Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-31-2016, 06:17 AM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Security problem changing email?

Hi all!

Just have changed my email and found a possible security problem (more than security, logic problem) in the way it is done now.

When you change your email, you need to enter your password and then the new email address. A confirmation email is sent to that address.

Now suppose a bad guy that has got your password (because it is weak, how many of you have 1234 or similar as password?, or got from other leaked service, etc). Then he changes your email to his own email, the confirmation is sent to the new email but not to the old one.

The right thing would be send the confirmation link to both emails and only change the password when both emails confirm that.

What do you thing about this?
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Hi all!

Just have changed my email and found a possible security problem (more than security, logic problem) in the way it is done now.

When you change your email, you need to enter your password and then the new email address. A confirmation email is sent to that address.

Now suppose a bad guy that has got your password (because it is weak, how many of you have 1234 or similar as password?, or got from other leaked service, etc). Then he changes your email to his own email, the confirmation is sent to the new email but not to the old one.

The right thing would be send the confirmation link to both emails and only change the password when both emails confirm that.

What do you thing about this?
The other common way is to Notify the Old email as a courtesy and provide an "abort this change", not authorized. No reply = 'All is well' The link should be good for a period of days (not everyone checks mail daily )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's another option.

In relation to not to check email daily... well, I have some accounts I only check weekly and even monthly, like... er... mmmm... the email I had in Mobileread.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Be aware that the old email server might have been torn down without warning, or seized by the NSA or other such agency, in which case the account is a black hole. I had my 'private' account at such a service, when the NSA seized it, I had no end of grief with banks, local government, public utilities etc etc.

Because I couldn't respond to the change email address confirmation message, sent to what was now an NSA black hole, I had to supply stat decs to banks etc so they would change my email addy manually,. Paypal mail is still a problem for me because of that.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:20 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are many reasons why one may no longer have access to an old email account. Eg changing jobs, moving ISP, finishing a course as a student, etc. A system which relied on confirmation from the old address would be a real pain!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 AM   #6
rfog
Guru

Yes, but in that case user need to type more information to be able to change his email.

I'm only informing about a possible security problem.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I agree about the potential security issue. At a minimum a notification to the old email should be sent out.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I agree about the potential security issue. At a minimum a notification to the old email should be sent out.
Some of my accounts also can TEXT a simple notice. That takes care of the now dead ISP issue
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote