Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question send to device format preference

how do I set up calibre so that send to device auto selects.mobi format for my Kindle and does not ask me to choose a format every time ?

if that's not possible can I at least edit the format options so that .mobi is option 1, i.e. remove the .azw option as I have no .azw in my calibre library
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
how do I set up calibre so that send to device auto selects.mobi format for my Kindle and does not ask me to choose a format every time ?
Set your Preferred output format to mobi, setting found at Preferences - Behavior.

I could be wrong, you might have to go to the device plugin and customize it by putting mobi at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_plugin.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	59037  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-29-2010 at 06:03 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=dwanthny;1136207]Set your Preferred output format to mobi, setting found at Preferences - Behavior.

IQUOTE]

that's already set, but I still get asked.
I think the above parameter is a preference used when converting book formats ,not for device send ?

there's a kindle (1) plug in - but calibre says it does not need customisation ???

I am not finding that kindle customise screen which you pictured anywhere in my preferences, is it a v7.21 beta addition , or in a wizard somewhere ?

also I think I had this workign OK a couple of weeks ago - maybe I unset something, or maybe it was after also conected my son's Sony reader,thus making calibre aware that there are two devies in the house, with different default formats ???

Last edited by cybmole; 09-29-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
that's already set, but I still get asked.
I think the above parameter is a preference used when converting book formats ,not for device send ?

there's a kindle (1) plug in - but calibre says it does not need customisation ???
Just checked, it's customizable here. Are you sure you got the device interface plugin?

Quote:
I am not finding that kindle customise screen which you pictured anywhere in my preferences, is it a v7.21 beta addition , or in a wizard somewhere ?
Go to preferences -> plugins -> device interface.

Quote:
also I think I had this workign OK a couple of weeks ago - maybe I unset something, or maybe it was after also conected my son's Sony reader,thus making calibre aware that there are two devies in the house, with different default formats ???
I believe that if you don't actively change settings yourself, Calibre doesn't change it's settings.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Preferences - Advanced - Plugins - Device interface plugins - Kindle2/3 - Customize plugin

These settings never change by themselves so your default is currently azw.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

OK guys - found it - I was looking at output plugins not at device plugins, so I found the kindle 2/3 one & set it to mobi only. hopefully that will work.

suprised that it is not setup like that by default, as mobi is the only non-DRM book format you can usefully send to device.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
OK guys - found it - I was looking at output plugins not at device plugins, so I found the kindle 2/3 one & set it to mobi only. hopefully that will work.

suprised that it is not setup like that by default, as mobi is the only non-DRM book format you can usefully send to device.
Well, it works like that: Calibre checks for the first format in the list, if it's available, it's sent to the device. Then it checks for the second format and so on. You should, to my knowledge, only see a selection prompt if it couldn't find any formats it could send.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Well, it works like that: Calibre checks for the first format in the list, if it's available, it's sent to the device. Then it checks for the second format and so on. You should, to my knowledge, only see a selection prompt if it couldn't find any formats it could send.
well no - I edited the plug in so that it would only send .mobi & .prc ( that latter was an accidental tick but read on please.

then I tried sending a book. I was offered those to formats & asked to choose, even though mobi was the only format on the list that I had that book in. ( I had it in mobi & epub)

so I edited preferences again, this time correctly making .mobi the only format.

tried send to device again ,this time was shown a screen inviting me to choose from 1 of 1 listed formats ( mobi).

not a big deal - just a pointless extra screen.

so I reckon maybe that if calibre has a book(s) in 2 or more formats, then it always asks you to choose one when you send book to device, no matter what you do on preferences screens.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
so I reckon maybe that if calibre has a book(s) in 2 or more formats, then it always asks you to choose one when you send book to device, no matter what you do on preferences screens.
No, it doesn't. At least not if it is behaving normally... I have some books that I have two supported formats of, and when trying to transfer, the ePub (which is my preferred format and set as such in the preferences) gets sent automatically.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Are you clicking on the send-to-device icon, or are you choosing send-specific-format?

Reason I ask: if you are clicking on the button and you are getting asked, then something is broken. Clicking the button is supposed to always pick the highest priority preferred format available. And it works for me, every time, on both my Sony and on the Folder Device.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you clicking on the send-to-device icon, or are you choosing send-specific-format?

Reason I ask: if you are clicking on the button and you are getting asked, then something is broken. Clicking the button is supposed to always pick the highest priority preferred format available. And it works for me, every time, on both my Sony and on the Folder Device.
i tried it both ways - just clicking the button and selecting send specific format, & yes I'm pretty sure it used to work without asking me, also - but not now..

most likely it's not "broken" more likely there's some other preference which also influences this behaviour

the 1st calibre version i used was 7.17 & I reckon it was "working" then,.since then I've done 3 program updates + played around with various settings.

Hmm - save to disc also behaves strangely - if I select save mobi format only to disc, which appears as a drop down option -then it works without further ado, but if I jsut click save to disc it asks for a directory, & then says saving - but the test book does not appear in the target directory . - ah, i think that's because somewhere, somehow, I configured "save to disc" to only do epub, as I was saving books for my son's sony reader. but I can't find how I did that now! - ah - its on the save to disc preferences. I have that set to epub.

so maybe because I have save to disc = epub and send to device = mobi, calibre is confused , or needs a restart to fully implement plug in customisations?

I'll maybe test it again tomorrow after a full PC shut down & restart.

it's no big deal for me to have to click one extra "OK" when sending books to Kindle.

Last edited by cybmole; 09-29-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

I just figured this out by accident: In the dropdown of "Send to device", you need to set the preferred storage medium in the default send to device action, not in the submenu "Send specific format". See attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	59067  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

wow thanks - some of these preferences are spectactularly well hidden :-)
Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

UPDATE - the above fix does not help - I still get the extra screen:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4ca44856.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	59092  
Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

solved - you could make an adventure game out of this stuff.

it's exactly what you said, not what I read into it!

the settings have to be default action = send to device, main memory. NOT send to device, specific format. the latter ( confusingly) TURNS ON the which format ? screen for every transfer.