Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Geo restriction confusion

I just purchased 3 books from amazon.com with an account set up with an American address despite the fact that I live outside the US. They were purchased as 3 separate "one click" transactions...for my "kindle for pc". I don't have a kindle-I have a cybook Gen 3 which reads .mobi files.

Another website from my country told me that those books were not available here.

I went to buy a 4th book in the same series MINUTES after the first three and amazon.com popped up a message about attempting to purchase an item while not in the country listed on my account.

Why was the 4th purchase affected and not the first 3? Same author, same publisher, purchases within minutes of each other.

Is there any way around this for my fourth purchase?
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
You have angered the Kindle Gods!!!!!

Try putting in your correct address on the Manage My Kindle page and either buy something (a really cheap or free book) or download a couple of prior purchases.

Wait a couple of days

And then put it back to a US address. When you do this you might try buying via gift card rather than a non-US credit card if that's what you've been using.

No guarantees but some other people have reported that it works.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
maybe the popup was for all the purchases rather than the 4th one?
although amazon are pretty fast when it comes to noticing these things.

although you shouldn't even be able to click the "buy" button if the book has geo-restrictions. you could call CS... or follow abookreader's advice... although more and more users have started to report emails from amazon where they are asked to verify that they indeed have the "US" address.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nokia E63, Kindle 2
I have two kindle accounts. One is in the US Store, with a former US address of when I lived there, linked to my K4PC and to my iPhone.
The other one is linked to my current Brazilian address, linked to the actual Kindle. Two different e-mails, and never use the 3G to download US content.

It is troublesome that I have to strip the DRM to use things from the US account, but it is doable, and not prone to accidentally giving up my real address.

Edit: I'm not a US citizen, I just lived there for a while when my wife was getting her LLM, so I'm not entitled to an US account while abroad.

Last edited by bspline; 10-01-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: above
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote