Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
stargate
stargate began at the beginning.

Device: none
mobi file metadata problem

Hello all, I am having a problem and I'm hoping some expert here can give me some help.
I have converted many of my ebooks from pdf, rtf, txt format to mobi format using the mobi reader. The title and author metadata were almost always not correct and I opened the properties from inside the mobi reader for every file and corrected them. They all look good now on the mobi reader. However when I added the files to Calibre, in order to take advantage of its better cataloging features, the metadata shown have the original incorrect data. Can anyone suggest an easy way to embed the correct data in the files without resorting to editing each one in Calibre? I have used the MBP_reader program to examine the corresponding .mbp files and the correct data for title and author are shown in there. But how can I embed these in the mobi files?
Thanks
stargate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know of any program that will take metadata from a .mbp file and put it into the Mobipocket file.

If you'd used Mobipocket Creator, you could have adjusted the data while creating the .mobi file. But adjusting it in Mobipocket Readr ONLY changes it in the .mbp file, as you've found out.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you still have the originals (pdf,rtf,txt), try importing them into Calibre. Calibre might do a better job of auto-detecting the author and title than MobiPocket Reader. Also, if you used a systematic file naming scheme Calibre can use this to set the title and author. See Preferences -> Adding books.

Finally, I find it useful to "fetch metadata from server". It can be time consuming, but typically all you need is one identifying feature. The advantage is that you get more complete info that way.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
stargate

I was afraid of that.Re-creating all the books would be too much work. But the suggestion about fetching metadata from the internet sounds not bad at all. I will try it and hopefully I will have much less books to edit manually.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
stargate

I was afraid of that.Re-creating all the books would be too much work. But the suggestion about fetching metadata from the internet sounds not bad at all. I will try it and hopefully I will have much less books to edit manually.
Thanks
Advert