Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Don't know if I should get an Oasis or not

I have previously been happy with my Paperwhites and had no desire to update due to cost and portability.

Frankly I've been in the mood for a new e-reader and I don't see Amazon releasing any new ones (besides perhaps Fires or basic Kindles) for awhile. By their history I don't see them releasing a new paperwhite this year, and likely not a new Oasis yet since the Oasis 3 was released last year.

My Paperwhite 4 has become increasingly buggy, and it's my main reading device. I keep getting software glitches and bugs. I realize this could happen with an Oasis as well, but I'm not sure if some of the issues is the PW4 slowly wearing down - I use it very frequently, and have owned a few years, bought the first week it was released.

Other considerations are I've never owned a Kindle reader with buttons before and am curious about it. Also curious on the warm light feature (not impressed by the Fire's though, I've heard that's not as good). Also I'm curious on having a larger screen to read on.

My consideration of having portable (easy into purse) is not an issue right now. I've been working from home for the most part for months now. My office just closed down again for less office time. I don't think I'll need to worry about portability for months.

However, I'm just not sure either. It's a cost upgrade, although Amazon has the payment options which would help. Do you think it's worth the upgrade now, or?
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For me, the upgrade was worth it. I absolutely love my Oasis 3, and it has now taken over the reading chores from my Kindle Voyage and Kobo Aura One.

I didn't know if I would like the buttons, but I find them natural to use. I also like the larger bezel on the side of the buttons, because I can place my hand in that area.

I have two covers I purchased:

1) A premium [expensive!] Noreve cover
2) Amazon's leather cover - not their top-of-the-line cover, however

The screen is right up there with the Kindle Voyage. The lighting is flawless on my device.

I'm not a tinkerer when it comes to my current ebook readers. I say this because there are a number of people on Mobileread who do, indeed, enjoy this aspect. But not me.

I'm perfectly happy with my Kindle Oasis 3.

ADDED: I bought mine in late November, but decided to have it shipped in February. Due to the pandemic, I only received my package - along with 4 covers and 2 copies of my first book - about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-29-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy the 2nd gen Oasis. The battery life is terrible, and the larger screen doesn't result in much increased text on the screen. I rarely use the buttons, especially in a quiet bedroom at night, as the clicking bugs me. The addition of 2 more lines of text and auto-rotation doesn't justify the much larger price for me.

As far as portability, the Paperwhite is better for me. I bought one last summer to take on a beach vacation, and it's become the one I take with me when I leave the house.

For me, the only real place the Oasis is better is because it has more LEDs.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Oasis 2 became instantly my favorite over the Voyage and the Oasis 1 (never owned a Paperwhite, because buttons are a must-have for me). I didn't actually need the Oasis 3, but bought it from sheer gadget lust and I've been very happy with it. It and the Kobo Libra are my favorite readers now. Still, I should mention that I never take my ereaders out of my house, so portability is not an issue for me. Weight is, however, but none of the current eink readers from the big boys (Kindle, Nook, Kobo) are particularly heavy.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I started with a Kindle Touch, also six inches. The tiny screen bothered me. When I got the Oasis it felt like a big improvement; at my age bigger is better. Then I got a Forma; now both the Oasis and the Touch are in a drawer unused.

If weight is an issue be careful about which cover you get. I got one where the flip cover is a thin sheet of metal, which may add more weight.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When one of my ereaders becomes problematic I do a factory reset and give it a fresh start. I don't have many problems with ereaders but this fixes most of those that I do have.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still pondering (ugh!), but all good replies to consider so far.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I very much enjoy my Oasis 3. I am a big fan of the warmth adjustment. Using the yellow/orange tone in the evening makes reading more pleasant for me, especially in combination with the dark mode.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I very much enjoy my Oasis 3. I am a big fan of the warmth adjustment. Using the yellow/orange tone in the evening makes reading more pleasant for me, especially in combination with the dark mode.
I'm a little curious about it, but not enough to upgrade based on that alone. I've only seen it on the fire, but heard its not that good to judge off the tablet, so I don't know. It does sound interesting
Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #10
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
I started with 2 paper whites. I dont like using the screen to turn pages. Bought a refurbished Voyage and love it, wish the bezels were a tad wider. Bought an oasis 2 and love it. Wide edge on one side with page turn buttons, I need to flip it to change hands. The Voyage is my favorite since there are buttons on both sides. I will never buy a reader without buttons again. I gave one paperwhite away.

If I had to buy one today, it would be the Oasis. I hope something like the Voyage is available before I need to buy again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
Wintings
Wintings began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yes, it's expensive but I have no regrets after upgrading from a PaperWhite 5 a couple of months ago. The slightly bigger screen, the page-turn buttons (not noisy in the middle of the night, at least on my Oasis 3), the optional orange-tint lighting and the overall sleek feel of the device make it a winner. So I would say: Go for it!

Last edited by Wintings; 06-30-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Wintings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
FWIW I was very disappointed with the Oasis 3 initially, because the metal back made it so cold to hold -- but with a suitable transparent skin applied, that problem vanishes (at the cost of 4g of weight), and it's definitely my favourite e-reader now. The battery lasts quite a long time -- 15hrs or so -- far less than the 30--40hrs of the Oasis 1-plus-charging-cover, but it charges in half an hour rather than the Oasis 1's three hours, which makes up for it unless you're in the middle of nowhere miles from power for weeks on end (in which case, you'll likely have a USB power bank on you anyway).

I might still prefer the Oasis 1 if it was still being made with a new battery, but battery ageing is definitely affecting it by now (even the charging cover is impaired), while my Oasis 3 has none of those problems, being under a year old.

Beautiful screen, almost flawless and very easy to read on.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I got an Oasis 2 and returned it under the thirty-day rule. Actually, I returned it within five days. My favorite Kindle is the Paperwhite.

A friend of mine asked me if people would think he was really cool if he had an Oasis. I told him to be cool he had to buy Apple. "Do they have an ereader?" "No, but you'll be thought of as cool by other Apple users."
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #14
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
My Paperwhite 4 is not buggy at all. You might want to reset it.

IMO the Oasis 3 is the best ereader ever made. It took Amazon forever and a day to add the ability to adjust the color temp but when they did holy cow did they do an exceptional job. It looks far better than any of my Kobos. And the screen uniformity is absolutely perfect.

7 inch is my favorite size when not traveling.

I don't actually use the page turn buttons (they work fine though). I just use the width of the bezel to comfortably hold the reader. And I use a cover so that I don't have to grip that small wedge on the back and I don't have to feel cold metal.

To get where I'm coming from I rank the current ereaders as
Oasis 3 > Libra > Clara > PW4 > Forma >> Kindle 10
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
To get where I'm coming from I rank the current ereaders as
Oasis 3 > Libra > Clara > PW4 > Forma >> Kindle 10
Curious, why do you rank the Forma below the PW4?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote