Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Paranormal Romance

Any paranormal or fantasy romance recommendations that aren't about vampires, werewolves or angels? I know that's probably a big niche but I really find them boring.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Does it have to be romance? I really like the Mark Del Franco "Connor Gray" series.

Laura Anne Gilman has her Retrievers series, which eventually develops a romance, but it doesn't start that way.

Shannon K Butcher has her Sentinels series, which is truly paranormal romance (different couple each book)....I read the first one and liked it enough to buy more, but I'll admit they're still on my TBR pile. I don't remember there being vamps, weres, or angels, although there is an enemy I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

If you'd be willing to reconsider weres, I absolutely love Nalini Singh's Psy-Changelings series. It centers on the conflicts between three races living in a future version of our world: the Psy, the changelings, and humans. It does have changeling beings though (mostly were-cats and were-wolves, but also mentions others and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the other changeling races gets at least some action soon).

Have you tried Robin D. Owen's Celtra Tales series? It's a cross between a futuristic (humans travelled to other planet) and fantasy/magic. Definitely a paranormal romance series without vamps, weres, or angels. I'll be honest, the first book didn't suck me in, but I'd already bought the next few, but I liked those so much I've kept up with the series (the hero in the first book is a bit of a thickhead, to be honest!)

You've also got Jayne Castle's Harmony series...although lately she's been crossing storylines into her contemporary romantic suspense and historical romantic suspense lines.

I really liked the first and second book in Gena Showalter's Alien Huntress series, but as the vamps became more popular over science-fiction romance, she managed to inject them into the series. But I seem to remember the first couple could be read standalone if you're interested.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Coralm
Enthusiast
Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle
Wow, that's a tough niche to find a book for. Umm, how about mermaids? Siren Song by Stephanie Draven is a quick-reading novella that I liked quite a bit.
Coralm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic

Yeah I know. lol I have tried to read a few vampire books and I just want to throw my ereader at the wall after a few pages. Wolves...boooooring. Angels...been done.

Mermaids work. Looking for proper books not so much novellas. I will check out the book you suggested.
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Virginia Kantra has a mermaid series, I think...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
How about Vampires that don't act like vampires?

The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a paranormal romance series that is more about the Brotherhoods on going war against The Omega & his Lessers, plus how each Brotherhood Member finds his significant other, than about being vampires. Their vampireism is just a point of fact, really.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
You could try David Ambrose's Superstition, about an experiment to create a tulpa.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Coralm
Enthusiast
Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Now I'm determined to find you something! I dug through my wishlist and found The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. Now I can't say if they are any good or not, because I haven't gotten around to them yet, but they've been recommended to me a few times. The description says Faeries. How's that grab you?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
The description says Faeries. How's that grab you?
I got the first one to have a read of sometime. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
Coralm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I got the first one to have a read of sometime. Thanks.
Awesome! Let me know how you find it, I may have to move it up my list.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Be aware that The Fever series is more Urban Fantasy than Paranormal Romance, and some of the books finisih with huge cliffhangers.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
FizzyWater

Anya Bast had a series on witches...I just can't remember if it ALSO had the other ones you didn't want...
Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 AM   #14
MorganM
Fanatic

Thanks for the other suggestions.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Maybe try some Steampunk, Phoenix Rising (Philippa Ballantine & Tee Morris) is excellent. I recently read Soulless by Gail Carriger, and while there are vampires they are not a Major feature.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote