Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Talking got my first ereader!

and it's a Sony 650!

We picked it up yesterday for my birthday. Hooray! And I already got a library book on it! I was worried that dealing with the files would be a hassle but it was really easy. I didn't even download Calibre yet, I could do it all in the Sony Reader software.

One big disappointment with my library (Brooklyn Public Library): the max lending period is 14 days!! Why? Why? I'm going to have to write to them about that. Even at 3 weeks, I was worried about not finishing books on time, I'm not a particularly fast reader. But the good news is, I found 5 books I want to read already, and only one of them has a wait right now. Also I plan on picking up an NYPL card, hopefully next week.

The formatting on the one library book I got looks perfectly fine, better than some of the books I downloaded. Really relieved about that. (Can you tell I bought this primarily as a library book device?)

I thought the page numbering would really irritate me (page number doesn't change when you turn the page), but it doesn't at all. I'm used to it already.

I dragged my whole family to the Sony store, which is nowhere near where I live, so I could get the $50 in free ebooks. Well, their computer system was down so they couldn't register the cards! But they are going to mail them to me.

I have already had this conversation a few times, I'm sure every Sony Reader owner has had it:

"I got an ereader!" "A what?" "A Sony Reader!" "A what?" "A Kindle, but made by Sony." "Oh cool!"

Sigh. Even my 5-year-old calls it a Kindle.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it already and I'm looking forward to learning more tips and tricks from you guys.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
roobaroo
roobaroo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T1 (White)
I know the feeling. I got my e-reader on friday! It was a complete impulse buy. Obsessed with it for two days and then boom! I ordered it online. After 2 days, I gotta say, I love my PRS-650.
roobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Welcome elemenoP and roobaroo, have fun with your Sony reader ! I've had mine a couple of weeks now, and I'm really glad I decided on the Sony. It's a great device !

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
One big disappointment with my library (Brooklyn Public Library): the max lending period is 14 days!! Why? Why? I'm going to have to write to them about that.
At least you library has ebooks. Mine doesn't They're still "looking into it".

Quote:
I have already had this conversation a few times, I'm sure every Sony Reader owner has had it:

"I got an ereader!" "A what?" "A Sony Reader!" "A what?" "A Kindle, but made by Sony." "Oh cool!"
The conversation I usually have goes like this:
"I bought an e-reader"
"A what ?"
"Something you can read books on digitally. You know, ebooks ?"
"Why would you need something like THAT ? Can't you read paper books like normal people ?"

E-readers aren't that common in Belgium.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Roobaroo, I was actually obsessed for several months! I had gadget paralysis! I really thought I was going to get a Nook, I have even been stockpiling free ebooks from B&N for a while. But when they didn't come out with a newer e-ink model this season, I started looking into the Sony. I'm thrilled with it, now I just might have to find a way to... ahem... use all those B&N books that I legally own.

Iridal, that sucks that your library doesn't have ebooks. My local library is closed for renovations for TWO YEARS and I'm having withdrawals. Hence the need for an ereader.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
Congratulations!

I've had my 650 for almost a month now. You'll love it.
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Me too
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I feel your pain about the public library, my local library Montgomery County has outsourced the elibrary function to overdrive.com who would prefer to deal with audio books then ebooks.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Overdrive has lots of ebooks, you need to discuss this with your library's acquisitions folks.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I feel your pain about the public library, my local library Montgomery County has outsourced the elibrary function to overdrive.com who would prefer to deal with audio books then ebooks.
Amen. My own local library system in Norfolk doesn't even offer ebooks. The one in Virginia Beach did, although they too used Overdrive and that was mostly audiobooks. But right about the time I got my first eReader, Va. Beach decided they were going to charge nonresidents $35 a year for a library card. Norfolk gives one free to all Virginia residents, and it's well out of my way to go to the Beach library now, so I let my card expire - wasn't going to shell out $35 a year for something I rarely used.
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, ElemenoP. And glad to hear you're so happy with your Sony -- great wee devices (but DO download Calibre because the Sony library software leaves a lot to be desired). Good luck, happy reading and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
One big disappointment with my library (Brooklyn Public Library): the max lending period is 14 days!! Why? Why? I'm going to have to write to them about that. Even at 3 weeks, I was worried about not finishing books on time, I'm not a particularly fast reader.
I think someone on this forum has said that if you don't connect your reader to your computer after the due date, you'll still be able to read the books on your reader. I haven't tried it myself, though.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I've also heard that if you set the date back on your reader you can extend the 'shelf life' of your library books.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I can definitely confirm changing the date on the Reader will allow you to carry the library book longer.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
dminoz
Enthusiast
dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Hi elemenoP, good choice of reader. If you end up loving your 650 as much as I love mine, you'll be fine. Also, +1 for what Neil said about Calibre, it's definitely an essential part of the package if you want to have a good level of control over your ebooks and how they look and read.
dminoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
darli80
darli80 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs650
glad to hear you love the Sony PRS650; I have read several library books on mine, and love it. So easy to read in bed, and not bother my husband with noisy page turns, as he is a light sleeper. I was worried about not having a case, but found a $7 sleeve with a pocket for the charger, which will fit nicely in a tote. Otherwise, I have just slipped the reader in my purse, with the screen against my soft wallet, and no problem.
darli80 is offline   Reply With Quote