Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
UChicago Press free eBook of the month

The University of Chicago's free eBook of the month for October is
Inside the Presidential Debates: Their Improbable Past and Promising Future
by Newton N. Minow and Craig L. LaMay

The book can be obtained by following this link to the press' web site, providing an email address, and downloading via Adobe Digital Editions. As with most of their titles, this one is a (DRMed) PDF.

Quote:
Newton Minow was the originator of the televised presidential debate and has been the foremost promoter of them for more than fifty years. He is uniquely qualified to tell the story of the debates: their creation, evolution, and the role they play in our elections.
Quote:
“There may be no one alive who cares more about America’s democracy than Newton Minow, who was there at the creation of the modern political debate. The riveting first-person stories he and Craig LaMay tell of debates in one election after another take us to the heart of American political life and argue for a continued central role for debates in our electoral process. Their book is must reading for anyone who wants to understand how to ensure that comes about.”—Judy Woodruff
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

November's free eBook from the U of Chicago Press is
How to Do It: Guides to Good Living for Renaissance Italians
by Rudolph M. Bell

The book can be obtained by following this link to the press' web site, providing an email address, and downloading via Adobe Digital Editions. As with most of their titles, this one is a (DRMed) PDF.

Quote:
How to Do It shows us sixteenth-century Italy from an entirely new perspective: through manuals which were staples in the households of middlebrow Italians merely trying to lead better lives. Addressing challenges such as how to conceive a boy, the manuals offered suggestions such as tying a tourniquet around your husband's left testicle. Or should you want to goad female desires, throw 90 grubs in a liter of olive oil, let steep in the sun for a week and apply liberally on the male anatomy. Bell's journey through booklets long dismissed by scholars as being of little literary value gives us a refreshing and surprisingly fun social history.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Oh dear me. I see men all over this forum cringing and crossing their legs as they read that little blurb!

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
"I MUST HAVE THIS BOOK!" said no man ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Oh dear me. I see men all over this forum cringing and crossing their legs as they read that little blurb!

banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
In fairness to the men on the forum, I found a nasty little section about how to tell if an unborn baby is a boy or girl.

Quote:
Or else try inserting roots of aristolochia (birthwort) in a honey-soaked wad of uncombed wool into her vagina, leaving it there from early morning until noon; then put it in your mouth. A sweet taste means a boy, sour a girl; if it tastes neither sweet nor sour, then the woman is not pregnant.
Now I'm cringing and crossing my legs!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Always up for a bit of wincing -- clicked on the link.

People who cringe and scissor their limbs reading the quoted entries on this thread should try looking at the photos in ReSearch #12 (Modern Primitives). Now there's a book I'd rather not peruse again. My friend heard me groaning all the way down the hall.

Thanks for the notice, though!

Edit: In case you're curious.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-02-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
elaysee
Groupie

The tourniquet advice seemed like the sort of thing a couple would buy into if they had six kids all the same sex, not much knowledge of science, and a great deal of desperation.

I wondered more how anyone would believe that eau de week-old grubs could attract anyone, or whether you'd want any of the resultant attention. Maybe the zombie legends actually come from Renaissance Italy.