Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #166
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I have got the device into uboot prompt on termite no probs. but run boot_user does not trigger the force update.
lt looks like I am missing folders from sys like fb02 (hence the e-ink issue) and also running fsck from the adb is telling me that /etc/fstab does not exists?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #167
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
I have got the device into uboot prompt on termite no probs. but run boot_user does not trigger the force update.
lt looks like I am missing folders from sys like fb02 (hence the e-ink issue) and also running fsck from the adb is telling me that /etc/fstab does not exists?
It looks like fsck.ext2 is not available in the version of busybox that ships the firmware we have. So this won't work.

On the other hand, from the logs, it's unclear whether the filesystem on the sd card or the filesystem on the device is actually the one that is corrupted. Have you formatted your SD card, dropped the update.zip on again, and tried that yet?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #168
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
It looks like fsck.ext2 is not available in the version of busybox that ships the firmware we have. So this won't work.

On the other hand, from the logs, it's unclear whether the filesystem on the sd card or the filesystem on the device is actually the one that is corrupted. Have you formatted your SD card, dropped the update.zip on again, and tried that yet?
yes, tried from both sd card and usb sticks, few of them.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #169
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Here is a file:
Substitute XXXX..XX with your serial number without BF.
Remove extension .txt.
Then execute

adb push properties /sys/class/graphics/fb2/.

from a directory where you have this file.

You might need to gain RW permissions for that.
That probably isn't going to work. The sys filesystem is created by the drivers that are loaded.
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #170
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
That probably isn't going to work. The sys filesystem is created by the drivers that are loaded.
Yes, that why I asked him to run start_epd.sh, which loads drivers for e-ink, in the next post but he never responded to that.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #171
vicinc
Guru

sys can not be accessed. I can browse but not pull even when is rw as attributes.
i can not run start_epd.sh under adb. all fb02 folder is missing, and the serial from properties under sys/class/graphics is missing.
see sh start_epd.sh results under adb
# sh start_epd.sh
sh start_epd.sh
start_epd.sh: /system/esi/bin/init_wacdsu: permission denied
start_epd.sh: /system/esi/bin/busybox: not found
#

Last edited by vicinc; 10-16-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #172
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Toyz, tekknogenius,

My parts guy came up with this for you, he thinks the P11157SCT-ND might do be what you need.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...t-nd&x=20&y=17
Just ordered a few. Now to get a propper soldering iron and the rest of the setup.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #173
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
init.rc

So I decided scew it...If I break this thing I break it....I replaced the init.rc on the local drive and the ramdisk with the nook color's...Thinking yeah this thing will fail to boot but why not...The damn thing boots up like nothing happend...I hate this stupid thing lol..Lots more reading to do to understand all of this
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #174
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Just ordered a few. Now to get a propper soldering iron and the rest of the setup.
Other than the soldering iron all you really need is a desoldering tool and some fine solder, Oh, and a steady hand

Let us know if the switch works and I'll add it to my list of parts for the edge.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #175
vicinc
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post

What if I install a different busybox? any ideas?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #176
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
What if I install a different busybox? any ideas?
Maybe. It would need to be cross-compiled. You've reached the limits of my ideas on your problem. I'm pretty surprised honestly that flashing via serial doesn't work, even with a corrupted filesystem, it should just be able to write over it with the new image.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #177
vicinc
Guru

hope you manage to get CWM working nikkie. than hope we can write any rom. it is strange they are checking the serial for rom write.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #178
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
tekknogenius, while you have your PE open could you please measure the battery for me, width, height and thickness - we might have a source of replacements if they fit.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #179
vicinc
Guru

ok. more digging here. Looks like my ubifs partition is badly "injured" (which according to ubifs zealots is impossible).
it looks like is recovery is trying to read something (i think the device serial - as I think is inserted later during update)
[ 16.404747] EXT2-fs (ram0): error: ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #4136: : directory entry across blocks - offset=1024, inode=1073783265, rec_len=41760, name_len=131
[ 16.420664] EXT2-fs (ram0): error: ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #4218: : rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0, name_len=0
[ 16.434924] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.
[ 16.447391] Rebooting in 1 seconds..
and than fails and reboots. looks like the menu / rotate buttons are working, but the recovery is crippled not to proceed if the serial on sys/class/graphics/fb2 properties is missing. anybody has an idea about a modified update.zip that does not check this?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #180
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Other than the soldering iron all you really need is a desoldering tool and some fine solder, Oh, and a steady hand

Let us know if the switch works and I'll add it to my list of parts for the edge.
Thanks.

Will do. Wish me luck! Should get the parts by tomorrow.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote