Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmware 4.22.15268

Firmware 4.22.15268 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Looks like it's Nia only?
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nia stuff:

Device ID: 482
Hardware: kobo7
Processor: i.MX6ULL
PCB: E60U2
USB ID: 0x4230
Codename 1: Phoenix
Codename 2: Luna
Codename 3: N/A
Same cover thumbnail size as Kraken, Star.
Same touch tolerance as Star (30px).
No exclusive firmware features.
Most hardware-related quirks should be identical to Star.

Note: Star is the Aura Edition 2 v1/2.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

This firmware will work on all kobo7 devices (older ones will probably work too, but the kernel isn't included), even though it's supposed to be Nia only. There doesn't appear to be any new features, but there might be some bugfixes.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are there going to be patches or will that wait until a new firmware for more devices?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are there going to be patches or will that wait until a new firmware for more devices?
I suggest you watch the GitHub repository .

TLDR: Due to the improvements with kobopatch over the last year, only 7 offsets needed updating, so it only took a few minutes to update them. They'll be released once I test the firmware in a few minutes.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard

OK, so there is actually slightly more than bugfixes: when booting for the first time after the update, there's a pop-up about a free 30-day Kobo+ trial. There's also a new row for it in the account settings.

In addition, I'm not sure if this is new or not (it's the first time I've seen it), but the top-right of the homescreen with <2 books is showing the current author rather than recommendations for me right now.

The bug where the PIN entry would change sizes after entering the first digit has been fixed.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-15-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
OK, so there is actually slightly more than bugfixes: when booting for the first time after the update, there's a pop-up about a free 30-day Kobo+ trial. There's also a new row for it in the account settings.

In addition, I'm not sure if this is new or not (it's the first time I've seen it), but the top-right of the homescreen with <2 books is showing the current author rather than recommendations for me right now.

The bug where the PIN entry would change sizes after entering the first digit has been fixed.
They rolled Kobo plus out in Canada along with the Nia which is probably why you’re seeing that.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

Patches are out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331563.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:21 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
As @MGlitch this new in Canada. There is a subscription service elsewhere, Belgium or the Netherlands from memory. I don't know if this is the same or a different service.
Quote:
I don't think that has changed. Usually it shows recommendations because there are not enough books on the device to show anything else. It's usually triggers a "Kobo has to much advertising" complaint from new users.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As @MGlitch this new in Canada. There is a subscription service elsewhere, Belgium or the Netherlands from memory. I don't know if this is the same or a different service.
Yes, that seems to be correct. I'm not sure about the content itself, but the branding is slightly different (it's called kobo+ read, and the + is circled with a refresh icon). At least in the Netherlands, the logo is just "koboplus".

Quote:
I don't think that has changed. Usually it shows recommendations because there are not enough books on the device to show anything else. It's usually triggers a "Kobo has to much advertising" complaint from new users.
That's interesting. I had ~400 tagged and sideloaded KEPUB books on it for the last few versions, and I only saw recommendations. Note that I always have a collection I'm opening my books from, so that's what shows in the bottom-right. I'll have to look at the logic later and see if I can figure it out.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:47 PM   #12
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Personally, I miss the "classic" home screen. I wish there was a way to patch it back in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-touch-2-0.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	180716  

Last edited by Jellby; 07-17-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Image as attachment
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:47 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Just to add my usual post in the new firmware thread...

Other than the support for the Nia, I don't know of what the changes in this firmware are. It is intended only for the Nia, but, should work on the other Mark 7 devices with no issues.

calibre
For calibre, there are no changes needed for this firmware version. But, support for the is in calibre 4.21.0. You will need at least this version of calibre for it to recognise the Nia. Support for the Nia is also included in the calibre beta for Python 3 and Annotations support.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Personally, I miss the "classic" home screen. I wish there was a way to patch it back in.
You cannot patch the old home screen. It's no longer part of the firmware.

Last edited by Jellby; 07-17-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Remove oversized image in quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just to add my usual post in the new firmware thread...

Other than the support for the Nia, I don't know of what the changes in this firmware are. It is intended only for the Nia, but, should work on the other Mark 7 devices with no issues.

calibre
For calibre, there are no changes needed for this firmware version. But, support for the is in calibre 4.21.0. You will need at least this version of calibre for it to recognise the Nia. Support for the Nia is also included in the calibre beta for Python 3 and Annotations support.
Will this firmware work on Mark 5 hardware or is it just Mark 7?

Tags
firmware, firmware release