Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Tanyas
Tanyas began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
My Kobo Touch won't eject

Hi there,
I've been emailing back and forth with the kobo people and they haven't been able to solve my problem. Thought it was a lemon so I exchanged it, but the new one is behaving just the same. Really frustrating. I've spent hours trying to get it to work properly.
I have never gotten my kobo touch to eject properly. I do the kobo desktop eject and it says 'failed, try again'. I use calibre and it ejects fine from that program but the kobo itself doesn't realize that it has been ejected. So I use the eject through windows and it says it is ejected, but again the kobo doesn't know it. I try the safely remove option through windows, but it says can't because a program is still using it, but there is no program using it. I turned off my virus protection just to be sure.
Is is possible that I got two lemons in a row???
The people at kobo just keep telling me to do factory resets.
So the damage is also more pervasive. Sometimes I can get library books onto it, but sometimes not. I can't for the life of me figure out why.
Anyways, if anyone knows what is causing the hangup, I just figure it would work better, if I could properly eject it.
I have the latest desktop (2.1.6) and the latest kobo software (
I also find that pressing on 'home' often doesn't work either. SO I have to turn it off and on again, or reset... again.
Ugh!
-Tanya
maybe I should just cut my losses and get a sony?
Tanyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyas View Post
So I use the eject through windows and it says it is ejected, but again the kobo doesn't know it.
The Kobo itself will stay on the "connected and charging" screen until you physically unplug it from the the computer, so as long as windows is telling you it can safely be unplugged, go ahead and do that.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Tanyas

Really?
That makes no sense. So it says connected and charging, but it isn't actually connected and charging?
The kobo people say that it must be defective, and to exchange it...
I don't really care anymore, so long as it has the books I want on it.
Thanks for the reply Rob!
-Tanya
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Tanyas

I would think the eject from the kobo desktop should work. Instead it consistently says failed.
I think I'll exchange it again and maybe third time lucky.
; )
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If the eject is failing it might well mean that there is an open file on that drive still, or a command prompt is open to that drive.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In Windows Explorer, right-click the the drive letter that represents the Kobo and left-click "Eject" in the context menu (in German "Auswerfen"). Wait a moment. The drive letter disappears (or becomes gray, depending from your Exlplorer settings) and this way the Kobo is logically ejected (unmounted). Now you can unplug the reader safely from the computer, no matter what the Kobo screen shows. - There is no signal sent from Windows to the Kobo that tells "You are unmounted now".

Last edited by Koboyashi; 01-20-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Tanyas

This is how I end up ejecting, using the windows eject. But it doesn't explain why I can't eject from the kobo desktop/library. Not once has it worked on either computer. It always says eject 'failed'.
Also when I want to do a safely remove option through windows, It says it can't as there is something accessing the kobo.
But there are no other files or windows or anything open. Even the anti-virus is turned off.
I guess it is a mystery that I will have to live with...
Thanks for all your help though!!
-Tanya
Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyas View Post
... Also when I want to do a safely remove option through windows, It says it can't as there is something accessing the kobo.
But there are no other files or windows or anything open. ...
Okay, one last try: Restart your computer. Connect the Kobo. Do not run the Kobo Desktop software. Wait a moment and then try the windows eject. - By the way, what windows version are you using?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The Kobo won't display a screen that says ejected though.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Koboyashi
Zealot

Oops! Double post after editing 1st ...

Last edited by Koboyashi; 01-21-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Tanyas

I tried what you suggested Koboyashi, and it ejects, but when I use the 'safely remove' option, it still says it is being accessed by a program.

I tried what the guy in the store suggested today.. open up the kobo desktop and wait a few minutes before connecting my kobo. But the kobo desktop eject still failed as usual.

I turned off the firewall and the anti-virus and tried again,... nope.

I give up. The kobo is buggy but it does work. If it gets worse I will return it.

The computer I use mainly, had vista, but I tried it on our other computer and it runs windows 7. Same results.

Anyways, Thank you for all your replies -Tanya
Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
LibraryCin
Connoisseur
LibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blueLibraryCin can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Touch
I have this problem, as well, but then my computer is quite old. It (most of the time, anyway) also won't "safely remove hardware" when my mp3 player is plugged in either, so - at least for me - I'm certain the problem is with my computer. When I plug in my camera, most of the time I can "safely remove", but I think I've had times where it won't let me do that, either.

Anyway, all I do is wait till I shut down the computer (at least that keeps my Kobo charged!), and unplug it then.
LibraryCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryCin View Post
I have this problem, as well, but then my computer is quite old. It (most of the time, anyway) also won't "safely remove hardware" when my mp3 player is plugged in either, so - at least for me - I'm certain the problem is with my computer. When I plug in my camera, most of the time I can "safely remove", but I think I've had times where it won't let me do that, either.

Anyway, all I do is wait till I shut down the computer (at least that keeps my Kobo charged!), and unplug it then.
I learned very recently (by trial and error) that if Windows Media Player is open, the kobo doesn't eject properly and Calibre doesn't work with it. It seems like WM Player is trying to use the Kobo as a music player.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Koboyashi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I learned very recently (by trial and error) that if Windows Media Player is open, the kobo doesn't eject properly and Calibre doesn't work with it. It seems like WM Player is trying to use the Kobo as a music player.
You've hit the nail ! I can confirm this behavior (W7 64Bit). It also seems to happen if the player ran sometime in the same windows session.

Last edited by Koboyashi; 03-04-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
If the issue is another program such as windows media Calibre would not eject and would report something about another program keeping it open. This happens to me when I am too quick to eject after a task.

When Calibre is successful the device icon disappears but Kobo still reports a connection. Never had a problem disconnecting the Kobo after the icon disappears from Calibre.

I use Calibre on my Linux computer and rarely on the Windows 7 computer. I am not a Python expert but wouldn't Calibre just use a system call to eject the usb device? The same call ejecting from a file browser or the task bar in windows would use?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote