Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Custom CSS

Is there a way (via a plugin, or otherwise) to remove all references in the main section (not sure if it's called body or what) of an epub, to line-height, margins, or font sizing?

I ask because, I have Sony Readers and have Custom CSS installed, and, 75%of the time, it works perfectly, but, other times, it does not, and, sometimes my custom CSS line heights or font sizes, or margins, are overwritten with what the epub has in it, sometimes rendering the epub unreadable.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
There is nothing I know of to do this in an automated fashion. You can use Sigil to do this by editing the EPUB directly.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
I'm curious as to what type of CSS devices are using (such as the PB360 or the new Nook) where these problems are NOT showing up. You can set line spacing and font sizes, and margins on those devices which ALWAYS override any CSS in the epub itself. Clearly there is a way to do this. I'm just not sure of that way.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
I'm curious as to what type of CSS devices are using (such as the PB360 or the new Nook) where these problems are NOT showing up. You can set line spacing and font sizes, and margins on those devices which ALWAYS override any CSS in the epub itself. Clearly there is a way to do this. I'm just not sure of that way.
AFAIK My ADE device does not allow a User CSS.

I just 'Sigil' all my books to custom 'tune' the CSS to my liking.

One Size Fits NONE
I reverse engineer each book (usually takes a minute or less), make CSS changes, then check my work <edit edit >
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Assuming your PB360 works the same as mine, the FBReader application works by completely ignoring ALL CSS. Then it lets you add your preferences for font, size, margins etc.

I guess this may be OK for some books, however, if you have a nicely formatted ePub then FBReader can turn it into something little better than a glorified text file, no centre-, right-alignment, no scene-breaks, no dropcaps... the list is long. It can display epubs but I wouldn't call it an epub reader. The AdobeViewer application works much better. All this is purely my own opinion, of course.

I had been wondering whether the Nook worked in the same way as FBReader? But, as I'm in the UK, I'll probably never get to try one.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have been using tweak epub a lot lately. Especially for the epubs that text is all centered, italic, bold italic etc.

Takes only a minute or two edit the style sheet in notepad and the results are generally what I want.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote