Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
One of the top benefits of digital books is the ability of the reader being able to set fonts etc. in a way that makes their reading experience the best it can be. Users with vision issues are a prime example. There are a multitude of vision issues and a multitude of what works for those users.

What works for you may not work for me, and so on. Locking out user input is a mistake of the largest kind. It was that ability of the user, me, to make changes to the font face, size, and line spacing, that prompted me to try a Kindle in the first place. It is also what made me a convert to e-books. It gave reading back to me.

Any author or publisher that opted to force their settings on me in a book is an author/publisher I would avoid. Especially if those settings couldn't be overruled using Calibre.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #17
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffs View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, of course. I base mine on 30 years' experience in design and understanding what users want.
Sold lots of books have you? Run a successful publishing house?
Advert
Old 06-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, of course. I base mine on 30 years' experience in design and understanding what users want.
Thinking what users want is less choice for said users and that all users want the same thing is another very common mistake. Also a very irritating one. And I'm sorry, but ebooks are not 30 years old and so you cannot have 30 years' experience in designing them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
scruffs
Connoisseur
scruffs doesn't litterscruffs doesn't litter

Device: ePUB Kindle and iBooks
Interesting comments.

Design is more than 30 years old, I promise you.
And yes, thank you, I have sold a lot of books.

I shall leave you to your echo chamber. Unfortunately, you have tarnished the reputation of this forum.
scruffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Interesting comments.

Design is more than 30 years old, I promise you.
And yes, thank you, I have sold a lot of books.

I shall leave you to your echo chamber. Unfortunately, you have tarnished the reputation of this forum.
To whom are you speaking?
Advert
Old 06-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Unfortunately, you have tarnished the reputation of this forum.
If we tarnished this forum for the "users-are-stupid-and-we-know-better-what's-good for-them" designer wannabes like you seem to be, that can only be a good thing. There's nothing more annoying than that "my way or highway" stance and the less there is of it in this forum, the better.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, when I see an eBook that is set to use a sans-serif font, I think that whoever made it hasn't a clue.
I think that any publisher that sets any aspect of the body text is clueless.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I am rather ignorant on this subject, but other than the first post, it sounds like the OP wants to set the Publisher default font to sans serif, which the user could than pick a different font if they so desired?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #24
scruffs
Connoisseur

You are correct. John F.

It should be a simple matter of CSS, but I am getting variable results.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I am rather ignorant on this subject, but other than the first post, it sounds like the OP wants to set the Publisher default font to sans serif, which the user could than pick a different font if they so desired?
Why should a user have to redo customizations for every single book?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #26
scruffs
Connoisseur

Not every single book - a book.

Last edited by scruffs; 06-29-2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Why should a user have to redo customizations for every single book?
I don't mean to be dense, maybe this is particular to Kindles, but how is this different than normal functionality with "Use publisher defaults"?

I either use publisher defaults and get what the book specifies, or I pick a font that I want?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #28
scruffs
Connoisseur

That's the point exactly, John. Do you know how to set those defaults?
Old 06-29-2020, 07:37 AM   #29
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't mean to be dense, maybe this is particular to Kindles, but how is this different than normal functionality with "Use publisher defaults"?

I either use publisher defaults and get what the book specifies, or I pick a font that I want?
Currently if you have selected a default font for reading and open a new book you will be reading with your previously selected font unless you choose to switch to the Publisher Font.

My understanding of what the OP wants is that opening his book will automatically switch you to the Publisher Font no matter what you had selected previously. You would then have to switch back to your preferred font if you want to use that instead.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #30
scruffs
Connoisseur

Yep, JH, that's it. Some text books really demand special formatting and I am trying to avoid embedded fonts as it is so problematic.

Tags
kindle font