Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #91
alex1798
alex1798 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I just registered to say thank you man, mr. Kovid Goyal.

And I just send you $10 and disabled ublock on your site (I don´t know why I didnt do that before).

I know it's not much, but have a couple of beers on me. Greetings from Mexico and drink Corona beers.

Your software is great.
alex1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #92
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #93
MrMiyagi
MrMiyagi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle / Android Tablet
Don't know if it's just me, but ...

Disappearing covers problems was solved 4.18.

Just tried adding a new, sideloaded book, and the cover disappeared. Confidently, I plugged back in the Kindle and let Calibre (4.19) do it's magic.

Cover reappeared and then disappeared again

Have tried this on two kindles and from two laptops (both Mac). Any new book I add now the Kindle is replacing the cover with the 'default' one.
MrMiyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMiyagi View Post
Don't know if it's just me, but ...

Disappearing covers problems was solved 4.18.

Just tried adding a new, sideloaded book, and the cover disappeared. Confidently, I plugged back in the Kindle and let Calibre (4.19) do it's magic.

Cover reappeared and then disappeared again

Have tried this on two kindles and from two laptops (both Mac). Any new book I add now the Kindle is replacing the cover with the 'default' one.
The problem is that you have WiFi on. I side loaded some eBooks to a PW3 and the covers showed up and then vanished right away. When I turned off the WiFi and connected to Calibre and resent the eBooks, the covers did not vanish. The thing is, one eBooks I sent was a eBook downloaded from Amazon. I did make some changes to ir using the Calibre editor to add in negative L/R margins to reduce the space. I have ni idea why even that one lost the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #95
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There aren't any changes to the kindle driver in 4.19 if it has stopped working it will be because amazon has changed something again. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...ndle/driver.py
Old 06-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #96
MrMiyagi
MrMiyagi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle / Android Tablet
Quote:
There aren't any changes to the kindle driver in 4.19 if it has stopped working it will be because amazon has changed something again. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...ndle/driver.py
I didn't think it was a Calibre change between 4.18 and 4.19, just listed the version numbers for completeness.

I suspect they have changed something, as up until very recently the dual image upload work flawlessly.

Could also be something to do with the specific book. It is one I bought from Amazon and imported into Calibre, then sideloaded. I removed the ISBN and mobi-asin tags before sideload -- not sure if that is necessary.
MrMiyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #97
pokeit
pokeit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Still working for me on 4.19
pokeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #98
pokeit
pokeit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that you have WiFi on.
I don't think you understand how the new plugin is solving the issue. With wifi on, the covers do disappear, but re-connecting to Calibre will permanently restore them.
pokeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #99
maqueca
maqueca began at the beginning.

Device: DOOKU, Kindle Paperwhite 10 Gen
Dear kovidgoyal, following the instructions recommended in Calibre's "Frequently Asked Questions", the disappearance of the covers on the kindle paperwhite 10th generation was resolved. The work that you do in extraordinary. I understand that the folder I see in my kindle "amazon-cover-bug" was created by Amazon. Can I delete it? Or is it part of the Caliber solution?
maqueca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #100
maqueca

Thumbs down

Last edited by maqueca; 08-04-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #101
maqueca

Continuation:
kovidgoyal, Before reporting the issue as a bug, I repeatedly complained to Amazon until in the end they apologized for the difficulties caused. At that time I decided to drive in airplane mode, until I decided to contact you.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #102
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

amazon-cover-bug is created by calibre to store a second copy of cover thumbnails, which calibre uses to replace the covers amazon breaks on every connect.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #103
AJone
AJone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation
Is there any option anywhere to prevent calibre replacing the covers? I'm quite happy letting Amazon choose my covers based on the asin I put in the metadata. Having the covers of my existing books change themselves when I sideload new books is grating a little.
Thanks
AJone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #104
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, there isn't. Simply set the cover you want in calibre via the download metadata tool.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #105
AndreaEnTalca
AndreaEnTalca began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Wink

Quote:
I don't use KFX, so I don't know if this applies, but as long as you don't insert an ASIN into mobi/azw3, that is, as long as the book is recognized as a personal document the kindle won't try to download covers.
I suck at technology. I solve it while doing a cocktail with all the advice I read here. It finally works after:

1. Converting the files to AZW3
2. Turn off Wifi
3. Removal of ASINs
4. Transfer them via USB by choosing the AZW3 files

I had tried these things separately and it worked for me with some books and not with others.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know what, of all the things I did, was the one that solved the problem. Now I have a 100% success rate.

I'm just glad it works well.

Last edited by AndreaEnTalca; 12-16-2020 at 01:59 PM.
AndreaEnTalca is offline   Reply With Quote