Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
DX Case and light combo - can't decide :-(

As I've heard that the Kindle DX(G) is very fragile, I'm interested in a case for protection and comfort of holding the K while reading. I also want a light for best readabiliy. Notice that I'll mostly use the KDXG at home, never while commuting or on the beach.

I'm torn between these three options for my new DXG:

"Amazon" combo:
  1. $55 The new Amazon leather cover.
  2. $05 Smak-Dav Clip for preventing the cover from cracking the DX.
  3. $20 Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light (Kindle Version) Black

At $80, the Amazon's combo advantage is that its items are by far the best selling ones in the DX Covers and the DX Reading Lights categories. Disatvantages are that (at least the old version of the) cover is known to crack the kindle's screen, and that the light isn't integrated with the DX and might scratch the screen(Amazon reviewer image).

The other alternative is the "m-edge combo":
  1. $50 M-Edge Executive Leather Kindle DX Jacket
  2. $25 M-Edge e-Luminator2 Kindle DX Booklight

So for $75 the m-edge combo offers good ratings and intergration. Disadvantages is that the light is not so bright.

The dark horse is - buy nothing, read under a lamp, and try not to drop the KDXG or spill anything on it.

So - help me decide - what alternative is the best?

Last edited by avinatbezeq; 07-12-2010 at 06:13 AM.
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Mike4672
Mike4672 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, LG G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post
As I've heard that the Kindle DX(G) is very fragile, I'm interested in a case for protection and comfort of holding the K while reading. I also want a light for best readabiliy. Notice that I'll mostly use the KDXG at home, never while commuting or on the beach.

I'm torn between these three options for my new DXG:

"Amazon" combo:
  1. $55 The new Amazon leather cover.
  2. $05 Smak-Dav Clip for preventing the cover from cracking the DX.
  3. $20 Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light (Kindle Version) Black

At $80, the Amazon's combo advantage is that its items are by far the best selling ones in the DX Covers and the DX Reading Lights categories. Disatvantages are that (at least the old version of the) cover is known to crack the kindle's screen, and that the light isn't integrated with the DX and might scratch the screen(Amazon reviewer image).

The other alternative is the "m-edge combo":
  1. $50 M-Edge Executive Leather Kindle DX Jacket
  2. $25 M-Edge e-Luminator2 Kindle DX Booklight

So for $75 the m-edge combo offers good ratings and intergration. Disadvantages is that the light is not so bright.

The dark horse is - buy nothing, read under a lamp, and try not to drop the KDXG or spill anything on it.

So - help me decide - what alternative is the best?
You might want to take into consideration the additional weight that a case will entail. I have a case for my Kindle DX, which I never use because of the additional weight. Adding the case causes the Kindle DX to weigh at least as much as an iPad and perhaps more. It's not very comfortable to hold with the case, at least not for me.

I hold my Kindle DX without a case, or I put it on a stand for those times when I want to read hands free.

I do have a case that I use to transport it with, so that it's protected, it's a
Timbuk2, which I bought from Amazon for $24.99.
Mike4672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have used both the Amazon DX case and the M-Edge DX case. If you're positive you're never going to take the DX out of your house, the Amazon case works just dandy, and is the lightest case option that I know of.

The M-Edge is heavier but offers superb security (4-point corner grips) and protection. I'd opt for this if you might carry the DX out of your house.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4672 View Post
You might want to take into consideration the additional weight that a case will entail. ... It's not very comfortable to hold with the case, at least not for me.

I hold my Kindle DX without a case, or I put it on a stand for those times when I want to read hands free.
Thank you for your answer. I have the Atlas book holder which I intend to use.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
...The M-Edge is heavier but offers superb security (4-point corner grips) and protection. I'd opt for this if you might carry the DX out of your house.
Thanks.

I'm so worried of the Kindle screen breaking that I think I'll go for the "security" option. However, is the matching e-Luminator2 good enough?
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post
Thanks.

I'm so worried of the Kindle screen breaking that I think I'll go for the "security" option. However, is the matching e-Luminator2 good enough?
It's OK. I have yet to find a light that will evenly illuminate the entire DX screen. There's lots of threads in many forums - just search for "light" and browse - everyone has an opinion on this.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Thanks for the answers. I bought the M-Edge case for its "superb security", and will not buy lights for the time being.