Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 03-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Do "Most" Ares Drain Battery Fast ? (and Mars?)

MY previous post about Ares should have been more to the point and I dfon't know how to delete it.

There are reports of the Likebook Ares consuming battery power much faster than most devices.

Is this a common occurance, or just luck of the draw?

Two specific reports in here say it's almost a daily charge, and the other that it is kept plugged in and turned off if not in use.

I wanted to use an Ares as a daily eReader, same as a Kobo Forma, with at least similar expectations on battery. But, is it as simple as Kobo lasts weeks for reading but Android E-Ink lasts days?

Would love to see some Ares user experiences here.

(ps- does the Mars drain similarly?)

Last edited by jgbout; 03-14-2021 at 11:28 AM.
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
Would love to see some Ares user experiences here.
Why should they write something now?
If they had had different experiences than me, they would have contradicted me.
Quote:
(ps- does the Mars drain similarly?)
As far as I can remember - much less.

Btw: Kobo Forma has a very small battery - the runtime is certainly no longer than that of the Boox Nova 3, for example.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-14-2021 at 11:41 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Anyone ever call you crass mate?
Seriously, helpful replies, just not the most polite.
Please, let anyone else reply if they'd like. You post to all my questions, but are very rude - Please just stop now. I know where you stand.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
Anyone ever call you crass mate?
Seriously, helpful replies, just not the most polite.
Please, let anyone else reply if they'd like. You post to all my questions, but are very rude - Please just stop now. I know where you stand.
I then write when I think it's right and don't let anyone stop me.
If others are interested in answering, no one prevents them from doing so.

The way it looks, you will have to be satisfied with my answers, because obviously nobody else can or wants to answer you - simply because no one deals with such concerns.

Apart from that, I am not answering your questions to you, but to all readers.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-14-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
@jgbout English isn't ottischwenk's native language and you have asked a huge number of questions on numerous threads and one might have done. Many of the questions already answered. ottischwenk is trying to be helpful even if it can seem abrasive. Sometimes you don't seem to heed the replies. Click Report Post if you think a post breaks the rules.

Boyue Likebook Mars uses more power than a Libra, because it's a larger screen and has Android. Maybe a more powerful CPU. It also has Audio hardware and Bluetooth. However the battery lasts much longer than my 10" Lenovo tablet and very much longer than my 7" tablet or 6" phone.

But I have nice lamps in the house. I never use the front-lights on any of my ereaders and the brightness on laptop and tablets is set low.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Boyue Likebook Mars uses more power than a Libra, because it's a larger screen and has Android. Maybe a more powerful CPU. It also has Audio hardware and Bluetooth.
8 core CPU - 1.5 GHz vs single core - 1 GHz
Old 03-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #7
jgbout
Groupie

Thanks Quoth
Got your meaning, and thanks for the battery info.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Here follows my own experience regarding battery life with a Likebook Mars.

Kind regards,

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:57 AM   #9
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I then write when I think it's right and don't let anyone stop me.
If others are interested in answering, no one prevents them from doing so.

The way it looks, you will have to be satisfied with my answers, because obviously nobody else can or wants to answer you - simply because no one deals with such concerns.

Apart from that, I am not answering your questions to you, but to all readers.
ottishwenk's English is very good and his crass responses are well known but as he is about the only person with any depth of expertise with these devices it's the price to be paid. Likely you'll find battery life is closely connected with having an active wi-fi connection. If you stick to using your device as an e-reader with occasional internet connectivity you should see a big improvement. Updates from Boyue are rare and add very little to functionality for most users.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:10 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
ottishwenk's English is very good and his crass responses are well known
Oh no! The quality of my English comes from Google Translate
Quote:
Likely you'll find battery life is closely connected with having an active wi-fi connection.
That too, but Google needs a lot and should be disabled to save power.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
@OP

Do you have a Likebook, or is this just a question? I thought you bought a Kobo? Are you not satisfied with it?

Something you should understand about both Likebook and Onyx devices. A battery charge does not last as long as on a Kobo or an Amazon device**. The Onyx / Likebook does more and so uses more power. Think of it as halfway between a tablet and a pure ereader. We Onyx / Likebook users don't care because we get A LOT more functionality, and we dont care about charging more frequently. Its the price we pay. I have a Kindle 2 that last months on a charge. My Onyx Nova 1 I probably charge once a week. I probably read an hour a day, maybe a bit more. I don't care. But if I was going a journey where I might not be able to access charging easily, for sure I'd take the Kindle.

The question is, why do you want a Likebook? I think it's to read PDF? Kobo will be good enough with Koreader, and battery charge should last longer. Based on your other threads, I think you might be happiest with a kobo. You say you're not technically savvy. Likebook / Onyx are much more complex devices. Do you need all that functionality?

**I will say that a Amazon/Kobo device SHOULD last longer. I read reports that the Oasis battery charge is not good.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 03-26-2021 at 08:27 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Oh no! The quality of my English comes from Google Translate
All your messages are translated from German to English via Google?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
All your messages are translated from German to English via Google?
Yes. And I also read the English posts in German in Google Translate.
I'm too lazy to bother about this.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #14
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Just to add my own experience in the Mars. For the last few months, I've hardly been using it (acute lack of time for leisure time reading, unfortunately), but I share the impression in the linked post above that battery life on the updated Android 8 is pretty good, particularly also in standby. (I don't recall many details from before the upgrade, but for my purposes it was also fine).
As mentioned, it's probably worse than a Kindle or Kobo. Over the last 8 days or so it lost 21% battery. Wi-fi switches off automatically, but it may be possible that you can make it more effective by switching off Google services. For my purposes, however, this is perfectly fine, since generally when I pick up the device there's always still enough energy for whatever I want to do.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My Mars isn't as good on battery life as the other eink I have, but dramatically better than any phone, 7" tablet or 10" Tablet. Use or sleep. Normally Google Framework and WiFi are off.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote