Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
sunflower42479
sunflower42479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello! from the Pacific Northwest

Hi, I don't have an e-book yet but am looking at the Kindle. I just wanted to say hello!
sunflower42479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower42479 View Post
Hi, I don't have an e-book yet but am looking at the Kindle. I just wanted to say hello!

Hello, Sunflower, and welcome to MobileRead.

Lots of advice and friendly people here.....remember the Kindle is not the only device on the market.

Look around, ask questions and enjoy whichever one you decide on!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
sunflower42479

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Hello, Sunflower, and welcome to MobileRead.

Lots of advice and friendly people here.....remember the Kindle is not the only device on the market.

Look around, ask questions and enjoy whichever one you decide on!
I am aware of that. I'm under the impression from reading many posts and knowing my own persoinality and tech savyness that the Kindle is probably the easiest for me to deal with. I'm not trying to knock any of the other readers out there but....
Old 03-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I am aware of that. I'm under the impression from reading many posts and knowing my own persoinality and tech savyness that the Kindle is probably the easiest for me to deal with. I'm not trying to knock any of the other readers out there but....
It is the easiest if you buy all you ebooks from Amazon, which I don't recommend even though I can highly recommend the Kindle 1 (especially at the Ebay prices now).

However if you buy from other sources and convert, it'll be about as easy as any of the others. Just my opinion. My K1 is just my second most favorite reader. My EZ Reader with Openinkpot firmware is my favorite.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi sunflower42479 and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 for over a year now and like it a lot
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
sunflower42479

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
It is the easiest if you buy all you ebooks from Amazon, which I don't recommend even though I can highly recommend the Kindle 1 (especially at the Ebay prices now).

However if you buy from other sources and convert, it'll be about as easy as any of the others. Just my opinion. My K1 is just my second most favorite reader. My EZ Reader with Openinkpot firmware is my favorite.

What is the EZ reader? I have not seen anythig on that one.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
What is the EZ reader? I have not seen anythig on that one.
A Chinese company named Jinke makes the hardware and it is sold under various names. In China and Asia it is the Hanlin V3 (Jinke makes other Hanlin models as well). In Europe it is the BeBook(here's a review), in the USA it is EZ Reader distributed by Astak, in Russia it is the ibook. Our WIKI on the basic HW is here and this will also lead you to our HW matrix of ebook readers.

Another link of possible interest comparing the Hanlin V3 with the Kindle.

The firmware from each of the distributors can be loaded on any of these models since the hardware is identical. OpenInkPot (see our WIKI on it here) is an open source firmware for this HW that began in Russia for the ibook but is applicable to all the models. It reads many formats as long as there is no DRM. It has a good development group who support and add to it and in fact are working on versions for other E-ink readers. I know they have made some progress on the Cybook Gen3.

Lots of good stuff in the WIKI.

Last edited by slayda; 03-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
sunflower42479

Cool thanks! something else to add tothe list of things to read BEFORE purchasing a reader