Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
can sigil convert html entities to regular punctuation?

I've been looking for an easy way to compose a novel and then seamlessly transfer it to Sigil for the end processing. The best thing I've come up so far is Libre Office (File-->New-->HTML document) and then taking the .html to Sigil. But in Sigil a lot of the punctuation marks show up as html entities. (Which is difficult for me to deal with.) Is there any way that once I'm in Sigil I can convert those html entities (see screenshot) back into regular punctuation marks? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil.PNG
Views:	305
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	107374  
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Not that I know of. Sometimes you can see them as characters (I believe when you edit in Bookview), but it gets transferred back to entities later.
I actually like that, it makes a lot of things easier to see, but I can imagine that is not for everyone.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I've been looking for an easy way to compose a novel and then seamlessly transfer it to Sigil for the end processing. The best thing I've come up so far is Libre Office (File-->New-->HTML document) and then taking the .html to Sigil. But in Sigil a lot of the punctuation marks show up as html entities. (Which is difficult for me to deal with.) Is there any way that once I'm in Sigil I can convert those html entities (see screenshot) back into regular punctuation marks? Thanks.
In code view you can do a search and replace.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Might be a little tedious to set up, but you could add more 'Saved Searches' with the entities that you find you need to replace often.

Sigil comes with a number already built in

You'd also have to run a possibly large number of Saved Searches one at a time, but it's still easier than manually changing them

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	107379  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Might be a little tedious to set up, but you could add more 'Saved Searches' with the entities that you find you need to replace often.

You'd also have to run a possibly large number of Saved Searches one at a time, but it's still easier than manually changing them

Paul
Sigil does come with a bunch of them saved...you can definitely add more like I did:

You can also run the entire group of Searches by selecting the group name and then "Replace All".

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (45).png
Views:	287
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	107382  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate you getting back to me.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
is there not a toggle in Libre Office to control whether HTML entities are used, or not? I know that MS office has one
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Although you can replace them, in essence they are the same. In fact, I seem to recall that sometimes the characters are converted to their entities.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are they just 'difficult' because they're unfamiliar? They'll soon become familiar as you use Sigil more. No need to give yourself extra work.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I can certainly use the entities, but it is much more natural to use the actual character. My brain doesn't have to do the interpretation, and I'm all about doing things the lazy...errr...I mean...efficient way!

AFAIK, there is no need to use the entity...except of course for the "&". And I also remember someone mentioning that ePub3 doesn't allow the use of named entities, only the numerical code...

The saved search I have is just a click away and it transforms all of the entities. That....efficient...use of time is something I am willing to do!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Although you can replace them, in essence they are the same. In fact, I seem to recall that sometimes the characters are converted to their entities.
I think there are only a few of these and it was done in order to make them visible. nbsp and shy spring to mind. All of the visible characters are kept as they are by Sigil I believe.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
is there not a toggle in Libre Office to control whether HTML entities are used, or not? I know that MS office has one
I didn't see anything like that. And I only have MS Office Word 2003 and didn't see anything there either. (I wish there was!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Are they just 'difficult' because they're unfamiliar? They'll soon become familiar as you use Sigil more. No need to give yourself extra work.
I tried to get used to them, wombat. Just couldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post

Paul
I was wondering why you said I'd need to replace "often" and run "a possibly large number" of saved searches. Wouldn't it be just a one time deal? Open the html doc in Sigil. Run the saved search. Then all is changed over. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I can certainly use the entities, but it is much more natural to use the actual character. My brain doesn't have to do the interpretation, and I'm all about doing things the lazy...errr...I mean...efficient way!

The saved search I have is just a click away and it transforms all of the entities. That....efficient...use of time is something I am willing to do!
I think I'm going to have to get more familiar with saved searches, Turtle. I never used them before. (It seems like a pretty painless solution. Better than starting with a MS Word doc and having to clean up all that crap.)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Instead of going from a LibreOffice doc to HTML to open in Sigil you could try adding the writer2xhtml extension to LO which allows directly exporting to EPUB. One of the options there is to use or not use html entities.

That way you create a file without any entities in it and you don't have to worry about converting them.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
...Is there any way that once I'm in Sigil I can convert those html entities (see screenshot) back into regular punctuation marks? Thanks.
In Sigil you can't do it (except with find & replace) but you can do something BEFORE importing the .html files in Sigil.

What you must do is to use the following inline converter:

http://www.convertstring.com/EncodeDecode/HtmlDecode

Just copy ALL the html source code in the respective window, press the buttom "Html Decode!" and in the "decoded text window" of the site, you'll have the .html code ready to paste it in Sigil (of course, you also can paste that code in your original .html file, save it, and then import it in Sigi).

Hopefully this can be of help.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't see anything like that. And I only have MS Office Word 2003 and didn't see anything there either. (I wish there was!)
i was thinking of this setting, but maybe it is not relevant:

you see this settings in "Word options" under office button on the top left corner of the word, then select "Advanced" and keep scrolling down to the area until you see "Show document content" and turn off the setting named:- "Show field codes instead of their values"
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote