Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
dread_pirate_rob
dread_pirate_rob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Upgrading firmware

I have reviewed many of the instructions that cover upgrading the firmware on the Kobo Forma and am confused and in need of help.

I have a new Forma that says its firmware kernel version is: 4.1.15-00285

The software version is 4.16.13268.

I'm using Linux Mint and Calibre.

According to the firmware listing , my firmware is out of date. Although 4.1.15 looks incorrect and maybe I am not looking in the correct place for my firmware version.

Existing directions to install firmware updates on the Forma lose me after the contents of the zip file is moved into the .kobo directory. Is there anyone who could explain (in detail) how the firmware gets installed from that point?

I have migrated from a Kindle Oasis and have been enjoying the Forma, although updates on the Oasis were much easier to accomplish.

Thank you for your assistance!
dread_pirate_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
If you want to update the firmware on your Forma, all you need to do is;

On the Forma:

1. Enable wifi
2. Press the sync button

Press Ok on the prompts that follow.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
dread_pirate_rob
dread_pirate_rob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you - that was a lot simpler than other descriptions.

Somewhat confusing that the Kobo Forma identified software version is actually the firmware version?

Thanks again for the help.
dread_pirate_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You're comparing the version of the Linux kernel to the actual Kobo software version (AKA. Nickel).

i.e., 4.1.15 is indeed the Linux kernel (and it's unlikely to get any significant updates, certainly not anything more than a commit bump), and 4.16.13268 is indeed your FW version.

And, yeah, it's outdated, and you shouldn't have to do it manually if you're not comfortable with it, as @tayseidel just explained.

But, just in case you do have to do it manually, in a terminal, it ought to be as simple as

Code:
unzip kobo-update-4.25.15875.zip -d /run/media/$(id -un)/KOBOeReader/.kobo
It'll reboot on its own on eject.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The fact that we conflate FW with SW is not particularly specific to the Kobo, FWIW. We've been using "FW" for pretty much forever in Kindle-land to encompass the full Kindle software package, low-level or not .

(i.e., the original, legacy specificity of the term "firmware" has somewhat been diluted over the years, and that's not specific to this context).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, forma