Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
wsmaal
wsmaal began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre E-book viewer..

Great Calibre, but reading with the Calibre E-book reader on the computer isn't fine. Why?

If you read a page then (often) the last row of words of the page reoccur on the next page. That makes reading confusing.

Do I something wrong or I miss a format feature to solve the problem?
wsmaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Maybe this should be in the Calibre forum...... I'm not sure I understand your problem, but if you post in the Calibre forum I'm sure someone can. They are very helpful.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think that is just the way it is. One almost gets used to it
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
rwmcafee
Connoisseur
rwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it is

If you use the scroll bar on the right hand side of the screen, then yes this is the normal action.

To get a complete page turn, use the big purple (on my screen) left and right buttons on the left hand side of the screen. Or, use the page up or page down keys on the keyboard.
rwmcafee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
wsmaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmcafee View Post
To get a complete page turn, use the big purple (on my screen) left and right buttons on the left hand side of the screen. Or, use the page up or page down keys on the keyboard.
Exactly, then arises the subscribed problem.

@GoSharks: calibre-ebook.com/help: you can always ask for help, in the very active calibre forum at mobileread.com
or at #calibreforum on Twitter, or on the Facebook calibre fan page
Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
rwmcafee
Connoisseur
rwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it is

I think I see what might be the problem. When I read a book, I resize the reader window so that the text doesn't have any text from the next page barely showing. ie: the tops of the characters from the next sentence.

When I do this, the page turns work perfectly. But, when I do have some of the next sentence showing, then I start getting the results that you're getting. Also, I have found that some books just have this problem no matter what you do. I think that this is caused by the conversion that takes place to get the book into the reader.

I really don't read many books using the calibre reader, I usually send them to my Nook Classic reader. Sorry that I can't help you more than this. Hopefully, someone with a lot more experience than me will show up and point to a better way to use the reader.
rwmcafee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmaal View Post
Great Calibre, but reading with the Calibre E-book reader on the computer isn't fine. Why?
Calibre wasn't designed to be an ebook reader. It's a multipurpose application that just happens to be able to display ebook files. It only understands epub files (everything is converted before display) and there's better readers available. If you're *buying* ebooks from vendors, it's best to use their reader. If you're trying to read free ebooks, it probably makes more sense to use the Firefox epub reader plugin which does a much better job.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/epubreader/
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmaal View Post
@GoSharks: calibre-ebook.com/help: you can always ask for help, in the very active calibre forum at mobileread.com
or at #calibreforum on Twitter, or on the Facebook calibre fan page
??....I thought that was what I said.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
wsmaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
??....I thought that was what I said.
OK, that's what you meant, sorry. Twitter and Facebook are social networking sites and are, in contrast to forums (like mobileread), less suitable for more specific queries.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
wsmaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Calibre wasn't designed to be an ebook reader. It's a multipurpose application that just happens to be able to display ebook files. It only understands epub files (everything is converted before display) and there's better readers available.
Indead (except for the Linux platform). Reading epub books is in the most cases less comfortable on a PC, netbook or tablet then on an (e-ink) ereader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
If you're *buying* ebooks from vendors, it's best to use their reader. If you're trying to read free ebooks, it probably makes more sense to use the Firefox epub reader plugin which does a much better job.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/epubreader/
It's clear now that for reading on the Netbook the downloaded epub (Dutch) newspaper (via Calibre) and occasionally an epub book the FF addon is (in my case) the solution.