Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Finally got my hands on one

After briefly using a PRS350, I will add my voice to the many who say that it is much better than the previous generation readers. I had tried an earlier Sony Reader and found the contrast too low for my tastes.

Although the new Pearl screens are still far from having the contrast of a real sheet of paper (especially in low light), they are a noticeable improvement. The contrast is at a point where I find it usable.

As for the other improvements, I love the new touch screen and the dictionary support. The user interface is mostly intuitive, with only a few references to the manual required. For basic reading without using the fancy features, no manual is needed.

One thing I would very much like to see Sony add is additional dictionaries. I would gladly pay to download more dictionaries. The included multi-lingual dictionaries are wonderful, but the ability to add specialty dictionaries would be even better.

The first specialty dictionary I would add is one of Latin phrases. Such phrases are often used in fiction. French is also frequently seen in English fiction, but a French dictionary is already included. For non fiction, technical dictionaries (medical, computer, etc.) would be of use to some.

In any case, I think it would be very smart if Sony would publish an API and specification for how to add third party dictionaries to the new readers. I know that Sony is using ADE, but I don't know if the dictionary capability is Sony's or Adobe's. If Adobe's, then they should come forward with this information.

To sum things up, I like the PRS350 very much. However, the screen is a bit small (or my eyes are getting older), so I'm going to get a PRS650.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I also would like the ability to add dictionaries (regular French and French <-> German in my case), but I doubt it will be doable, considering how it wasn't possible on the previous generation as far as I know, and they didn't bother adapting dictionaries to different countries : German devices get OED and the American dictionary as the main dictionaries.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I would love a Latin dictionary as well. Perhaps we will see Sony offering the possibility to buy additional dictionaries in the future - I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
After using a PRS350 for a few days, I have decided to go for it and get a PRS650 of my own. Yesterday, a black PRS650 and a red cover with light was ordered. Today, I got an email saying that the cover was shipped. I wonder when I'll get the reader?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote