Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
shah8
shah8 began at the beginning.

Device: sony librie
You know, the sony librie seems to have some features inherently unique to it...

It has a dictionary, albeit in japanese. It has a keyboard right there, and apparently a means of entering in text fairly easily (I tried out the dictionary function).

Shouldn't it be easy to at least replace the dictionary and add annnotation features with the use of a flash memory drive? I think I can imagine the computational and memory difficulties that lie with trying a search for word or for text, though.

Is there any project work going on to make the extra features the librie does have in order to make it more useful?
shah8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony did release a dictionary converter for Librie some time ago. You can also buy professional dictionaries in BBeB format on a MemoryStick:
http://www.memorystick.com/en/msnews/msupdate/29_4.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
shah8
shah8 began at the beginning.

Device: sony librie
but can you use the text entry/search for the dictionary?
shah8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
quantumskie
quantumskie began at the beginning.

Device: Clié TH-55/Librié
The dictionaries which were sold by Sony operates in pretty much the same manner as the internal dictionary albeit a bit slow on the word retreival. There are also other features such as keeping a list of words that you would want to keep track of as well as being able to select words and "jump" to its definition in the same or other dictionaries. This is particularly useful if you're learning japanese.

The problem however is obtaining one of these memorystick dictionaries because Sony has stopped selling them and the only place you can find it is at the auctions. I got mine at yahoo.

I didn't know that there was a dictionary converter for the Librié though. Perhaps igorsk could kindly provide a link?
quantumskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
http://librie.alphabasis.net/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
quantumskie
quantumskie began at the beginning.

Device: Clié TH-55/Librié
Thanks igorsk for the link! Currently downloading the file. Maybe now I can try my hand at making some dictionaries.
quantumskie is offline   Reply With Quote