Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Odd text appearing on top margin of Kindle books (both on iPad and Voyage)

I noticed recently that there are strange characters at the top margin of my books that I purchased from Amazon. It appears at the very top margin where the title of the chapter or book should be. It's showing on all my devices (iPad and Voyage) and books.

Any suggestions as to what it is and how to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 12.43.14 PM.png
Views:	286
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	150193  

Last edited by solitarywolf; 07-13-2016 at 07:17 PM.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Is it on all books or just that book?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
Any suggestions as to what it is and how to fix it?
I don't know what is causing it or how to fix it, but it appears to be the title of the book, The Phantom Tollbooth, with incorrect characters substituted. Most likely a character encoding problem.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-13-2016 at 06:05 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its on every book in my collection. Each "title" is different but with the same style characters.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
So I assume the screen capture is from your iPad? Because Voyage doesn't display title like that, title displays only when reading options are showing.

It defies analysis that it would happen on such different devices. If it were just one of them, I'd say try de register and then re register. I imagine some cache needs to be cleared and regenerated. But.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 01:38 AM   #6
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker

I must be going crazy. My apologies to all. It's only occurring on my iPad Pro and I just realized, it's on the public beta of iOS 10. All my other devices are displaying correctly.

Thank you to tomsen, for pointing out the Voyage difference in the margin titles. It got me thinking about this. It may only be Wednesday, but it's already a long week.

Thank you all for your attention on this.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
I must be going crazy. My apologies to all. It's only occurring on my iPad Pro and I just realized, it's on the public beta of iOS 10. All my other devices are displaying correctly.

Thank you to tomsen, for pointing out the Voyage difference in the margin titles. It got me thinking about this. It may only be Wednesday, but it's already a long week.

Thank you all for your attention on this.
Very common mistake. We all have days like that. My common one is why aren't my clothes dry. Reason: I forgot to push that big white button.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Very common mistake. We all have days like that. My common one is why aren't my clothes dry. Reason: I forgot to push that big white button.
Yesterday I was transferring the clothes from the washer to the dryer. After moving about a dozen items I realized that they couldn't have been that dry after the final spin, even after they had been sitting in the washer for a few hours after the machine would have been done. The soap was still in the dispenser, so that clued me in to the fact that I obviously failed to push the start button.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote