Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Post Sony-Kindle Cage Match

http://tinyurl.com/yvxdag

Pretty interesting comparison. I guess it just boils down to personal preference....like why some people like vanilla and some chocolate.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
tix4luck
tix4luck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks Kingston. My wife and I had fun writing our comparisons. She loves her Sony and I love my Kindle. Just like vanilla and chocolate. We are both stoked people are reading our article. Thanks for telling people about it.
tix4luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
*Sony is Evil* Very well said!

I am totally with you tix4luck. It seemed that 80% your wift's argument for Sony was about cosmetic. LoL

Sony lovers - don't get me wrong. I have both devices and I love prs for its hackability... and look.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That article is so full of nonsense. They compare the Reader to other products that have nothing to do with it. They complain about blu-ray even. That article is just awful overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I disagree, JSWolf. The blu-ray thing (along with betamax and minidisk) is meant as an illustration of Sony's tendency to back proprietary formats, so I figure it's a relevant point ... I don't find it compelling, mind you, given the fact that Amazon seems to be playing the same proprietary format game, but there you go.

I think they cover some good details that folks might have questions about, and they come at it from a user perspective, so that's a valuable approach.

Just my 2¢ of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I disagree, JSWolf. The blu-ray thing (along with betamax and minidisk) is meant as an illustration of Sony's tendency to back proprietary formats, so I figure it's a relevant point ... I don't find it compelling, mind you, given the fact that Amazon seems to be playing the same proprietary format game, but there you go.

I think they cover some good details that folks might have questions about, and they come at it from a user perspective, so that's a valuable approach.

Just my 2¢ of course.
HD-DVD is a proprietary format, VHS was a proprietary format, Kindle's AZW format is proprietary.. just about anything new is proprietary. So why does that have to be brought up as an issue?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
HD-DVD is a proprietary format, VHS was a proprietary format, Kindle's AZW format is proprietary.. just about anything new is proprietary. So why does that have to be brought up as an issue?
It clearly is an issue to a lot of folks.

That being said, I tend to mostly agree with you on the point: in most cases it's something to consider, but not necessarily a show-stopper for me.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
That article is so full of nonsense. They compare the Reader to other products that have nothing to do with it. They complain about blu-ray even. That article is just awful overall.
to be fair, they are mentioning these other products in the context of proprietary formats and DRM in Sony's history. that seems pertinent here.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
to be fair, they are mentioning these other products in the context of proprietary formats and DRM in Sony's history. that seems pertinent here.
Why not mention Amazon's history of eBooks and how they screwed over a lot of people who needed to download them again and could not. That's a bit more relevant in this case. Sony has no bad history with eBooks and Amazon does. But why doesn't that ever get mentioned?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Mostly because most people don't know it, I expect. Certainly complete newcomers (like the folks Amazon seems to be mainly targeting) won't know about it.

Actually, that might be a good point to add to their blog comments ....
Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tix4luck View Post
Thanks Kingston. My wife and I had fun writing our comparisons. She loves her Sony and I love my Kindle. Just like vanilla and chocolate. We are both stoked people are reading our article. Thanks for telling people about it.
It was an interesting read. But, You listed the good things about the Kindle, and your wife listed the bad things about the Kindle. It would have been better if she listed to good things about the Sony.

IMNSHO,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tix4luck View Post

Hey, thanks for the article and welcome to the Forum.

Pull up a chair, make yourself at home and post away.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It is not true that anything new is proprietary. And for VHS the cost to produce one VHS player was so high that it did not matter (if VHS now was proprietary, it was well known how it worked at least).

The damage a proprietary format does is much greater when the cost to read the format is nearly zero.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I believe the review is a complete r...useless thing.

Many inaccuracies, many important things are missed.

It is like a comparison of BMW and Ford.

Ask an experienced driver his opinion about Ford and ask his wife about her experience with BMW. All we are going to hear about BMW is how sleek it is...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is not true that anything new is proprietary. And for VHS the cost to produce one VHS player was so high that it did not matter (if VHS now was proprietary, it was well known how it worked at least).

The damage a proprietary format does is much greater when the cost to read the format is nearly zero.
In fairness, though, Sony appear to have done exactly the right thing with their Blu-Ray DVD; it would appear that they have "won the war".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote