Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
whiskymac
Scottish Member
whiskymac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Dell Axim 51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I tend to buy LIT books and convert them personally, I have in the past bought eReader books but obviously they don't have as nice formatting in the end
That is interesting, I have a lot of LIT books and hoping to receive my new Sony Reader soon and Iwould like to convert my collection. Exactly how do you do this? Is there a good software package that does this?

Thanks in anticipation.
whiskymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
For non-DRM'd Lit files there are a lot of options available: Book Designer, Calibre, Amber etc.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:24 AM   #18
whiskymac
Scottish Member
whiskymac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Dell Axim 51v
Thanks, I'll give them all a try.
whiskymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:05 AM   #19
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Harry, I wondered which public libraries as well, but, being a newbie, thought everyone would already know!

Since I started this thread I've been exploring further options and have found that Books on Board is one of the better sites - I download the Mobi version and crunch it through Calibre (which is brilliant!). The new PRS-505 upgrade for Adobe is useful too, but I'm not fully happy with having to use the Sony book library again and haven't yet been able to work out how to add downloads to Calibre. This means I've got two libraries on the go, which is not ideal!

Incidentally, I popped into my local Sony shop the other day and, amongst other things, asked them about when their Readers will be on sale (Sept 14th). The staff had a sample under the counter, still in its sealed box, but they barely knew what it was for! Let's hope they have a little training before they try and start selling the thing!!!

Regards,
Oddly I was told and have oredered mine on the grounds that I can pick it up on the 4th. The staff in your Waerstones look like they might be a bit dim as all the literature in store clearly states it will be available from the 4th.

One thing I have noticed tho, is that there is no clear mention on the Waterstones website when the books they sell will be available in the sony format and what books they will be selling ( I have converted a load of lit books using calibre ).

And considering that is a must for the reader it seems strange that they don't have that up and running already - after all you need something to read on the reader after all.
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:06 AM   #20
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post
Oddly I was told and have oredered mine on the grounds that I can pick it up on the 4th. The staff in your Waerstones look like they might be a bit dim as all the literature in store clearly states it will be available from the 4th.
Think He said that he popped into his local SONY store, so the date he mentioned might be true.

Waterstone's date is definitely the 4th but they don't have a exclusive distributional deal in the UK. Sony Style, etc. are are going to be carrying it as well.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #21
TetraKM
Connoisseur

I actually ordered mine in my local Waterystoones . They where checking that I could pick it up as well and as they havn't got back to me I assume it is all OK - But you know what the brits are like.

I too looked round the internet to see if I could get one sooner but all the sites (not ebay whch are selling American ones) say the release date is the 26th, which suggests to me that Waterstones get exclusive sales rights for two weeks before the others can deliver the Reader - which sounds like a Sony trick to me
Old 08-31-2008, 06:55 AM   #22
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post
I actually ordered mine in my local Waterystoones . They where checking that I could pick it up as well and as they havn't got back to me I assume it is all OK - But you know what the brits are like.
I don't. What are the Brits like?
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:04 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was wondering that very thing myself. National stereotyping is rarely a good idea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #24
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I did get a promo email (can't remember if it was from Sony or Waterstones now) last month which announced the Reader being offered for sale by waterstones and that they'd have 2 weeks head start before it was available elsewhere (including the sony stores in the UK).

I'm pretty sure the same email said that waterstones own website would be selling ebooks from 25th September (date the rest of the uk is able to sell the Readers).

Though you'd think the ebooks would be avialble whenever Waterstones were able to release the Reader, so I may have just imagined that last bit.

Oh, and Brits are much like everyone else...only more British
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
I rang Waterstones to query delivery on my order and was told it was showing a date of 12 September - they Waterstones guy thought they might have been put back a week. Meanwhile their web site is showing that stores already have stock. A phone call to the Leicester branch disproved that. The lady i spoke to thought the release date was still Friday. The UK Sonystyle store is still showing a first shipment of 4 September and the Waterstones website is saying "3 days until publication" (as of Monday).

Since I ordered my PRS-505 on the eve of notice of availability I shall be well miffed if I have to wait until 12th September!
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #26
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Well, at least the publicity machine is starting to kick in:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...paperback.html

....but not an overwhelming endorsement!!
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
there's a fair bit of positive comments on the reviews of the Reader on the Waterstones website - I was in a Waterstones branch at the weekend and they had one out on display, with a couple of posters around the shop, but if I hadn't been actively looking for info on it I'm not sure I'd have seen it.

I am telling everyone I know that's it's available any day now in the UK and a few people have expressed an interest - particularly after they've seen my PRS 500.

I just hope the ebook prices are going to be cheaper than paper books or else most people are going to be put off, I think.

However, one piece of good news for Waterstones is that Waterstones vouchers will be back on my christmas list. Waterstones vouchers or books were all I used to ask for for any occasion, but since getting my PRS500 I've been asking for cash instead so I can paypal people from here to buy gift tokens from the US so I could buy books from the Sony site
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #28
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi All,

I popped into Waterstones in Swindon this afternoon and confirmed that the release date is 5th Sept. They would not even show me the 505!

Called into the Sony Swindon store and they had one on display but again would not sell it until 5th September.

Will be going back to Waterstones on Thursday and may well buy one. Seems the best option in the UK and have a lot of pdf books and magazines that I would like to put on it.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #29
TetraKM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Well, at least the publicity machine is starting to kick in:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...paperback.html

....but not an overwhelming endorsement!!
But it does say that they will be selling them all from Thursday which by my calendar is the 4th

Isn't it funny the music industry said that mp3 players would never kill the CD but when was the last time you saw a kid under 16 with a CD? (Oddly a full set of decks and some 12" records yes ) But never a CD.

But Kids like books - and if they are easy to carry and read (especially as this technology grows and we get to colour screens etc) I think there will be a change.

My own point of view on music is download the tracks if you like em buy the CD.

For books I think it should be the same as some of the video producers where you can buy the electronic version of the film for imediate and futre views and they also send you the actual disc as well.

Now that is how ebooks should be done erm, Rant over and back to the day job

Last edited by TetraKM; 09-02-2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #30
seb530
seb530 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
I did get a promo email (can't remember if it was from Sony or Waterstones now) last month which announced the Reader being offered for sale by waterstones and that they'd have 2 weeks head start before it was available elsewhere (including the sony stores in the UK).
:
This is deffo not true. my local SONY store here in scotland has them in stock to sell - tried one yesterday - just got to justify the mullah..
seb530 is offline   Reply With Quote