Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
Calibre to handle acsm file?

Is it possible to have calibre handle all acsm files when I download a book fro my library?

Right now I'm stuck using adobe digital editions or the sony software and I'd rather have everything go through calibre.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No.

Those are small control files that tell ADE to download a DRM-infested file. ADE uses them to negotiate with the server, providing your adobe id, verifying geographic restrictions, and finally re-encrypting with your personal key and downloading it.

All of this is part of the infrastructure that most publishers insist upon because as everyone knows, we readers who buy books are all cheats, tramps, and thieves.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
All of this is part of the infrastructure that most publishers insist upon because as everyone knows, we readers who buy books are all cheats, tramps, and thieves.
Shouldn't that be 'Gypsies, tramps and thieves', because we all Cher files?
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
No.

Those are small control files that tell ADE to download a DRM-infested file. ADE uses them to negotiate with the server, providing your adobe id, verifying geographic restrictions, and finally re-encrypting with your personal key and downloading it.

But this was a LIBRARY book that the OP ?borrowed? for a short time period and is what I consider the only reasonable use of DRM, since it is a non-owned book.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Well, we are. Paying for other people's work? Outrageous! It might even shake the foundation of the economic system.

(Okay, I'm no big fan of DRM or anything, I'll have to add that. I like the authors to get the money I pay. And there lies the problem: I like the authors to get it, not the publishers.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
Wenznz
Wenznz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Library books in Calibre

Quote:
No.

ok, I think this is relevant to what I've been trying to figure out.

After you've downloaded your library book into ADE, can you then move it across to Calibre to load onto your device.
I realise I can load it straight from ADE, but it keeps everything much tidier if I'm loading from one program (Calibre) rather than multiple
Wenznz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenznz View Post
After you've downloaded your library book into ADE, can you then move it across to Calibre to load onto your device.
Yes. You just need to find where ADE is storing the book on your computer. You can add it to your calibre library just like any other book. However, because it is DRM restricted you won't be able to do thing like convert. Also, you need to have your device authenticated with ADE. Calibre will just transfer the book and doesn't deal with any of the DRM stuff.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Wenznz
Wenznz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Ok, finally got around to trying this, and it worked perfectly!

Thank you for the advice
Wenznz is offline   Reply With Quote