
• Microsoft Reader
• Mobipocket/Kindle
• Rocketbook

I won't know until tomorrow if these are multiformat or you pick one format.
Since they mention Calibre I assume they are DRM free.

Quote:
Calibre is a nice library software that will recognize and load books on to several devices such as the Sony and the Kindle as well as specific apps for the iPhone. Visit the Calibre site to learn more about it, how it works and what it will work with. The software is free! http://calibre-ebook.com/ They have a nice video tutorial about the program.
They take credit cards and Paypal. They have a cart.

Use coupon 6d32a94c63 on your order for 40% off. Since I don't know their coupon system, if this doesn't work, sign up for their email newsletter and you will receive a coupon. The first one I got this way did not work so I emailed support and they sent me the above one, which did work.

http://store.samhainpublishing.com/horror-c-20.html

Last edited by NightBird; 10-04-2011 at 04:06 AM.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Samhain Publishing has started a horror line, and if you buy preorders (for 10/4 and 11/1) from their website the titles are $2.45 for novellas, and $4.55 for full books, as opposed to the regular prices of $3.50 to $5.50. Amazon and B&N have the preorders for $2.80 to $5.20.
Cool. Too bad I already ordered most of the Ramsey Campbell ebooks. But it was Ramsey! Campbell! Who could wait?! They even had the early anthology Dark Companions. Like Cold Reprint, it reprints some of his earlier stories. While his newer stories are better written, sometimes I like the old stuff because it's more straightforward with old-time twisty endings like an EC comic book.

But maybe I'll have to go back and order some of the books I put in my wish list...
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Cool. Too bad I already ordered most of the Ramsey Campbell ebooks. But it was Ramsey! Campbell! Who could wait?!
I know, I know!! He's my favorite horror author and I was jumping up and down when I saw these. lol I actually like his novels better than his short stories, and his venture into the suspense realm - bleh. Hungry Moon is one of my favorites. Ancient Images - I was reading this in bed and after I turned out the lights I swore I could hear noises in the house. Really had to talk myself out of it.

The guy is a master at creeping ya out.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
NightBird
Wizard

Yes, they are multiformat and DRM free.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
I know, I know!! He's my favorite horror author and I was jumping up and down when I saw these. lol I actually like his novels better than his short stories, and his venture into the suspense realm - bleh. Hungry Moon is one of my favorites. Ancient Images - I was reading this in bed and after I turned out the lights I swore I could hear noises in the house. Really had to talk myself out of it.

The guy is a master at creeping ya out.
Heh. I can't wait for the insomnia.
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Heh. I can't wait for the insomnia.
Heehee. I hope they get the rest, particularly The Parasite, my favorite.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Is any of the Campbell stuff Cthulhu related? I love his earlier work that is, but could never get into any of his later stuff which is not...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Is any of the Campbell stuff Cthulhu related? I love his earlier work that is, but could never get into any of his later stuff which is not...
No it isn't. That's the REALLY old stuff. I wonder if they will ever get to that.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
NightBird
Wizard

Have you seen this one: Alone with the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction of Ramsey Campbell 1961-1991 This apparently has some of the older stories, including the first story he ever wrote. It's published by Macmillan and $9.99.

Quote:
Alone With the Horrors collects nearly forty tales from the first thirty years of Campbell's writing. Included here are "In the Bag," which won the British Fantasy Award, and two World Fantasy Award-winning stories, "The Chimney" and the classic "Mackintosh Willy."

Campbell crowns the book with a length preface which traces his early publication history, discusses his youthful correspondence with August Derleth, illuminates the influence of H.P. Lovecraft on his early work, and gives an account of the creation of each story and the author's personal assessment of the works' flaws and virtues.

In its first publication, a decade ago, Alone With the Horrors won both the Bram Stoker Award and the World Fantasy Award. For this new edition, Campbell has added one of his very first published stories, a Lovecraftian classic, "The Tower from Yuggoth."
http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Horrors-...7866250&sr=1-3
Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For information only:

I joined the site and my code is different than the one listed in post #1.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
For information only:

I joined the site and my code is different than the one listed in post #1.

Don
Interesting. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, I've got some of my pre-order romance (I've lost my coupon)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
Critteranne
Guru

There is also a very nice coupon code in Rue Morgue magazine. 30% off or something like that. I didn't buy the issue yet, so I don't have any code. Anyway, that would be cheating -- and this is your chance to discover a great horror magazine.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Discount code does not work - VERY UNHAPPY WITH SAMHAIN'S SOLUTION

Buyer beware:

Here's my experience -

I joined the website and purchased 4 books by Ramsey Campbell and used the discount code in the email they sent me. My understanding was that it would be 40%, based upon the first post in this thread.

Upon purchase, there was NO discount whatsoever from my $17.50 purchase.

I emailed them about this issue and they indicated they would get back to me. They did get back to me yesterday and this was their solution:

Upon my next purchase they will give me a 15% discount by using a new code. This is unacceptable and I will no longer be a customer. Also, based upon my initial experience, I am VERY hesitant to use another discount code. As far as I'm concerned, the company owes me 40% less from $17.50

I am signing this as a Moderator, because I want to give this post an additional level of authenticity, based upon my experience with them as a customer, and also to warn our Members about this incident.

I realize that another member's experience may differ from mine. However, this was my experience with this company.

Don
(MODERATOR)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-08-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
NightBird
Wizard

Don, I agree with you - that was not an acceptable solution.

What happened to me was the initial coupon they sent me did not work. On attempting to check out with it the message "invalid coupon" came up. At that point I abandoned the checkout and emailed them about what happened. The next day they sent me the email with an apology and the coupon code I posted here. I checked out with that coupon and all was well, with the 40% discount.

I would advise anyone who decides to try shopping with them do the same - apply the coupon and see if it works before checking out. If it doesn't, email them before spending any money instead of trying to get a refund later.