Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
ForsCream
Connoisseur
ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
How do you find the books worth reading?

By goodreads?
NY-Times best-seller rank?

I always feel anxiety about if the book I am reading is a waste of time.

So how do you find the nice books which worth reading?
ForsCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Reading Recommendations" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 AM   #3
JohnRR
Connoisseur
JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I will read the first 10% to determine if I like it. If yes, I continue to read the whole book. If no, I will skip it. There are too many books in this world. I won't continue to read a book if I don't enjoy it.
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If I enjoy the book, I consider it a good and enjoyable read. If I enjoy doing something it is not a waste of time.
I find books in many different ways. Some are books I have read before that are finally being released as eBooks. I also peruse sites like Amazon and B&N looking for books I might find interesting. I look for new releases by authors who's books I have enjoyed before. I even still walk into book stores to see what is available, although I do not do this as much as I used to. I find most book stores to be transitioning to sellers of things other than books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Typically I have a group of authors that I have liked in the past that I tend to stay loyal to: Clive Cussler (approximatly eleven left so I will be working on these for a while), Terry Goodkind (I am current with his books). To find new authors I think that I will try the simila rauthors listings in goodreads.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I often find interesting books in the threads here.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
This is a nice little feature, which allows you to select a book you enjoyed, and it will recommend other titles that you might also enjoy.

Here's the full url for those that don't like clicking embedded links:

orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use various means:

Favourite authors: there are certain authors that I know I enjoy, and I'll buy anything they publish. Eg Peter Robinson in the crime genre, and Stephen Baxter in SF.

Favourite publishers: I buy all Baen's monthly bundles, because I know that I'll enjoy the overwhelming majority of what they publish.

Recommendations: I buy a lot of books based on recommendations I see here at MR. Eg I'm currently reading (and very much enjoying) Andy Weir's "The Martian" after seeing recommendations for it here.

Deals: Amazon often have great deals that are hard to resist.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Browse old threads here going back a few years, look for recommendations based on genres or authors that you already like.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Recommendations here or from friends. Browsing the books at Amazon.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsCream View Post
I always feel anxiety about if the book I am reading is a waste of time.

So how do you find the nice books which worth reading?
By accepting the fact that I'm not going to be head over heels in love with every single book I read. I don't stress over picking only winners. There's no prize for the highest batting average in reading. I'm going to whiff. The world doesn't end when I do.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
How readers "discover" new books and authors is one of the hottest topics in the publishing industry. I buy mostly from Amazon and browse their bestseller lists every few days sorted by genres I'm interested in. If I find a book that I think I might be interested in, I read the reviews and click "look inside" to read a few pages.

In addition, I subscribe to the Bookbub email service and find quite a few books through their recommendations. I also find many books through recommendations here and on the Amazon customer forums.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am finding that I use Amazon recommendations based on my past purchases more than I used to. While most of them are useless, every now and then one catches my eye and the book description will sound interesting. I've found a few new-to-me authors this way.

I haven't had much luck with the sites that say "if you like X, try Y." Usually the authors that come up for me are ones I am already familiar with, or else ones that don't really seem to fit my taste (based on synopses of their books).

I don't know the last time I found myself stuck with a real clunker. Sometimes the books aren't as good as I hoped from a synopsis, but usually I enjoy them well enough.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I get new authors to try from here more than through most other sources. I found a few through the "literature map" project, typing in a favorite and browsing some of the claimed-to-be-similar authors.

My most reliable sources are the published winners and nominees for industry awards (Nebula, Hugo, Stoker, Edgar, etcetera). I like a high percentage of those authors I try. You'll have an overflowing list just by looking over a few years worth of those.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I stumble upon them
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote