Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #391
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Sil_liS
After all the things that have been said about Apple maps, how can anyone use them?
Some people enjoy pain, to each their own...
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Some people enjoy pain, to each their own...
Hope and Faith spring eternal in the Apple devotee's breast!

That said, a word of caution must be spoken about relying too heavily on a GPS even a dedicated GPS especially in bad weather or bad terrain.

Been there a few times.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #392
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Former Apple Evangelist Guy Kawasaki Explains Why He’s A Diehard Android

Quote:
Guy Kawasaki was one of the Apple employees behind the legendary marketing of its 1984 Macintosh, and he’s well known among the Apple community for being a former evangelist of the Cupertino company. You might think, then, that when Kawasaki’s phone rings, it’s an iPhone he pulls out of his pocket.
Well that couldn’t be further from the truth. Kawasaki’s a diehard Android fan, and he has been for about a year. He no longer uses any iOS products at all — not even an iPad.
(...)
To me the great irony is that Apple’s slogan was ‘Think Different,’ but today if you think different you’re looking at Android.”
Source
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #393
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Amazing!

Thanks for that.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #394
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Hope and Faith spring eternal in the Apple devotee's breast!

That said, a word of caution must be spoken about relying too heavily on a GPS even a dedicated GPS especially in bad weather or bad terrain.

Been there a few times.
Mother of God.

Guys--there's this thing, it's called a MAP. It's on--gasp!--PAPER. Seriously, does anyone genuinely rely on GPS? Without a map backup?

Hitch
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #395
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Mother of God.

Guys--there's this thing, it's called a MAP. It's on--gasp!--PAPER. Seriously, does anyone genuinely rely on GPS? Without a map backup?

Hitch
Quite a few reported cases... people ending up in the wrong country because they chose the wrong version of a city, following directions through a river "because the GPS said it was the way to go!" and more...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #396
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Quite a few reported cases... people ending up in the wrong country because they chose the wrong version of a city, following directions through a river "because the GPS said it was the way to go!" and more...
NOOOOOOOOO, really?

I was being just a teeny-weeny bit facetious in my post. Just a bit. But it's good to be reminded that my opinion about GPS is supported by actual fact, <g>.

Hitch
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #397
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I don't know that Kawasaki's testimonial is "amazing" any more than figureheads should be castigated or lionized arbitrarily. But I did find this bit amusing:

Quote:
"Another thing I like with Android is, they don't have some stupid proprietary cable. I can go to any hotel front desk and, if I've forgotten my cable, they always have a micro-USB around. I can use my Nexus 7 and it's on the same cable as my Samsung Galaxy S3. What a concept! A standard cable."
Wozniak's admiration of Android gear seems a bit less compromised than Kawasaki's, though, because he's not actually being paid by Samsung to write pro-Android tracts. G.K. makes his conversion sound completely product-based and yet he'd already written the book advocating Android before certain of the devices he cites as turning points were actually on the market.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #398
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOO, really?

I was being just a teeny-weeny bit facetious in my post. Just a bit. But it's good to be reminded that my opinion about GPS is supported by actual fact, <g>.

Hitch
You need to be more obvious when being facetious about something idiots actually do...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #399
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
G.K. makes his conversion sound completely product-based and yet he'd already written the book advocating Android before certain of the devices he cites as turning points were actually on the market.
He never really says the S3 was the turning point device for him. And there were 4G Samsung phones out prior to the S3. So I'm not sure that passage is at all odd.

However, there are some Galaxy tabs with proprietary cables. So it's not as if you can always use a standard micro USB cable.

--Pat
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #400
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Long thread. Must be a big lunch.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #401
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Android kicking iOS out of the land of Oz

Quote:
In some markets, though, Android is just warming up. In Australia, for instance, Android smartphones have only started overtaking the iPhone. This year so far, 67% of smartphones sold down under were Android devices. Summing up total smartphone usage in the country, Android has overtaken the iPhone, with a 44% market share, versus the iPhone’s 43%, as reported by Australian market research firm Telsyte.
Source
Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #402
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOO, really?

Hitch
http://www.katu.com/news/local/80219837.html
http://www.katu.com/news/local/80252852.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...after_gps.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...nfallible.html

And these are just the 1st few stories I found looking for a story I remembered reading in an Oregon newspaper. If I'd broadened the search I'm certain I could have found many more-unless there's something 'special' about Oregon?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #403
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Are you quite certain your moniker is PatNY and not Fun with Pointless Exceptions?

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

"No, it isn't. It's exactly the same color!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
He never really says the S3 was the turning point device for him. And there were 4G Samsung phones out prior to the S3. So I'm not sure that passage is at all odd.
His identifying the Nexus 7 as the next stage of his conversion locates the timeframe so precisely that his book proves anachronistic to the alleged conversion no matter which Android phone he owned. Besides which, if the phone in question was owned right before the Nexus 7, then the SIII or SII are the likeliest (though not 100% certain) candidates, esp. since he happens to be a Samsung man.

No amount of tap-dancing can erase the mercenary aspect of Kawasaki's advocacy, nor does his being mercenary mean G.K. is inherently evil, insincere, etc. It just means he isn't the white knight that zealous advocates of Android would like him to be. And by the way: Let's not have white knights of any flavor -- Apple, Android, Windows, etc., etc. -- despite the internet tendency to dub anyone who makes an agreeable point Meme Saint of the Day.

Quote:
However, there are some Galaxy tabs with proprietary cables. So it's not as if you can always use a standard micro USB cable.
Though you might find examples of proprietary cables in the short but dizzyingly diverse history of Android, Kawasaki's basic point -- that most Android devices simply require micro-to-USB and that this is an improvement for the user over Apple's connector glee = Zombie Consumer Sandtrap strategy -- still holds muster, Buster.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-13-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #404
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Modern GPS does include maps. Those maps are often more up to date than paper maps. The key is to use your discretion. Avoid bad roads. Ensure the maps are preloaded. Make sure your device is charged. Check the results. Trust your eyes when on the road. Most of those things have to be done with paper maps as well as with GPS and paper.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #405
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
But what's for lunch?
Closed Thread