Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Reporting Plagiarism

Greetings,

Is there any standard of method of reporting suspected plagiarism? I was reading a recently published ebook today and I noticed a passage that seemed oddly familar (and bit out of keeping with the style of the novel). I then checked wikipedia and, low and behold, the passage seems to have been copied, with little alteration, from the wikipedia article dedicated to one of the novel's (historical) antagonists. I was going to publish this on my blog but, not wanting to be sued for libel, I decided to ask here if anyone knows what I
should do. This is a very high-profile novel from a respected publishing company, not a self-published indy book. The hardcover is selling quite well and getting good reviews.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't have an answer but wonder how you can tell which came first, the book or the wikipedia version and whether or not they were contributed by the same person?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmm...

WikiPedia content is under Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike license. Is the book in question also CC? If so I think it is ok.

If it is not CC the Wikipedia article needs to be given as the cite for the info.

And, as Daffy said, which came first, the book or the Wikipedia info?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's no standard method as far as I know - there's certainly no central authority.

You could report your suspicions to Wikipedia - they might be interested.
You could tell the publisher about it.
You could ask the author about the passage

You could mention on your blog that you found a passage in the book that reminded you of part of a wikipedia entry, and include both extracts. So long as you stick to provable facts you should be OK. e.g. don't entitle the entry "<Famous author> steals from wikipedia!")

You should also check the wikipedia page's history, to make sure that the wikipedia entry hasn't been copied from the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Is there any standard of method of reporting suspected plagiarism?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I don't have an answer but wonder how you can tell which came first, the book or the wikipedia version and whether or not they were contributed by the same person?
The wikipedia article came first. I checked the revision from June and the plagiarized passage was there. The book was published in October.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
The wikipedia article came first. I checked the revision from June and the plagiarized passage was there. The book was published in October.
Published in October, but no way of telling when the author wrote it.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Published in October, but no way of telling when the author wrote it.
But the wikipedia article can't have been copied out of the book before the book was published. So if the passages really are the same, either the author copied from wikipedia, or the author added that section to wikipedia.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But the wikipedia article can't have been copied out of the book before the book was published. So if the passages really are the same, either the author copied from wikipedia, or the author added that section to wikipedia.
True, unless that part of the book had been published elsewhere.

Unlikely, I know, but the point is that it's very difficult for you (or anybody) to prove who's plagiarising who. I think you're right to be cautious.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
There is also "fair use" that might fall into place. If it is only a small passage - say a paragraph to two, compared to the full text then .....

Or maybe the author thought of it as fair use....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There can't be anything actionable in pointing out the similarity. And you could do this anywhere that you liked. Just add something like, "Isn't this very strange?"
People can draw their own conclusions.

There is no central authority for reporting plagiarism. It is certainly on the increase in universities, and I've had to institute disciplinary action in several cases over the last few years. I usually discover them by Googling whenever the style gets a-typical. Also we have anti-plagiarism software.
Quite frankly, if I were ever tempted to plagiarise, then I'd be careful not to pick on a source that can be Googled.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thought about contacting the author first and pointing the similarity out? Maybe it's an honest mistake. Any further action would depend for me on his / her reaction.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Contacting the author privately to discuss the matter would be the best course of action, I think, rather than making public accusations which may turn out to be embarrasing to all concerned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #13
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Contacting the author privately to discuss the matter would be the best course of action, I think, rather than making public accusations which may turn out to be embarrasing to all concerned.
Glad we are on the same wavelength. Good to meet like minded. Although you are smarter than me
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Greetings,

Is there any standard of method of reporting suspected plagiarism? I was reading a recently published ebook today and I noticed a passage that seemed oddly familar (and bit out of keeping with the style of the novel). I then checked wikipedia and, low and behold, the passage seems to have been copied, with little alteration, from the wikipedia article dedicated to one of the novel's (historical) antagonists. I was going to publish this on my blog but, not wanting to be sued for libel, I decided to ask here if anyone knows what I
should do. This is a very high-profile novel from a respected publishing company, not a self-published indy book. The hardcover is selling quite well and getting good reviews.

Luqman
I'm also for asking the author first, but I want to point out that you can't be sued for libel merely for pointing out the similarities in the material. Not in the US, anyway.

For it to be libel, it has to be both false and malicious.

Publishing your finding without further investigation could *possibly* be considered malicious, but if what you publish is true, you aren't guilty of libel.

But consult the author just to cover all the bases.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Can't add much to what's already been said, except to point out that plagiarism is not a crime, and therefore the concept of "reporting" it doesn't really make sense.

Plagiarism is not the same as copyright infringement. When you violate someone's copyright, you are stealing their creative work, and they are entitled to seek damages. With plagiarism, you are stealing ideas, opinions and research. There's no law against that, although the victim might well feel aggrieved at the loss.

Actually, this particular case sounds more like copyright infringement than plagiarism, as the passage in question was copied verbatim from another work, with no acknowledgement or citation.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote