Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
djwoodard
djwoodard began at the beginning.

Device: kobo reader
Corrupted DB on Reader

My tale of woe...

I copied some PDFs to my kobo reader from an Ubuntu 10.04 PC. Seemed to go fine, but I couldn't open them in the reader. Tried to add some more PDFs (from Ubuntu) and they didn't even show up.

At this point, I deleted all the PDFs and ePUBs I had added. When I ejected my reader (and waited for it to process), the documents list still showed all of my docs. Of course, I couldn't actually open them but they were still in the list. I reset the device with the pinhole in the back but the list didn't change. I reset to factory defaults from the menu but the list was still there. I also noticed that some of my history on the included ebooks remained while the most recent history disappeared.

Then I opened the sqlite database in the SQLite Manager addon for Firefox. I can browse the DbVersion, shortcover_page, and user tables. Browsing the content or volume_shortcovers tables causes problems.

An example message:
'SQLiteManager: Query: SELECT count(*) FROM "main"."content" - executeStep failed
Exception Name: NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED
Exception Message: Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozlStorageStatement.executeStep]'

Is this repairable?
djwoodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Ouch.

I had a similar issue on mine when I deleted a bunch of the .profle fies.

I found that when I opened the Adode desktop app and double clicked on the device bookshelf all of the books were listed but, marked as missing. I did a shift click to highlight the beginning and the end of the missing books list and I pressed the delete key to clear the list.

I don't know if that will help in this case.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
djwoodard

Thanks. That would have helped if I had used Adobe Digital Editions to copy the books on to the reader.

The problem is that nothing updates the lists on the reader anymore. I can add files by drag-and-drop or through Adobe Digital Editions but the Documents list on the reader doesn't change. Also, the history in the I'm Reading list never changes even if I read another book.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
djwoodard

Here's what I did:

Renamed KoboReader.sqlite to KoboReader.sqlite.old.
Factory reset the reader. (I now had no books in the Books section, got rid of the documents that I had deleted, and now had some new books that I had added from Adobe Digital Editions while I was trying to see what worked.)
Found some of the originally included books in the Kobo store and added them. Had to sync twice to get them to show up for some reason.
Added some PDFs through Adobe DigEd. They all showed up, no problem.

So, I'm calling this fixed. Yay!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
karenv
karenv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader, iPhone
Boy, I sure hope they fix these things for those of us who are techno wienies. Sqlite, CSS... Yikes!
karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenv View Post
Boy, I sure hope they fix these things for those of us who are techno wienies. Sqlite, CSS... Yikes!
Well said! I mean, I'm kind of a minor wienie, or wienie wannabe, but I realize that as much fun (??) as it is to get in there and mess around with stuff, I think I'd prefer it if things just happened on their own.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Fortunately, the vast majority of users aren't such curious folk as we and will just use ADE as the interface. It works; it's dead simple.

What is NOT dead simple are the instructions from Kobo on how to get to square one. Especially for the first time e-reader user, it's as close to bullet-proof as these things can get. Once you know how. It would be helpful if Kobo were more explicit 1-2-3.

Plug in the reader; install the desktop. Go to Adobe, install ADE. Create an ADE account; start ADE and allow it to recognise the reader. Go the Kobo store (click the software you installed at the beginning); create an account. Buy something -- even something free and download it. Click on the downloaded file; magically it shows up in ADE; drag it to the Kobo. Unplug your reader and read.

It's more complicated to relate. There may be glitches -- maybe you already have Sony e-reader installed, for example, which has taken over ADE. But the worst thing is to start manually filling up the Kobo internal drive without letting the device properly load through ADE. It may work fine; but using the ADE interface is ultimately easier and safer.

These are teething pains: hopefully they sort this out before a massive rollout in Borders next month. Plus fix that font / ePub thing. The Kobo is a little dream machine, as far as I'm concerned. Some days we tinkerers are our own worst enemies.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
^Thank you for that post.^ I ordered my Kobo last week when the black ones became available on Chapters website, and since I've been waiting for this device for so long (I had a white one pre-ordered that I ended up cancelling when I found out about the black one), hearing everyone's horror stories of how the reader isn't working properly is making me worry I'm going to somehow mess it up when it arrives (tomorrow, yay!) I already have books I've bought from the Kobo bookstore and have them in ADE in anticipation of having the eReader, and to read a post that simplifies the steps on getting a book uploaded to it is encouraging for me. I'm not completely tech-illiterate, but this is my first experience with an eReader, so I really hope it's as easy as SensualPoet has just laid out.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote