Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #106
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have both an eInk eReader (Kindle 3) and an LCD eReader (Nook Color). I read novels on my Kindle and use my Color as a tablet (internet, videos, music, magazines, news, etc). Reading for long periods of time on an LCD screen bothers my eyes; so I don't. Besides, there's no way I'm going to read a novel on a heavy, back lit device with short battery life when devices with the opposite specs are readily available.
So the Vox is just another heavy, backlit LCD reader no good for reading novels or longer non-fiction works? Seems bizarre coming from Kobo of all people....
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #107
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
In the USA I think you're analysis is correct. But since the Fire is only sold there it is really a non-issue for the rest of the world which gives Kobo a head start on this market demographic.
When is the Fire due to open to international sales?
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #108
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
So the Vox is just another heavy, backlit LCD reader no good for reading novels or longer non-fiction works? Seems bizarre coming from Kobo of all people....
That depends on the individual. Some individuals don't have any problem reading on back lit LCD screens. For them, a Vox kills two birds with one stone. It gives them an ereader and a tablet in one device; thereby saving them the expense of having to buy two devices.

The Vox, Color, and Fire are all LCD ereaders with pretty much the same features and capabilities. B&N started the color ereader thing a year ago and has had great success with it. This year, Amazon and Kobo are joining in to get a share of that market.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #109
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
B&N rolled the dice and produced a successful product in the Nook Color. It stands to reason that Amazon, Sony, and Kobo would try similar products for some market share. Clearly, there is a niche for this type of reader/tablet.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #110
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Quote:
I've been reading exclusively on LCD backlit devices for about 15 years with no eye strain issues. You just lower the backlight down to a comfortable level.

I get that it's variable from person to person, but to me the whole 'eyestrain from lcd' was largely something you only heard after E-Ink hit the market. It was a selling point for them even if no one actually tested the theory.

Vox is looking good for me.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #111
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin688 View Post
I've been reading exclusively on LCD backlit devices for about 15 years with no eye strain issues. You just lower the backlight down to a comfortable level.

I get that it's variable from person to person, but to me the whole 'eyestrain from lcd' was largely something you only heard after E-Ink hit the market. It was a selling point for them even if no one actually tested the theory.

No, it wasn't. Eyestrain is a long standing issue with digital displays. CRT monitors before that had lots of eyestrain issues, normally resolved with higher refresh rates.

LCDs are a bit easier on the eyes than CRTs, but there's still some eyestrain issues there. Some folks even have eyestrain issues on LCDs that they don't on CRTs at high refresh rates (kind of the opposite of the norm, but it depends on the eyes).

Especially with backlit devices in a dark room. The whole "flashlight shining into your eyes" thing.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #112
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
No, it wasn't. Eyestrain is a long standing issue with digital displays. CRT monitors before that had lots of eyestrain issues, normally resolved with higher refresh rates.

LCDs are a bit easier on the eyes than CRTs, but there's still some eyestrain issues there. Some folks even have eyestrain issues on LCDs that they don't on CRTs at high refresh rates (kind of the opposite of the norm, but it depends on the eyes).

Especially with backlit devices in a dark room. The whole "flashlight shining into your eyes" thing.
Well like I said it must be variable. It's never bothered me, or my wife, mother, or father in the last 15 years. I make it a habit of reading in bed in complete darkness and with the backlight turned down to the minimum it's very comfortable.

Edit: I actually read primarily on my phone now (HTC Desire) and I use the Kobo app set to 'night mode' which is black background, white text. I don't even have to turn the backlight down, though I did when I was still using my RCA/EBW.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #113
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
there's two issues with LCD's.

Eyestrain is a possibility. however with a good quality LCD it's much less. a good IPS display will generally cause very little to know eye strain. However, using a cheap panel, can cause more.

Its still unknown with this AFFS+ panel. I'm excited to see how it performs.

I'm still waiting for a tablet that uses switching e-ink LCD. when this is released ona tablet, it's game over.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/v...d-at-computex/

The biggest concern that reading on an LCD is evidence that bright light shined directly into the eyes (such as LCD's use), cause certain portions of teh brain to remain active longer. Reducing your ability to get a good nights sleep. So reading before bed on an LCD for long periods of time could have detrimental affect on your sleeping schedule
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #114
ronin688
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
there's two issues with LCD's.

I'm still waiting for a tablet that uses switching e-ink LCD. when this is released ona tablet, it's game over.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/v...d-at-computex/

I will admit that is the holy grail. While I love my LCD backlight for reading in the dark, I would kill for a hybrid of some sort.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #115
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
question; despite not having access to the native google app store app on the vox, that shouldn't stop you from being able to open a web browser, going to google's app store's web page and downloading apps from there, right? Android is still pretty new me, so I may be completely off base, despite it sounding logical
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #116
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Psyke; from what it looks like, the android on the Vox will not be customized at all or locked. so any google apps should sideload normally if you dont want to use the app store they've decided to go with.

I'm wondering if since it's open, there's nothing preventing you from installing the standard app store anyways
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #117
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm pretty sure that it isn't that Kobo isn't allowing access to Android market, but rather that the device does not meet the requirements for Market access. Google has not been allowing access to devices without cameras. I wonder if the CBC got it wrong, or if Serbinis said it this way.
There's plenty of Android devices w/o cameras that use the Android Market. It is however closed source and its use requires entering into a licensing agreement with Google. I suspect this is why Kobo passed on it.

As long as the Vox doesn't disable the "Allow Unknown sources" option of Android, any apk the hardware supports should be installable via SD.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #118
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin688 View Post

Lowering the backlight? Interesting tip. I must admit I hadn't thought of that!
If the Vox really does offer an unlocked version of Android, I might buy it just for that as I have no other Android devices.
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #119
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Lowering the backlight? Interesting tip. I must admit I hadn't thought of that!
another thing about lowered backlight brightness is that it will increase battery life, and, quite honestly, unless you need it (movies, games), you can usually get away with having the backlight almost down to its minimum setting, particularly at night; my blackberry is down to Zero and I can see it perfectly fine, even outdoors during the day.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #120
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I always have my brightness set down to zero on my phone. It really does help with battery life. I find reading on a dark grey background with black text saves me any eye strain. I read in the dark though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote