Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Firmware 4.3.8929

My Kobo Aura One just updated itself to firmware 4.3.8929.

The release notes say:
- Various Bug Fixes
- Stability Improvements

It's interesting because I didn't get update 4.3.8871. It's not the first time my Kobo has skipped an update then been early in receiving the next one.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Firmware Releases: Mark 3-6.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mark 3 - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.3.8929.zip

Mark 4 - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.3.8929.zip

Mark 5 - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.3.8929.zip

Mark 6 - http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.3.8929.zip
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope 4.3.8829 fixes the light issue or I might have to go back to 3.19.5761.

Occasionally when I open the cover and the H2O wakes from sleep, sometimes the light is on at the same level as it was the last time I used it. I then set it to 0 and eventually, it comes back on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Tried the Mk4 firmware on my Touch and checked the syncing/connection issue.

First go, starting with the wifi off, the perpetual connecting signal came up and I canceled sync after 5 minutes. As in previous firmwares if wifi was connected first it synced properly.

Turned wifi off and tried to sync again - this time it connected with wifi and updated correctly! And from then on all syncs from no wifi have been fine. Looks like this bug has been [mostly] fixed, well, except for that initial try.

ETA: tried after powering off and sleeping also - it still worked!
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
My Kobo Aura One just updated itself to firmware 4.3.8929.
B, did you get the update at kobo.com?

How about the rest of you, did you get the update at kobo.com?

Thanks!

Last edited by petercreasey; 03-08-2017 at 06:12 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
B, did you get the update at kobo.com?
Read what was posted: "updated itself". Where else would the device have gotten the update?

As I keep telling you, every time the Kobo ereaders do a sync, they check for an update. If there is one, they download it and install it. The only place they check is Kobo's servers. So, the answer to your question, is "probably". And the "probably" is only because Kobo might be using other servers for the distribution, but it is an official Kobo source.

Or are you asking if there is a page somewhere on the Kobo site where you can download the firmware from? Where Kobo announce the updates and put a link? Is that what all these questions have been looking for? If so, it should be obvious by no, but Kobo DO NOT do this. It relies on the devices looking for an update and finding one as they are available.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
David, thanks for the info!

Keep in mind that many (most?) of us don't have the time or knowledge with respect to kobo to be as expert as you. I assumed (apparently erroneously, judging by your rejoinder) that sync would/could occur with whichever affiliate was designated. I didn't know that syncing only occurs with kobo.com.

This is good info for future reference.

I don't understand the implication of your additional comments.

Again, thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I did the manual update to 4.3.8929. Then when it was syncing it found an OTA update that it downloaded and installed. Now my KA1 is at 4.3.8945. The release notes are the same as 4.3.8929.

Unfortunately the syncing bug still persists for me. Still just gets stuck on "checking for updates" and spins and spins.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
David, thanks for the info!

Keep in mind that many (most?) of us don't have the time or knowledge with respect to kobo to be as expert as you. I assumed (apparently erroneously, judging by your rejoinder) that sync would/could occur with whichever affiliate was designated. I didn't know that syncing only occurs with kobo.com.
All syncing is to the Kobo servers. The affiliate affects some functions on the device (FNAC use a different screensaver), when firmware updates happen (the order offered and Rakuten doen't update take all updates) and who gets paid when you buy a book (at least I assume the affiliate gets a commission on each book).
Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I did the manual update to 4.3.8929. Then when it was syncing it found an OTA update that it downloaded and installed. Now my KA1 is at 4.3.8945. The release notes are the same as 4.3.8929.
Kobo decided to pull 4.3.8929 and release with an extra bug fix. There is no problem with 4.3.8929, they just needed an extra fix for Kobo Plus.

The fixes in 4.3.8929 were, "fixes an issue with the repair button and changes on when we send bookmark requests on KDA".

Both of these are considered hotfixes, so 4.3.8945 should go out to everyone fairly quickly.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkh View Post
Tried the Mk4 firmware on my Touch and checked the syncing/connection issue.

First go, starting with the wifi off, the perpetual connecting signal came up and I canceled sync after 5 minutes. As in previous firmwares if wifi was connected first it synced properly.

Turned wifi off and tried to sync again - this time it connected with wifi and updated correctly! And from then on all syncs from no wifi have been fine. Looks like this bug has been [mostly] fixed, well, except for that initial try.

ETA: tried after powering off and sleeping also - it still worked!
Quote:

Unfortunately the syncing bug still persists for me. Still just gets stuck on "checking for updates" and spins and spins.
imkh, I followed your advice from one of the other firmware update threads. My affiliate was set to kobo. I changed it to rakutenbooks and now it syncs like normal again! Thank you!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Slight problem - with rakutenbooks you don't get Overdrive. I changed it back to Kobo and confirmed it still had the syncing issues. Then I changed it to KoboIndigo. It syncs like it should and now I have my library books too.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #14
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
imkh, I followed your advice from one of the other firmware update threads. My affiliate was set to kobo. I changed it to rakutenbooks and now it syncs like normal again! Thank you!
Lol, mine is set to Kobo and is syncing fine with 4.3.8929 - after failing the first time!

In my original post I was comparing rakutenbooks and Rakuten as affiliates for Pin lock and found Rakuten had extra issues with syncing, but no suggestion that it was a remedy for the syncing bugs. Someone else suggested it might help! - so not my suggestion, but I'm very glad it works for you!

Re new post: It had crossed my mind that changing affiliates might help. So glad something works!

Last edited by imkh; 03-08-2017 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Too slow! New post by Bookworm_Girl
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Count my blessings, I suppose. At least I still have the old home screen too. A firmware update should be smoother, and I shouldn't have to go edit things to unbreak it. This example illustrates why I never had a Kobo reader before, but I just couldn't resist the comfort lighting and large screen of the KA1. The hardware is really nice. I must admit I do read on it more frequently than my Oasis, but the software still needs work.

Tags
ka1