Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Huh. This is odd. To me the 650 is sort of the sweet spot for size and features. Maybe they are planning to shortly roll out a 3G connected version? Hate to imagine what that'll do to the price!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Maybe next year, as the Kindle, nook and Kobo all have it, but I doubt they're feverishly re-configuring the existing model for Wifi.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 11-30-2010 at 01:21 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
... I doubt they're feverishly re-configuring the existing model for Wifi.
Love the adverb!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #19
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
What can I say -- I read a lot!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would like to see sales figures for all the current eInk reader models from the major players: Amazon, B&N, Sony, etc. However I don't think any of them have or will release those figures. I suspect the K3 models have sales of over a million units while the Sony Readers (350, 650, and 950) are probably around 100,000 or less, and probably way less. Amazon has blitzed the market place and really pushed the K3s while Sony seems to not care about sales or marketing. Sony certainly has a strange business model.

Sony had the same business model when they sold the Clie line of Palm OS PDAs. They clearly had the most innovative devices, but at an expensive price. Then just when they seemed to be on top hardware-wise, not sales-wise, they dropped out of the market literally over night. They didn't push the Clie marketing. People will not buy an item if they don't know it is available.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-30-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #21
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
It looks like the Pocket is pink or silver, the Touch is red, and the Daily is silver. That's it.
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #22
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post
It looks like the Pocket is pink or silver, the Touch is red, and the Daily is silver. That's it.
I saw both the red and the silver Touch in a supermarket here at the weekend (not the black).

I can't understand why the colour choice would be differed from country to country

The 650 is showing as 'Temporarily Unavailable' on the Sony UK website.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #23
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I lost a Black 600 in my house once. I prefer Red just to be able to find it easier. What can I say. I'm getting older and the short term memory is fading.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Odd. If Sony is only going to offer one color of each, doesn't black seem like a safer choice than red? It might be just a glitch on the website.

I would love to see sales/marketshare figures too. It's possible that Forrester has the data, but you have to pay for access to it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #25
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hesitate purchasing anything in red as a gift. It's just not a safe gift-giving color. Why make such a change this time of year?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #26
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Why make such a change this time of year?
It is very possible that they are stockpiling units for the Japan launch which is causing temporary shortages. As this is their big reentry into there home market, I would expect that they would want a large supply available.

Last edited by switchman2210; 11-30-2010 at 04:12 PM.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #27
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
My dh ordered a 650 for me on Thanksgiving night and somehow was able to get it for $179 from the Sony store online. When I checked the site a few min later it was showing the $199 again. BUT, they only had red. However, I see that Amazon still has black ones in stock. I had preferred the black but couldn't turn down that price.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman2210 View Post
It is very possible that they are stockpiling units for the Japan launch which is causing temporary shortages. As this is their big reentry into there home market, I would expect that they would want a large supply available.
Thank you.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The black 650 is back in stock. No need to worry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #30
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Who worried... I've got mine and I knew there were plenty available but everyone seems to like panicking, blaming Sony and generally frothing... I usually go with the simplest explanation which often involves website designers/programmers and human error but it has been most amusing reading this and allied threads.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote