Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #616
MetalOllie
MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcwarren View Post
i tried the 3.0 firmware on my mini and it broke it. wifi stopped working, so did usb also the home screen images where to large. so it was out with the screwdriver to fix it.
Just out of curiousity.. a screwdriver?? What did it do that required a screwdriver? Wouldn't reflashing back to an older firmware have sorted it?
MetalOllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #617
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
mini and firmware 3.0

@russellcwarren

Sorry to hear the mini upgrade went wrong.

My mini experience was different.
The only noticeable flaw was the slightly too big cover images on the opening screen.

All functions are working for me.

I just upgraded in the conventional way
- extract to the .kobo directory the three files
- unmount
- unplug wait for kobo to restart

could it be you used the mark3 file intended for the original touch model
rather than the mark4 for the mini etc?

later

2bits
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #618
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the 3.0.0 firmware release, the two versions I've seen are found at:

For the original Touch (N905/N905B)
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-3.0.0.zip
Downloaded it, unzipped it.
Now I have KoboRoot.tgz and a manifest.md5sum
How do I install this? Just copy them to the root foldfer of my Kobo Touch and reboot?
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #619
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
just drop the 2 files into directory

.kobo

unmount
unplug
wait for kobo to upgrade to new firmware

restart should be auto magic

This is the best upgrade ever for the touch

Browser works a treat

2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #620
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx.

Works great, but best of all, I don't need windows anymore for my firmware updates.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #621
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question Where's the Model Number?

Hello:

I happened to see, when Calibre updated, that it was adding support for version 3.0 of the firmware of the Touch, so my ears perked up. I see all kinds of references to model numbers in this thread (N905, N905C, etc.) but I can't see any reference to a model number on my "Device Information" page at all.

I am also interested in knowing why, if the 3.0 software is out and has been for a while, my Kobo Touch (original model) hasn't updated? Is there a thread that sets out, in some detail, how (exactly) to go about downloading and installing the update manually?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #622
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo ALWAYS stagger these roll outs so it can take several weeks until all devices get it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #623
LinuxArie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
I see all kinds of references to model numbers in this thread (N905, N905C, etc.) but I can't see any reference to a model number on my "Device Information" page at all.
On your home page :
settings -> device information -> serial number

My serial number starts with N905B

Last edited by LinuxArie; 11-16-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: corrected some typo's
Old 11-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #624
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Smile

Mine starts with KG31B! I guess mine must be out in left field!

Sparky

Edited 17 Nov 13: I found the model number of mine - N905 - on the base of the Kobo, near the connector!

Last edited by TheArtfulDodger; 11-17-2013 at 09:01 AM.
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #625
russellcwarren
russellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOllie View Post
Just out of curiousity.. a screwdriver?? What did it do that required a screwdriver? Wouldn't reflashing back to an older firmware have sorted it?
the update broke usb connectivity, so i had to remove the internal sd and dd a previously saved image back to it.

2bits

i dont think i downloaded the wrong one. could you let me know the md5sum of the one you used please?
russellcwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #626
MetalOllie
MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcwarren View Post
the update broke usb connectivity, so i had to remove the internal sd and dd a previously saved image back to it.

2bits

i dont think i downloaded the wrong one. could you let me know the md5sum of the one you used please?
Ouch! What a pain in the butt! Mine is a Touch, so perhaps it's a compatibility issue.. have to confess to being quite new to ereaders!

The zip MD5 is 2f93e96be9a9e87393ef3d13ce5e930b and the Kobo Firmware .tgz file is c136431831670f60358da6f408d0e8af

Hope that helps..

In the meantime.. anyone have any ideas why I don't have proper covers on standby, just text? I've discovered that switching off full screen cover gives me a proper cover, but obviously, it's not full screen (duh!).. On full screen, I just get a text summary, and I don't much like it..!
MetalOllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #627
Guymarble
Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Guymarble , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi, I have just downloaded the 3.0.0 firmware for my Aura HD however when i connected my Kobo to my Mac there is no .kobo folder showing up I have tried showing hidden folders but still doesn't appear.

UPDATE: Sorry worked it out

Last edited by Guymarble; 11-16-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Guymarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #628
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Mine starts with KG31B! I guess mine must be out in left field!
The model number is printed on the end of the device with the USB socket. But, with that serial number, it is either an N905 or N905B.

And as the others have said, Kobo stagger the rollout of the firmware. In this case, 2.10.0 and 3.0.0 have come so close together that some people are only just receiving 2.10.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #629
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Firmware upgrade for Kobo WiFi

There's a firmware update for the Kobo WiFi to 1.9.11.

To download it use:

download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo2/kobo-update-1.9.11.zip

Been quite a while since the last update for the WiFi. No idea at this time as to what this update does. I do remember a while back that the last batches of Kobo Wifi's came with a firmware version 1.9.10 with no update for older units. One Kobo developer commented that there were no changes from the 1.9.0 firmware.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #630
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I slapped 3.0 on my Glo yesterday, koboroot.tgz only, and it worked a charm. (What are those other files for, anyway?)

Love having the full screen sleep book cover back, even if I rarely see it (sleepcover).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote