Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #91
rkjnsn
rkjnsn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
One more slight annoyance: when I look up a word and the definition that in turn uses another word I don't know (such as when it just refers to another form of the same word), I wish it were easier to look up that word. If I press and hold a word in the dictionary, the only two options are "Select all" and "Copy", so the sequence is hold word, copy, tap A-Z logo to search, tap X to clear the search field, hold down search field, paste, search. So that's two holds and five taps for what feels like it should be at most a hold and a tap. I don't have to do this very often, but when I do it's a bit irksome.

(But if I could only have one thing, it'd definitely be the custom sleep screen like my simple touch had.)

Last edited by rkjnsn; 12-15-2017 at 07:56 PM.
rkjnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #92
rmnelson
rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbriny View Post
Another issue is that after the update, I try to root it but failed, no permission with adb, has anyone encounter this problem?
I just upgraded mine with the latest beta and adb is still authorized on mine, so I think it is persistent. It took me a couple of tries originally to authorize it, and you have to do this before logging into the device for the first time.

GeorgeYellow provided the perfect instructions to do this in post #2.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292465
rmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #93
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
The sleep images (I won't call them "screensavers") are kind of funny in how much of a difference they make in my enjoyment of a device. I'd have a hard time ditching Kobo simply because it shows the cover of the current book you're reading. I don't know why it's such a big deal.
My Sony PRS-T2 does that also. I do like it. Kindles go completely the other direction, they just skip the cover, the title page and table of contents, and jump to where they think you want to start reading. Personally I don't care if it is an eBook, I want to start at the cover and work my way in.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #94
plainbriny
Enthusiast
plainbriny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnelson View Post
I just upgraded mine with the latest beta and adb is still authorized on mine, so I think it is persistent. It took me a couple of tries originally to authorize it, and you have to do this before logging into the device for the first time.

GeorgeYellow provided the perfect instructions to do this in post #2.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292465
Thanks for pointing out that instruction.

Erases and deregistered, then followed the above instructions but still not working.
The first thing after erase and reboot is "your nook is updating", perhaps one should root first before updating.

Edit: Get rooted!
After browsing the glowlight plus thread in xda, I found that I need to add devices to adb (I am using linux). I am not sure which is the one that makes it work, anyway I added two files:

/lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules with:
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2080", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
and .android/adb_usb.ini with:
Code:
0x2080
(someone mentioned that this file is no longer in use, therefore perhaps we don't need this)

Afterward I erase and followed the instruction by GeorgeYellow, and it works this time!

Last edited by plainbriny; 12-17-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: update rooting progress
plainbriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #95
billsfan2
Enthusiast
billsfan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet, Nook HD+, Kindle PW 2015, Glowlight 3
Along with a partitioning fix, others have mentioned the need to fix the grayed out fonts. The table of contents page, dictionary and basically anything that is a link (super or subscripts, etc.) are all WAY too light. This is a huge problem in a bible for instance, which has links everywhere. The Simple Touch was much better in this regard. I'm not sure I would have bought the Glowlight if I'd known.
billsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #96
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
I guess it's too late, but one more thing I wanted to ask them to change was the icon at the top that used to point back to your current read, but now takes you to profiles.
I really miss that, especially when one loads a launcher, and that's the easiest way to get back to the Nook side.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #97
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
I guess it's too late, but one more thing I wanted to ask them to change was the icon at the top that used to point back to your current read, but now takes you to profiles.
I really miss that, especially when one loads a launcher, and that's the easiest way to get back to the Nook side.
I never installed any different launcher when I had a Nook, but I loved that 'current read' icon and was sad to see it go. Isn't there something similar now when you hit the middle of the screen and the menu comes up? (I played with the Glowlight 3, but currently it's put away for Christmas.)

Really it would be better to have the profiles icon in the bottom menu and the current read always available at the top, since it is probably used more. But I don't work at B&N any more.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #98
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
There is a current read button on the main toolbar along the bottom of the home screen. But nowhere else that I am aware of. So you have to hit the Nook button and then touch that icon. Not a big deal.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #99
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
There is a current read button on the main toolbar along the bottom of the home screen. But nowhere else that I am aware of. So you have to hit the Nook button and then touch that icon. Not a big deal.
Isn't that what I just said?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #100
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Well if you have loaded a launcher, you can get to the bar on the top from either side) Nook or launcher) , but the bar on the bottom is only accessible from the nook side. So that's why it was helpful.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #101
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Response from B&N Developers

I have received a response from B&N Development for the comments/issues I sent to them...

With respect to the NOOK not recognizing a soft disconnect from USB, they say they are unable to reproduce the problem. I am using Windows 7 and am also unable to reproduce the problem. If anyone has more details, particularly the PC Operating System being used, please reply.

With respect to the NOOK displaying links/dictionary as light grey text, they have responded that they are aware of the problem, and plan to address it in the next major release. I presume that this means not in the upcoming release that addresses the partioning.

With respect to the NOOK not having access to the Android browser, they responded that they will forward the suggestion to NOOK management.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #102
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I wonder what the timeline is on the next “major” release. How frequent are they on the Nook platform?
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #103
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I LOVE the book title being shown in the header portion of the display. You'll have to fight me over that one.
I think my preference would be to not have the title shown. I don't think I really would care that much though.

Most of my life I read paperbacks and they often had the title at the top of the page. Their margins varied a lot. They had different fonts, some small, some large. I never really cared about this.

That's the big advantage of ereaders: they allow us to be finicky.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #104
aronchav
aronchav began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
With respect to the NOOK not recognizing a soft disconnect from USB, they say they are unable to reproduce the problem. I am using Windows 7 and am also unable to reproduce the problem. If anyone has more details, particularly the PC Operating System being used, please reply.
I updated to 48.3.12 as soon as the device was charged, before I put any books on it. The USB disconnect problem was present immediately. Several times, the device lost all of my books and I erased, deregistered, and started over. Everything that was on it had been sideloaded from Google Books or Project Gutenberg. I'm pretty sure the first time it happened, I had not activated ADE yet, so everything on it was just from Project Gutenberg.

My PC is running the latest version of Win 10. As others have said, the USB connect screen does not go away even though the PC says that it is disconnected. One user mentioned leaving it connected for half an hour to be safe, but I've found that leaving it connected for a few minutes is safe. But the screen never does go away, so it's a guessing game.

I noticed on this thread there is a newer beta 48.3.20, but I don't see a link for it. How do I find the newest betas?
aronchav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #105
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Well if you have loaded a launcher, you can get to the bar on the top from either side) Nook or launcher) , but the bar on the bottom is only accessible from the nook side. So that's why it was helpful.
Ah, interesting.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote