Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
charlesk
I read a *lot*
charlesk began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story, Kindle DX, iPad 16gb WiFi
G'day!

Hi everyone

long time lurker, only recently registered from Australia.

I've been reading ebooks since the late 90s using a variety of PDAs. Unfortunately age is having its effect, and I'm looking at getting an iRiver Story as it is the only eReader available in Australia that is both reasonably priced, is well reviewed and supports ePub. I suspect that my eyes will thank me.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Charlesk.

Be sure to check out some of the over 15,000 books available here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi charlesk and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and let us know what you finally get
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	gday.gif
Views:	182
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	45097 charlesk, and welcome to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
charlesk
I read a *lot*

Thanks for the welcome, all. It is much appreciated.
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Welcome to MR, Charlesk
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Hi. I'm in Melbourne and have been researching ereaders for weeks now. I only discovered the iRiver Story yesterday and before that it was all the ereaders at www.dadirect.com.au. There are more choices than just the Story, but like you said, our prices are so much more expensive that other countries that it's driving me batty to make sure I get what I want and don't waste my money.

Did you get the Story? How are you finding it?
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #11
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello charlesk and welcome to MobileRead!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
charlesk
I read a *lot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Hi. I'm in Melbourne and have been researching ereaders for weeks now. I only discovered the iRiver Story yesterday and before that it was all the ereaders at www.dadirect.com.au. There are more choices than just the Story, but like you said, our prices are so much more expensive that other countries that it's driving me batty to make sure I get what I want and don't waste my money.

Did you get the Story? How are you finding it?
Hija

Yes, I did buy the Story. It is lovely - very good reading experience, easy to manage using Calibre, nice, clear crisp text. The build quality is great, and it feels really good in the hand, and is intuitive to use.

Unfortunately, despite all this I did end up returning it. Not because it is not good enough, far from it, but because the screen, at 6"(the same as the Kindle 2), isn't big enough for me - I read very quickly and I was just having to switch pages constantly.

The other, and even larger issue for me is down to my reading patterns - I do most of my reading at night, in bed. My wife can't sleep with my bedside lamp on so I tried using a couple of different clip on led lights. None of them really worked all that well, and I kept on fiddling with the things to try and get a decent reading experience, and failed.

That is an e-ink issue, not an iRiver one so don't let it sway you against the machine. As for me, I'm currently rethinking what I can do. A screen the size of the Kindle DX would be nice, but then I still have the lighting issue.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for that, it helps a lot. It sounds like laptop might be the go for you. Thankfully my husband sleeps through anything. At the moment I'm reading on my laptop in bed, the light doesn't bother him at all. I'd much rather be lying down comfortably while reading, which is why I'm here researching away!

I hope you find something that suits you soon.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #14
charlesk
I read a *lot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Thanks for that, it helps a lot. It sounds like laptop might be the go for you.
Like you I prefer to lie down comfortably so a laptop doesn't work. To tell the truth, an iPad or similar device might be the go for me. I realise that particular device isn't popular around here, but I think it might be a good fit.

Quote:
I hope you find something that suits you soon.
Thanks! Let me know how you get on.