Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I think My Router and Kindle don't like each other.

I notice lately when using my K3 the internet takes forever or is slow when using WiFi to download something.

I'm starting to wonder if it's something to do with my Router.

Example: I'm on Dropbox trying to download a file and it seems to just be stuck in limbo waiting for the Download Mobi yes/no popup or I get the can't open this page error and have to reboot the K3 to fix it. If I switch to 3G then retry it downloads no problem.

None of my other wireless devices have issues like this. It's mainly with Dropbox. I usually have to reboot the Kindle to fix the issue.
Any ideas?

Is there anything I can do to make my Router and my K3 play nicer together?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
None of my other wireless devices have issues like this. It's mainly with Dropbox. I usually have to reboot the Kindle to fix the issue.
Any ideas?
I know Dropbox has been slower than molasses at different times over the past few days. Stuff that usually took seconds to synchronize stalled for long periods of time. I assumed it was a network issues on my ISP's end, but perhaps not?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I think the Kindle 3 just has a really crappy wifi card in it. I have a heck of a time getting it to work with mine, but everything else works with no problem (heck, the computer I've typing this on uses wifi)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I know Dropbox has been slower than molasses at different times over the past few days. Stuff that usually took seconds to synchronize stalled for long periods of time. I assumed it was a network issues on my ISP's end, but perhaps not?
Well no slow down issues on Desktop or Phone with Dropbox just the Kindle. It could be with all weather something is down and a backup is being used where you are at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I think the Kindle 3 just has a really crappy wifi card in it. I have a heck of a time getting it to work with mine, but everything else works with no problem (heck, the computer I've typing this on uses wifi)
The thing is I can get it to load Google and other sites fine but it does not like Dropbox for some reason. I thought it might have something to do with HTTPS sites and my router.

The 3G the Kindle uses is AT&T and this is Verizon country. So I get one bar when using it but it sucks the battery down fast. Still it's faster then my WiFi which is pretty sad seeing I have 20MB Broadband.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I have an old K2 and until recently had terrible AT&T reception. I was fortunate to download a book in several minutes. On my Wi-Fi K3, it never takes more than a minute to download a book...and I use a four year old D-Link router. I don't use Dropbox though.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There's a 'mobile' Dropbox web site: m.dropbox.com. Have you tried that? (I'd try it myself but have temporarily forgotten my Dropbox password...)

And of course if you suspect your router, try wi-fi somewhere else for a second opinion.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-29-2011 at 08:13 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There's a 'mobile' Dropbox web site: m.dropbox.com. Have you tried that? (I'd try it myself but have temporarily forgotten my Dropbox password...)

And of course if you suspect your router, try wi-fi somewhere else for a second opinion.
It wont work with K3 due to Dropbox Mobile opens the file in a new window.

I'm currently (due to PDocs Service changing) using a shared folder in Dropbox which requires no log in. If I log in it just gives me can't download error unless I reboot the Kindle. This method doesn't but it sometimes takes 3 to 4 attempts to get the download message to pop up or it just loads still I stop it.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Could be that Dropbox is cruddy & slow....

Could be that your router is only set to allow a certain number of devices to connect (some routers have insanely low - for my house at least - values set for this restriction...) and what you're seeing is the result of an address conflict.

Could be that where you choose to use your Kindle is being covered by your network and interfered with from a neighbour.

Could be that the antenna on your router has a pattern that involves a dead spot (or nearly dead spot) where you were testing.

Could be a heap of things, you need to work through and find the common pattern - like if dropbox is slow on the kindle, haul yourself to the PC and try it there right there and then while it's slow on the Kindle.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Could be that Dropbox is cruddy & slow....

Could be that your router is only set to allow a certain number of devices to connect (some routers have insanely low - for my house at least - values set for this restriction...) and what you're seeing is the result of an address conflict.

Could be that where you choose to use your Kindle is being covered by your network and interfered with from a neighbour.

Could be that the antenna on your router has a pattern that involves a dead spot (or nearly dead spot) where you were testing.

Could be a heap of things, you need to work through and find the common pattern - like if dropbox is slow on the kindle, haul yourself to the PC and try it there right there and then while it's slow on the Kindle.
Router is right next to me. So it's not a signal issue seeing I have full bars on the Kindle anywhere in this small apt. Nothing is connected but my Desktop (wired) all other WiFi is off. Dropbox is super fast on my Desktop. My network is WPA2 secured. Neighbors in two units down has a network but it's secured. Other then that it's just me. I thought about trying a different channel now the people who took mine I used for years moved out.

Is there any difference in Channels? I had to change mine twice in the past year and a half due to people with the same router brand taking the one I was using.

Edit: I see almost everyone in this building is using 6 and one user on 11. I was on 7 so I switch to 8 and noticed a huge difference on the Kindle. I couldn't even connect trying 1,2,3 but at 4,5 the signal went weaker. 8 seems to be working better for me so far. I read 9 will interfere with some Microwaves so 7, 8, 10 are my choices.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-30-2011 at 05:16 PM.