Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Spelling errors and such

Im new to the whole ebook world (had my reader for about 4 days), so far Ive only been reading free books, but ive noticed so many spelling and formating errors!!!
Is it that common for their to be mistakes in ebooks? Or is this what I should just expect from free books? (hey it's free so Im not complaining...lol)
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Most of the ones I've read have been pretty good, with the exception of inserting a question mark for characters the device can't handle. However, there was one library book that was replete with real spelling whoppers, as though an e-poltergeist had gone through and global-replaced a couple of the characters' names wrong (Vick was replaced as something like Vise).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, it probably depends on where you got it.

Some are just scanned in and OCRed, not proofread at all. A lot of the ones on archive.org are like this. Unfortunately, even publishers do this.

Most of the free ones here are pretty good, as are from Feedbooks and Manybooks. At least the PD stuff, I haven't tried the fanfiction at feedbooks.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
Im new to the whole ebook world (had my reader for about 4 days), so far Ive only been reading free books, but ive noticed so many spelling and formating errors!!!
Is it that common for their to be mistakes in ebooks? Or is this what I should just expect from free books? (hey it's free so Im not complaining...lol)
All the ones that I've read contain errors. Some seem to be worse than others.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-21-2010 at 06:16 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Some are worse than others, but I have yet to read any ebook (free or paid for) that hasn't had a lot of mistake in it. I usually send a list of them to the writer if they are contactable, but most don't seem to be interested. One even took it as a criticism of his book.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Yes, orthography and grammar and, in general, excellence in communication have been cast aside in the name of egalitarian tolerance of the less-abled and the invincibly ignorant. After all, they have opinions too.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
When I got my Iriver here in Sweden it included 100 free ebooks, most of which appeared to have been taken from gutenberg.org. Many of them were badly formatted, especially in connection with punctuation marks. That dash one sees, like a long hyphen (can never remember what it is called) often disappeared altogether, and two words were run into each other.

The funny thing was that, when I downloaded a replacement from gutenberg.org, the problem did not exist!

But spelling mistakes don't seem to be as common. I take it, btw we're not talking coloured/colored here - it's not that you're reading UK English books?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Some are worse than others, but I have yet to read any ebook (free or paid for) that hasn't had a lot of mistake in it. I usually send a list of them to the writer if they are contactable, but most don't seem to be interested. One even took it as a criticism of his book.
As a writer I would want to know if there are mistakes in my book (errors never seem to appear on the computer screen, but jump off the page in the printed version!) They are easy to rectify in an e-book and the writer should thank you for pointing them out (and should correct them). Unfortunately, some of the Indie authors rush to publish before their books are ready and this can give Indie books a bad name.
I hope you will continue to point out errors, perhaps saying that you feel the author would like to know.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Additionally, and with the greatest respect, Starrlamia, are you sure there is misspelling? I'm referring here to:

Quote:

spelling and formating errors
Is it that common for their to be mistakes in ebooks?

unquote. I think you mean:

spelling and formatting errors
Is it that common for there to be mistakes in ebooks?

I know we all make silly mistakes from time to time when we write fast, but you might not have noticed that there is an edit button on our messages (bottom right).

Last edited by James_Wilde; 11-21-2010 at 12:04 PM.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Yes, orthography and grammar and, in general, excellence in communication have been cast aside in the name of egalitarian tolerance of the less-abled and the invincibly ignorant. After all, they have opinions too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
... you might not have noticed that there is an edit button on our messages (bottom right).

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-21-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Additionally, and with the greatest respect, Starrlamia, are you sure there is misspelling? I'm referring here to:

Quote:

spelling and formating errors
Is it that common for their to be mistakes in ebooks?

unquote. I think you mean:

spelling and formatting errors
Is it that common for there to be mistakes in ebooks?

I know we all make silly mistakes from time to time when we write fast, but you might not have noticed that there is an edit button on our messages (bottom right).
lol! wow i misused their. ugh, i was typing fast, Im actually good at spelling, i just dont always proofread my posts.
And Im Canadian btw so im well aware of colour vs color etc

thanks guys, its fairly disapointing to see that mistakes are common... the free books that i got i was refering to were from amazon and sony so geez.

I have a feeling I will be making a fuss once i start to actually buy books, if im paying for something it better not have tons of mistakes!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
I too ham very gud at spilling and i luv a book wot is well writ.
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post
As a writer I would want to know if there are mistakes in my book (errors never seem to appear on the computer screen, but jump off the page in the printed version!) They are easy to rectify in an e-book and the writer should thank you for pointing them out (and should correct them). Unfortunately, some of the Indie authors rush to publish before their books are ready and this can give Indie books a bad name.
I hope you will continue to point out errors, perhaps saying that you feel the author would like to know.
I do, but if they aren't interested I don't bother with the ones from their other books, I just fix them myself. But it isn't just indie books, it's also big publisher books. They just don't seem to employ proof readers anymore. At best they rely on advance readers.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
lol! wow i misused their. ugh, i was typing fast, Im actually good at spelling, i just dont always proofread my posts.
And Im Canadian btw so im well aware of colour vs color etc

thanks guys, its fairly disapointing to see that mistakes are common... the free books that i got i was refering to were from amazon and sony so geez.

I have a feeling I will be making a fuss once i start to actually buy books, if im paying for something it better not have tons of mistakes!
A well known idiom involving a pot and a kettle springs to mind.

ether that, or this hole thred is a windup. aparently its fashionable to ommit upper class letters and apostrofes. some people seem to think speling and grammer standards arnt important. i dont agree i think people shud take more care when writing posts. And i think they should be be more consistent to. if a writers book contains mistakes thats diffrent cos there suposed to no better and shood complie with standerds

Methinks this thread is going to run and run.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-23-2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: corected a spilling mustake in the last werd
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
NoahMGillman
Enthusiast
NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.NoahMGillman writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iphone
I don't know about traditionally published books with lots of errors, but yes, it is common among indie books that there can be far too many spelling and grammar errors. I understand why that often is, but no that doesn't have to happen.

After I finished writing my last book, I got four people to help me hunt for the errors. Yeah, its a lot of work, but I think that if we want to be taken seriously we have to do the work.

Sure, even a traditionally published book will sometimes have one or two mistakes. It's true.... But we should be aspiring for as few as possible. It really draws the reader out of the story, and reflects poorly (my opinion) on the industry/movement.
NoahMGillman is offline   Reply With Quote