Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post
As an author I'd like to 'offer a bit of myself' by directing you [links and promotional material deleted.]
If you're a writer you might identify with it. If you're a reader you might enjoy an insight into a writer's life.

This is not a self-promotional thread and your links and references have been deleted.

This is not the purpose of this thread. Self-Promotional posts and threads are allowed only in the Self-Promotion Forum.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-30-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #32
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is not a self-promotional thread and your links and references have been deleted.

This is not the purpose of this thread. Self-Promotional posts and threads are allowed only in the Self-Promotion Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Are you sure? I has good book! It haz relevent to topic!

....And by that, it also may very well be a "total waste of time" as per our thread title

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-30-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: corrected my quoted typo
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #33
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
(Moderator)
Sorry. Wasn't intended as self promotion. Just thought I might give other writers a laugh if they identified with it.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #34
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoadToTibet View Post
Like most ebook authors, I posted details of my own book on this forum but afterwards came to think, isn't it a total waste of time? In all fairness, who's going to believe any comments I have about my own books? I can say "Hey, my book High Road To Tibet is available on the Kindle at $2.99 and is a great read" but what else would I say???
There are a lot of things you can say: Explain the basic premise and flavor of the book; describe the settings and characters; give a hint about the tension and conflict that make this an interesting story; mention a few choice moments, and maybe something interesting about the climax ("...careening through the historic streets of Lhasa..."), to whet the readers' appetite.

All of those things are factual tidbits, as opposed to "this book is great, you gotta read it!" comments... but they can still be compellingly written (hey, you just wrote a novel... you should be able to handle this), and they serve even better to get people thinking about your book, and why they should read it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All self promotion of an eBook becomes a waste of time after the f
irst few months when the book becomes buried under the avalanche of new work
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourer1 View Post
All self promotion of an eBook becomes a waste of time after the f
irst few months when the book becomes buried under the avalanche of new work
How do you figure? The more you promote your work...the more likely it is to be noticed.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
How do you figure? The more you promote your work...the more likely it is to be noticed.
It depends what form the promotion takes. Unfortunately sometimes authors do cross the line from legitimate promotion into spamming.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #38
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It depends what form the promotion takes. Unfortunately sometimes authors do cross the line from legitimate promotion into spamming.
This is very true. But passive promotion (in sigs and suchnot) and by trying to get reviews, ect., you would think would help a book continue to find new audiences even as it ages.

There may not be physical bookshelves for ebooks, but there are thousands upon thousands more virtual bookshelves to try to get your book onto.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #39
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourer1 View Post
All self promotion of an eBook becomes a waste of time after the first few months when the book becomes buried under the avalanche of new work
I'd think that after the first few months is exactly when self-promotion helps most--it can entice new readers who wouldn't otherwise notice the book.

If a book is "buried under the avalanche of new work," then its early readers must not have cared enough to promote it. Maybe they didn't know how, or got distracted, or are waiting a while to read it. But certainly, after the initial rush of "hey, this is new! Looks cool!" sales have died off, it's a good time for authors to visit promo-friendly sites and say, "Here's my newest; let me tell you what's interesting about it."

In the case of ebooks, readers sometimes aren't sure how to promote them to friends; the methods we use for print books don't translate well to ebooks. For print, I can say, "I loved this--here, you borrow it for a week and see if you like it." Even if they don't buy a new copy, they'll consider that author's next work if they liked it. But for ebooks, it's just "I loved this--download a short excerpt to see if you have any interest at all, then pay $3-16 and see if you like it."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #40
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I'd think that after the first few months is exactly when self-promotion helps most--it can entice new readers who wouldn't otherwise notice the book.

If a book is "buried under the avalanche of new work," then its early readers must not have cared enough to promote it. Maybe they didn't know how, or got distracted, or are waiting a while to read it. But certainly, after the initial rush of "hey, this is new! Looks cool!" sales have died off, it's a good time for authors to visit promo-friendly sites and say, "Here's my newest; let me tell you what's interesting about it."

In the case of ebooks, readers sometimes aren't sure how to promote them to friends; the methods we use for print books don't translate well to ebooks. For print, I can say, "I loved this--here, you borrow it for a week and see if you like it." Even if they don't buy a new copy, they'll consider that author's next work if they liked it. But for ebooks, it's just "I loved this--download a short excerpt to see if you have any interest at all, then pay $3-16 and see if you like it."
That was exactly what I was trying to get at.

Tags
an ebook, marketing, publicity, self-promotion