Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
The Hemingway Collection

I wonder has anyone bought this complete collection of all Hemingway's work. It should be available in the US. It's £99.99 on Amazon UK and €168 on Kobo. It is eligible for coupons so 75% off would be a very reasonable €42.

Is it worth buying? I'm not really familiar with Hemingway's work beyond the major novels which I haven't read yet. I have read some of his prose and I do like his style. I might buy the novels individually. I really like the new covers from Simon & Schuster.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
I wonder has anyone bought this complete collection of all Hemingway's work. It should be available in the US. It's £99.99 on Amazon UK and €168 on Kobo. It is eligible for coupons so 75% off would be a very reasonable €42.

Is it worth buying? I'm not really familiar with Hemingway's work beyond the major novels which I haven't read yet. I have read some of his prose and I do like his style. I might buy the novels individually. I really like the new covers from Simon & Schuster.
Hello,

I used to read some Hemingway quite a bit when I was younger. At this time I liked e.g. the Nick Adams Stories or Death in the Afternoon better than the novels.

just a point of data.

cu Andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

I'd say the question is rather subjective. If you really like Hemingway then I imagine it might be a good deal depending on what €42 is in u.s. $'s.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:

I've only read A Farewell to Arms, and A Moveable Feast, but my golly they were good. I'd think that the Kobo editions with a 75% off coupon (or the odd 90% coupon) would be well worth it. (In fact I'm going to look into this myself now that you've mentioned it.

PS have you looked at India's prices? They may be even better value.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I would try samples or the "look inside" feature on Amazon's website if you are unsure whether you will like his works.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I've read and reread most Hemingway, but have no ebooks. I'd love to have some. The Sun Also Rises and For Who the Bell Tolls are my favourites.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm looking forward to the next Kobo competition.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I've read and reread most Hemingway, but have no ebooks. I'd love to have some. The Sun Also Rises and For Who the Bell Tolls are my favourites.
There are a few available at gutenberg.ca. I expect that more will show up over time (provided that the Canadian government doesn't succumb to the pressure to extend the copyright durations before then).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
There are a few available at gutenberg.ca. I expect that more will show up over time (provided that the Canadian government doesn't succumb to the pressure to extend the copyright durations before then).
If they don't retroactively restore copyrights, Hemingway will still be in the public domain in Canada, and there will just be nothing new in the public domain for the next 20 years.

This collection is not available in the US. My guess is that as an American author, Scribner doesn't have the rights to some of his work. Scribner could sell it in Canada though.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
corroonb
Addict

The Amazon sample of the Hemingway Collection contains the complete text of A Farewell to Arms. I guess the sample must be generated automatically based on a certain percentage of the whole book.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The percentage seems to vary by each book how much is shown. It's not consistent in my experience. I'm surprised you get a whole novel! However you could download samples of a few of the individual books to get a better flavor of his works.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote