Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
rwsmith
rwsmith began at the beginning.

Device: sony Reader Daily Edition
DRM error message

I just purchased an e-book from Barnes and Noble thinking that Calibre could convert it to e-pub for use on my Sony900-- but when I try to convert I got a "this is a DRMed book" and saying I had to get rid of that format from a third party. What does that mean and how do I do that so that Calibre can convert to epub?

thanks
rwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You must install tools that will help you remove the drm before Calibre will convert it for you. This can be done, but you will have to do some extensive searching for information. Mobileread policy does not encourage posting direct links to the python scripts for removing DRM, or for instructions for running said scripts.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
rwsmith

tools for drm removal

have you used this tool and can you help guide me to how to find it and load it?

many thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
It works great, you'll just need to go to the ePub forum & look at the threads there.

General ePub decryption:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39423

MacOS discussion:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311

B&N decryption:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66295

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
I just purchased an e-book from Barnes and Noble thinking that Calibre could convert it to e-pub for use on my Sony900-- but when I try to convert I got a "this is a DRMed book" and saying I had to get rid of that format from a third party. What does that mean and how do I do that so that Calibre can convert to epub?

thanks

This is because B&N are intentionally misleading people into thinking their epubs are useable on other readers.

Nor will they allow you to return or get credit for it.

Best policy is to not buy there and complain to holy h*ll to them about it.

As stated you can (perhaps illegally) strip the drm off and put it on any epub reader.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
As stated you can (perhaps illegally) strip the drm off and put it on any epub reader.
'Perhaps' is a great word for this. In the US, there has been case precedent for prosecution of sharing media (Music and Movies, I don't know of any for books), there have been successful DMCA takedown notices for decryption tools, but there has never been a case brought to court about a consumer decrypting content they legitimately purchased. I personally believe that will never happen for a number of reasons, but the possibility does remain. If they ever did prosecute it would be a very interesting conversation, and one sure to make the publisher look bad.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
rwsmith

I have been spending all evening trying to follow your instructions but am failing-- so as not to violate this forum, could you get back to me at dr_rwsmith@yahoo.com and help walk me thru downloading and implementing (which I assume includes re-naming some of the downloads). I would much appreciate it.

thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
rwsmith

To Ed Embowski-

I have gone to your link re: b& n and I think I have downloaded the needed items but I am having problems with the last few actions-- could you perhaps give a bit more detail as to how to implement this. One of the readers gave a nice step by step but that was for .pdfs--could you perhaps post a step by step for the b&n actions-- sorry, but given b&n policy for no refunds I'd like to get this one book that I purchased into my system and then never to use them again.

many thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please don't use MR to ask for detailed help with DRM removal - it's against our site policy to either ask for, or provide, such help.

Thanks,

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
rwsmith

sorry-- I had given my e-mail address with the hope that someone would communicate outside this forum.....I will not raise it again here.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
'Perhaps' is a great word for this. In the US, there has been case precedent for prosecution of sharing media (Music and Movies, I don't know of any for books), there have been successful DMCA takedown notices for decryption tools, but there has never been a case brought to court about a consumer decrypting content they legitimately purchased. I personally believe that will never happen for a number of reasons, but the possibility does remain. If they ever did prosecute it would be a very interesting conversation, and one sure to make the publisher look bad.

- Ed
The fact that the publisher could show no damages is a biggie. I actually can't wait for the first one.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote