Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #76
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That 6 and 7 are suspiciously close together.
- I never noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Sorry that you're having problems with your K2 3G connection. Have given Amazon CS a call so they can help you troubleshoot?
- I know it's a location problem (I'm not in the US right now) so I don't think there's much they would be able to do. When I'm in the US, the wireless service is beyond super.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #77
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Have you tried typing "311" while on the settings page to look for a better connection? I have a Kindle 2 U.S. and don't have this ability but it is supposed to be available to K2i.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #78
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do the '311' thing often; however, we have only 2 providers: one is bad and the other is worse.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #79
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Any progress on that Calibre plugin?
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #80
Loosheesh
Wizard

Great news! I tried it again this morning - from scratch and with a new book - and it worked!

What was different this time around?

(a) I used a totally different book. I already had a copy of the first book I tried on my Kindle, though I changed the name when I put it through the Mobi2MobiGUI.

(b) I don't remember checking the boxes both times (before converting) when I changed the 'exth' type

(c) My wireless signal is a lot stronger now than last night

Whether it was one of the above factors or all, I don't know but it works! I'm really happy And I didn't even bother to open the file with K4PC, I just sideloaded it onto the Kindle and the Blackberry.

AGAIN
Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #81
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Yay!!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #82
pilotsnipes
pilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enoughpilotsnipes will become famous soon enough

Device: pilotsnipes
I've had good success with this, this morning.

Took a book (.mobi) and added ASIN number (taken from amazon) and EBOK tags to the metadata with mobi2mobi.

Added it manually to my android kindle folder.
Added it manually to my kindle via windows explorer.

Opened both and played around, each device asked could it sync to the latest location from the other device. Perfect.

Then removed book from kindle and transfered it via calibre to see if it kept the metadata during the transfer.

It did. Opened new book in kindle and clicked the sync to furthest location. Went directly to where I was in the android version. Nice.

I have not tested converting a book INSIDE calibre after adding the asin data to see if it maintains the ASIN data, as I don't think this is something that is like to happen to *me*.

I didn't experience any book cover issues at the moment on the android but that may be because I used the corretc ASIN number and not a dummy number...

Finding a plugin for calibre to bulk import the asin number from amazon would be lovely. I cannot help in this department sorry!

Hope that might help someone.
pilotsnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #83
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
After I saw Kerenon's script to automatically add fake ASIN numbers to the books, I was motivated to write one for windows.

So here is a .bat file you can use to mass edit the meta info for your ebooks for windows:
Code:
@echo off & setLocal EnableDELAYedExpansion

set "asin1=B00"
set /a count=0
for /f %%a IN ('dir /b *.mobi') do (set /a count=count+1)
echo "Number of files: %count%"

set /a diff=((9999-%count%) - 1000) + 1
set /a divisor = 32767 / %diff%
set /a diff2=(999 - 100) + 1
set /a divisor2 = 32767 / %diff2%

:Random1
set /a asin2=%random% / %divisor%
if /i %asin2% GTR 9999 goto Random1
if /i %asin2% LSS 1000 goto Random1

:Random2
set /a asin3=%random% / %divisor2%
if /i %asin3% GTR 999 goto Random2
if /i %asin3% LSS 100 goto Random2
set /a temp1=!asin2!

for /f "delims=  " %%b IN ('dir /b *.mobi') do (
C:\Users\m0ngr31\Downloads\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --exthtype 113 --exthdata "!asin1!!asin3!!temp1!" "%%b"
C:\Users\m0ngr31\Downloads\kindle\mobi2mobi.exe --outfile "%%b" --addexthtype 501 --exthdata "EBOK" "%%b"
set /a temp1=!temp1!+1
)
This will just generate a random fake ASIN number for it to sync to. Just save this as a .bat file and run it in the directory where all your books are stored. The only thing you have to change is the directory where mobi2mobi is on both those lines at the bottom.

Let me know if it works
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #84
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
m0ngr31:

Not that I'm ready for this but should that last line/paragraph be ONE LONG LINE in the batch file? My copy/paste made it 5 lines.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #85
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
So as along as the ASIN matches a book on Amazon, it will work. They don't need to have the same name, author etc?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #86
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
m0ngr31:

Not that I'm ready for this but should that last line/paragraph be ONE LONG LINE in the batch file? My copy/paste made it 5 lines.
It should be 5 lines.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #87
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
So as along as the ASIN matches a book on Amazon, it will work. They don't need to have the same name, author etc?
It appears that it doesn't even need to line up with a book. It just has to match a certain template of number so that Amazon thinks it's legit.

AFAIK, any combination of string that looks like B00******* should work. As long as the book you are trying to read with your different devices share the same ASIN number, it should work.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #88
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

m0ngr31, thank you so much for the script, karma coming your way.

Allthough, as others have stated, not having the correct ASIN numbers breaks the cover art on some devices (ie Android, unless you import the .jpg as well). Can you test this on your devices?

All feedback is welcome.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #89
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

NoWorthWhile: Sorry I don't have an android phone so I can't test the effects of the script

Does android download the cover automatically or something? Isn't there a setting on Calibre to include the cover art in the mobi file? I might just be up in the night though...

Last edited by m0ngr31; 01-16-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:13 AM   #90
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

I don't know actually, that is what others have reported. I only have an iOS device to test it on...

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync