Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #2911
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealBigSwede View Post
Hello All,
I just got a Kindle PaperWhite (firmware 5.3.1) and installed JailBreak (latest version). I like to install more fonts and screen saver, But I can't figure how to do that. I need step by step instructions. If some one could find it in their heart to make a file that explain it I would really, really appreciate that.
Thanks In advanced, RealBigSwede

PS In the descriptions I see all the other Kindles names and can't finer the PaperWhite
This thread is for the non-touch Kindles, try this thread instead for the Kindle Touch/Paperwight (K5): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474

Make sure you have the K5 jailbreak too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #2912
RealBigSwede
PaperWhite Mooron
RealBigSwede began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
This thread is for the non-touch Kindles, try this thread instead for the Kindle Touch/Paperwight (K5): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474

Make sure you have the K5 jailbreak too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446
Thanks, Dazrin. So my Kindle PaperWhite is a K5?
RealBigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #2913
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealBigSwede View Post
Thanks, Dazrin. So my Kindle PaperWhite is a K5?
For the purposes of this particular hack the answer is yes.

You want the other tread

EDIT: Under "the hood" they run the same core processor.

Get a touch. Rip the soundcard out, stick a light on it, up the screen res. voila a paperwhite.

Last edited by twobob; 12-25-2012 at 10:34 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #2914
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Santa Claus said he would leave us a new PW prefix for Christmas.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #2915
ozbek.su
ozbek.su began at the beginning.

Device: k-pw
i couldn't get through usbnetworking

hi, sorry if I'm cross-posting, but i want to install fonts, too.

i'm using kindle paper-white running 5.3.1 jail-broken with ixtab's kpw_jb.zip and after than i mounted kindle and copied files to kindle from kindle-usbnet-0.6.N.zip. When I do update device kindle first updates the device and says update successful than it restarts and tries to update some more and gives update error:3 and asks me to hold on to the power button to restart.

I couldn't figure what I'm doing wrong or is it the normal process. if you please enlighten me on it or direct me to the proper location for info I would really appreciate it.

I apologize again if this is the wrong thread to post this question - I will kindly ask mods to move it to proper thread if it is.
ozbek.su is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #2916
Nodnarb518
Nodnarb518 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I just uninstalled the fonts hack 4.6 from my K3W. Can I install 5.6 without updating my jailbreak? Running jailbreak 0.6
Nodnarb518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #2917
Imfromthenet
Imfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G UK
Wink excuse the noob

hi there,

I would like to know if one must jailbreak the device first, in order to use the screensaver hack?

and what is the chance of bricking the device?

thank you
Imfromthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #2918
Imfromthenet
Imfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipseImfromthenet can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G UK
Question skip my last reply

Known issue. I should have searched before posting.

Last edited by Imfromthenet; 12-28-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Known issue. I should have searched before posting.
Imfromthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #2919
HarryPottersWand
HarryPottersWand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Does anyone know how to uninstall the Python package? I see the other files have a uninstall, but the Python does not.
HarryPottersWand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #2920
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPottersWand View Post
Does anyone know how to uninstall the Python package? I see the other files have a uninstall, but the Python does not.
Just delete it.
That one does not have (or need) anything else.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #2921
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you could check your $PATH is unaffected (not sure what the installer actually does) but either way it shouldn't hurt to have a deal folder(s) link(s) in there...
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #2922
pleasehelpme
pleasehelpme began at the beginning.

Device: black kindle 4 2o12
i cant open the bin file properly, so i got the name and entered into the kindles root as a blank empty file. is there anywhere i can download this file on its own

update_ss_0.33.N_k4_install.bin

if i download it as a whole i cant unpack all the files help!
pleasehelpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #2923
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasehelpme View Post
i cant open the bin file properly, so i got the name and entered into the kindles root as a blank empty file. is there anywhere i can download this file on its own

update_ss_0.33.N_k4_install.bin

if i download it as a whole i cant unpack all the files help!
Duh . . .

YOU do not unpack the files!
The KINDLE unpacks the files.

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update your Kindle

If the "update" entry is grayed out - something is wrong - ask for help before doing anything else other than re-reading the directions with whatever package you are trying to install.

Have you looked at the attachments to the first post of this thread yet?

Last edited by knc1; 12-30-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #2924
pleasehelpme
pleasehelpme began at the beginning.

Device: black kindle 4 2o12
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Duh . . .

YOU do not unpack the files!
The KINDLE unpacks the files.

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update your Kindle

If the "update" entry is grayed out - something is wrong - ask for help before doing anything else other than re-reading the directions with whatever package you are trying to install.

Have you looked at the attachments to the first post of this thread yet?

thanks i did that, it was a 6mb file and when i updated my kindle i got a folder called python, no screensaver folder or anything, just 40mb of small files
pleasehelpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #2925
twobob

Hi . Read the docs. Tell me where in the docs you are getting stuck.

Quote:
To change your custom screensavers, plug your Kindle to your computer via USB, and upload them to the *linkss/screensavers* folder

Last edited by twobob; 12-30-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet