Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Battery consumption

I would like to find out how much runtime you have between recharges. For me, it's about 4.5 hours. In this time, I was displaying a single pdf, and I flipped pages at most 10 times (over the whole time). No stylus work, no network, no nothing. What are you guys doing when you get 7 hours?
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
masc
Enthusiast
masc began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
What are you guys doing when you get 7 hours?
also 4.5 h here. I got mine yesterday and I'm recharging it now for the third time. I realy want to know how they get 7 hours?

Last edited by masc; 07-22-2006 at 05:47 PM.
masc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That's less than I get when I read e-books on my PDA. The irony considering that we are dealing with the newest display technology here aimed at considerably reducing battery usage. Let's hope iRex is working hard on optimizing the software.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
i had about 7 hours the first 2 times, now its about 4-5 aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
About 3 to 4/4.5 hours here as well.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
Same here 4 to 4.5 hours.
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
So the statement:

# Very low power: You can read three hours a day for more than one week, from the iLiad without recharging the battery.

Is false advertising?
Devlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:44 AM   #8
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
until irex start adding powersaving to the next updates we can't be sure of battery length.
remember us early buyers are using beta software.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlar
So the statement:

# Very low power: You can read three hours a day for more than one week, from the iLiad without recharging the battery.

Is false advertising?
Well, thats their promise for the final OS version. And they have lots of places to save power. For now, the CPU runs on 400MHz all the time. At least i havent seen it go down to lower speeds (any of you) And since it can run on 33MHz, that could save some power, i guess.

But at the moment i dont see the promised battery time ever beeing reached.

Personally i would expect an alomst total power down of the processor after a few seconds, so you will never have to really power down the device. But we will have to wait and see, what they can really do, and how well the calculated the power saving abilities of the iLiad.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:07 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm also wondering about the battery-life.
The promise fo the next software is 8 hours...yeah...great...

The trouble is, that I don't understadn what's so difficult about the powersaving. Normal PDAs (Windows based!!!) have no boot-up time (switch off, switch on and you are ready to go, only boot when you reset it....) and can scale their processors down no problem. The only thing they need power for is the display and it's backlight.

Now what I would have thought is, that once you have the reader software running, all you do is switch the device off as soon as the page is loaded and then switch it back on when the user touches the page-flip bar.

The Iliad takes almost a minute to boot (at least it feels like forever) and it drains power all the time. Turning WiFi off should help of course, but I just don't understand why simple things like xcale power management isn't implemented in the core-os...it's not exactly new after all...

I asked irex about that, but didn't forumlate it quite as clearly...maybe i'll have to write another email. They seem reluctant about disclosing their pwer management plans..I hope that doesn't mean they don't have any...
The Hanlin V8 doesn't even have an on/off switch...that's what i'm hoping we'll get witht he Iliad once the Software is done...but somehow I'm not really believing it...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #11
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
The trouble is, that I don't understand what's so difficult about the powersaving.
From what I understand it has to do with using lots of off-the-shelf parts, which are apparently tricky to power down separately. I did not quite follow that, not being a technical person myself. Perhaps you could extract some information from Jan van de Kamer via Angel Ancin. I remember being shown a sort of design schematic as part of their Powerpoint presentation. Don't know how public these images are.

(BTW, Angel is a man, Loeki is a woman, not the other way around.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I asked irex about that, but didn't forumlate it quite as clearly...maybe i'll have to write another email. They seem reluctant about disclosing their pwer management plans..I hope that doesn't mean they don't have any...
It doesn't. I cannot say more, because that ties in to one of the two things I promised to keep quiet about.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:34 AM   #12
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
Yeah, given the nature of the display they should be able to keep the thing completely throttled down for 99% of the time, only alive enough to keep polling the switches. And if my Nintendo DS Lite can run 8 hours on a charge running graphics on 2 brightly-lit screens then we should see a hell of a lot more than 8 hours out of the iLiad once things are properly implemented.

Part of the appeal of e-ink devices is that potentially they can be "book-like" in that you can put them down mid-read and just come back to them later without worrying about whether the power's run out. They shouldn't use significant power at all when just displaying a page. They *certainly* shouldn't be idling at 400MHz with Wifi on .
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #13
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky ox
Part of the appeal of e-ink devices is that potentially they can be "book-like" in that you can put them down mid-read and just come back to them later without worrying about whether the power's run out.
I can do that with my PDA; after two minutes of non-use, it switches itself off. I carry that thing around for weeks, sometimes months without recharging. (Currently I only use it to read when I have to wait for something, for instance when I am in a long queue at the supermarket.) What e-paper devices are supposed to shine in is low power consumption during heavy use.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #14
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
It must be definitely possible to get a much much longer battery life. I have 3 xscale devices lying around here, all without the advantage of having a screen which only needs power to change:

Zaurus C-860 (architecture probably best compared to iLiad):
Apparently someone managed to run it for more than 12 hours streaming audio through wireless (CF card) and hearing it with headphone. Screen was turned off. I never tried it myself, but when I use it I normally don't care about checking the battery status, because it saves so much power. Actually you never switch it off, it just goes to suspend. And that it does without problems and really fast. Wake up is also instantly.

Palm Tungsten E:
with screen turned on you can get 5 hours battery life

HTC Magician Smartphone:
180 minutes using the gsm phone talking, 180 hours phone standby waiting for calls
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arm_devices.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1281  

Last edited by R2D2; 07-23-2006 at 08:30 AM.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:23 AM   #15
Cynics
The Iliad Avenger
Cynics began at the beginning.

I just tested my Iliad on battery life:

Firmware: 2.6.1
# times battery drained: 2
Time: 9hrs +10min or so
Activity: about 50-60 page turns, and turned off and on once

I noticed some of the other posters said they tested it the first two times with decent battery results, and the third and successive times were noticibly lower. Hopefully this doesn't happen with me. This is to give some of the non-believers some hope on battery life. Of note, I received my Iliad on the 28th of August....
Cynics is offline   Reply With Quote