Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Switching books with one button ?

Is there a way to switch between two books by pressing a button?
I would like to be able to read a book and when after pressing a button, the reader switches to another dictionary book. The two books could be the last 2 books read or, the last book read and a fixed or pre-set bookname.
Is this possible?
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Not with a single button, but I do it with two presses. I use the "All Bookmarks" page to switch between books, but you have to train yourself to set a bookmark when you stop reading.

You can access the "All Bookmarks" page by holding down the "Mark" button for 5 seconds.

But if the "All Bookmarks" page is the last menu you accessed (such as if you went to a book by selecting a bookmark from the "All Bookmarks" page), you can access it by single clicking the "Menu" button.

I.E. I'm in book A, and want to switch to book B (assuming I have a bookmark already set in book B!): I set a bookmark in A (so I can get back to it later), click on the Menu button (or hold down the Mark button for 5 seconds if I wasn't at the Bookmarks page last), then select a bookmark from book B.

This kinda requires a bit of self-training to work well: you have to remember to set and un-set bookmarks as you go. Set them so you can find your way back with this method, and unset them so the Bookmarks page doesn't get all cluttered up.

I hope that helps, and that it's clear enough to follow.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, yeah, this method isn't restricted to the last two books read, you can use it for whatever number of books/bookmarks you find convenient.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the tip Natch.
I', afraid I find your suggestion requires too much work for everyday use. Remember that I want it for "quick" dictionary lookups.
There has to be a way to associate a script that opens a book and/or "continue reading" a book.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

There may well be, but it's beyond my ken, I'm afraid.

There are a few members who get to that level of tinkering, though, so one of them may have a better idea.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
Thanks for the tip Natch.
I', afraid I find your suggestion requires too much work for everyday use. Remember that I want it for "quick" dictionary lookups.
There has to be a way to associate a script that opens a book and/or "continue reading" a book.
Ret I take great offense that you actually think your lazier than I

I actually use the same approach Natch mentioned above. It is actually no work really. Plus once you start toggling between books you are going to realize it is a good practice in general to mark your books.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Ret
Connoisseur

hehehe
The thing is that I read a lot of books in french, italian and english (being spanish my mother tongue) so I need to almost constantly lookup for some words.
I managed to do that with my EB1150 reader and I'd like to have something similar on my Sony reader. So far, bookmarks is the closest to what I need
Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
hehehe
The thing is that I read a lot of books in french, italian and english (being spanish my mother tongue) so I need to almost constantly lookup for some words.
I managed to do that with my EB1150 reader and I'd like to have something similar on my Sony reader. So far, bookmarks is the closest to what I need
Wow that is pretty impressive.

BTW there was a tool written by Clemenseken he called a Dictionary but his original design was really more of a translator. Lisa and I put some efforts to make it a viable dictionary. The tool has some draw backs but worth a look.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I just use the all bookmarks method myself. Easy as pie.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #10
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
hehehe
You can also buy a second Reader, glue it back to back with the first and you will have the dictionary right at the other side. Costly, yes, but lazyproof

Now, getting slightly more serious. I used to take to the dictionary quite a lot and I found pretty handy one of these Franklin-Collins digital dictionaries. They are the size of a calculator and you can have as many languages as you need. If you use the dictionary a lot, you might want one of these. Mine cost about 90 € in 1995 and my wife uses it now. They should be cheaper and better now.

This is their web. Mine was similar to the Larousse French-English. There was one with interchangeable language cartridges I can't find at the moment.

http://www.franklin.com/handhelds/bi..._dictionaries/
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #11
Ret
Connoisseur

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Still it would be nice to be able to switch between books with a key press