Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
TorontoJenny
Addicted to Books
TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Glo, Mini, Touch
Kobo Glo possible issue?

Hi everyone,

I just got a glo 2 days ago, and I love it, I do notice that when the light is on, the bottom of the screen looks it has four little shadows on it. It doesn't really interfere with my reading but I wonder if anyone else noticed this.

Also, when I turn a page, I can see the page flicker to italic words in the background before evening out into normala font. A few times when I have turned the page, it goes solid black, the words go white, and then it evens out again. Not sure if these are just little oddities or something that warrants an exchange of the unit. Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks,
Jen
TorontoJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoJenny View Post
Hi everyone,

I just got a glo 2 days ago, and I love it, I do notice that when the light is on, the bottom of the screen looks it has four little shadows on it. It doesn't really interfere with my reading but I wonder if anyone else noticed this.

Also, when I turn a page, I can see the page flicker to italic words in the background before evening out into normala font. A few times when I have turned the page, it goes solid black, the words go white, and then it evens out again. Not sure if these are just little oddities or something that warrants an exchange of the unit. Please let me know your opinions.
The shadows on the bottom are from the LEDs for the backlight. Earlier versions of the Glo software had an optional black band on the bottom of the screen which hid that area. Firmware 2.6.1 removed that black band which has annoyed several people.

As for the page turns, eInk is a relatively slow display technology so you are seeing the page being rewritten. The black/white/black/normal display is defaulted to happen every 6 pages. If you tap twice on the middle of the screen, you can trigger it manually. This is needed to removing ghosting from the screen -- google eink and ghosting for more on this. You can set the screen refresh from 1 to 6 pages depending on how much the ghosting bothers you using the Settings/Page Refresh dropdown. Where I really found the ghosting annoying was in a book where the chapter headers were heavy black graphics which showed on the next page every time.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Sorry for side tracking the thread, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

If you tap twice on the middle of the screen, you can trigger it manually. ...
What version of firmware are you using? I'm using 2.6.1b, and double tapping in the middle advances page(s). Double tapping on the bottom middle brings up the menu.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

What version of firmware are you using? I'm using 2.6.1b, and double tapping in the middle advances page(s). Double tapping on the bottom middle brings up the menu.
Same here, but using 2.6.1. Someone else said that on a different thread, but that never worked for me. Could it be because my screen is 1/3-2/3 divided?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
The idea is to open and close the menu quickly, that triggers a screen redraw.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Same here, but using 2.6.1. Someone else said that on a different thread, but that never worked for me. Could it be because my screen is 1/3-2/3 divided?
As ewphoenix123, it is really just opening and closing the menu. With the two 1/3-2/3 page turn options it doesn't work as well because when you tap the second time, you are probably tapping in the bottom bar area and that doesn't dismiss the menu. The Glo has a little area above this that will both display and dismiss the menu.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
TorontoJenny
Addicted to Books
TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.TorontoJenny knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Glo, Mini, Touch
I have a few other Kobo Devices with the latest firmware. This device is the only one I noticed that has this happen at every page turn-not just the default 6, which my devices are set at. Which is why I wondered if it was a device issue. Seeing italic text behind every page turn is just weird.
TorontoJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Aura HD 2.6.1b. A tap in the middle of the screen brings up the top and bottom bars. A second tap in the middle of the screen dismissed the bars and does a screen refresh. I'm using the stock screen touch areas in the Page Turning section of Reading Settings. If you are using the alternate settings, a double tap in the settings area just above the bottom menu bar seems to work. All I am really doing is bringing up and quickly dismissing the menu to force a page refresh.

I found myself using this on one book which using heavy (think a black blob covering the top third of the reading area) graphics for the chapter title. Horrible ghosting and the tap/tap got rid of it without having to set 1 as the page refresh for every page.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 07-14-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoJenny View Post
I have a few other Kobo Devices with the latest firmware. This device is the only one I noticed that has this happen at every page turn-not just the default 6, which my devices are set at. Which is why I wondered if it was a device issue. Seeing italic text behind every page turn is just weird.
I notice the momentary change in the text though I wouldn't call it italic. If it is taking so long to process the page rewrite that you can really notice the change, you may have an issue -- can you compare your ereader to another of the same model? You might also want to try the traditional sign out and sign in again to see if that helps. If it doesn't, next step is a factory reset. There have been some truly weird issues on Kobo ereaders caused by the database getting corrupted which those two steps can help with. If you are using Calibre, try adding DavidFor's Kobo Utilities plugin which allows you to verify your database, compress it and back it up among other useful functions. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215339 for more on this rather useful plugin.

Regards,
David
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks for the explanation.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, light