Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
jalapenocheese
jalapenocheese began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
new to e-book readers

Hi there

I'm a newbie to the world of e-book readers. I've had an iPad since it first came out with the idea that I'd read books on it. Four years later, I still haven't made a good dent on my reading habit. I think one of the biggest issues I had was I also was doing a lot more stuff on my iPad (eg, FB, surfing the net, etc.) so that was taking a lot of my attention every time I get bored with what I'm reading.

That said, someone suggested a dedicated e-book reader since you can't do much with it but read. So that got me wanting one - I initially wanted a Kindle Paperwhite but seeing how it doesn't handle ePub (drag/drop - majority of my ebooks are in this format), I think a Kobo would suit my needs more.

In terms of versions, I like the Aura HD but I think I'll hold off until I think I really need it. Currently, I'm in the market for a used Kobo so at least I'd have a few months to play with/experience one before thinking about an upgrade.

I had a look at a few used Kobos from Glo/Touch/Mini on Kijiji (canadian Craigslist) and does anyone know what is the going price for a used Kobo so at least I'd have an idea?

From those three, what would you choose if you are pretty new to e-book readers?

Thank you!
jalapenocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Kobo Mini - has a 5" screen, which some people find does not display enough text for their liking. Try to pay @ $40.

Kobo Touch - good one to start with if you don't need a lighted screen. Try to find one @$40 or $50

Kobo Glo - excellent and lighted, try to find one under @ $75. (My price suggestions are in USD)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
jalapenocheese

Thanks for the response, booklover6!

So I found a Kobo Glo for CA$80 which is about 1.5 years old (mint condition) and it comes with a cover. However, upon checking Kobo.com, the Aura is on sale at CA$99.98 (no case.)

Which one would you choose? I know the difference between both and I like the idea of dimmer back light to read in dark conditions (although how much I'd be doing that, I have no idea.)

So I guess I'm trying to think if at $20 more (possibly $50 more if I shell out for a case) if it's worth to get a new Aura instead.

Nope, scratch that. I think I'm settling for a used Glo since I don't want to pay additional taxes.

Last edited by jalapenocheese; 07-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can read your EPUBs on a Kindle if you use calibre. It will auto-convert on sending, or you could just leave it running overnight to convert everything.

If a Kindle has the featureset you want, at the price you want, don't reject it just because it doesn't do EPUB.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes what eschwartz said is correct, you can use Calibre to convert your existing epub books quite easily.

I love the kobo readers, though, so that's what I would get Also, the Glo and the Aura are both excellent, and the sale price on the Aura is good. I wouldn't buy the official case for either one, I use other brands. As long as the used Glo is not damaged, should be good.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
However using Calibre may require breaking the DRM present on Kindle eBooks. This may be illegal depending on where you live. For this reason the forum will not tell you how to do that and Calibre, by itself, does not support this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
However using Calibre may require breaking the DRM present on Kindle eBooks. ...
If you have a Kindle you don't need to break the DRM to read "Kindle eBooks". You might, though, need to break the DRM on ePub books to convert them to a Kindle compatible format for use on a Kindle.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

The OP has epubs already that he/she wishes to drag/drop to the reader. I would assume those are not encumbered by DRM or they couldn't be drag/dropped.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #9
chanfm
Enthusiast
chanfm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapenocheese View Post
Thanks for the response, booklover6!

So I found a Kobo Glo for CA$80 which is about 1.5 years old (mint condition) and it comes with a cover. However, upon checking Kobo.com, the Aura is on sale at CA$99.98 (no case.)

Which one would you choose? I know the difference between both and I like the idea of dimmer back light to read in dark conditions (although how much I'd be doing that, I have no idea.)

So I guess I'm trying to think if at $20 more (possibly $50 more if I shell out for a case) if it's worth to get a new Aura instead.

Nope, scratch that. I think I'm settling for a used Glo since I don't want to pay additional taxes.

I checked Kobo.com and can't find the Aura sale at C$99.98. Could you point me to it?
chanfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
jalapenocheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanfm View Post
I checked Kobo.com and can't find the Aura sale at C$99.98. Could you point me to it?
Hi Chanfm,

It was on sale when I wrote that post but I guess the offer has ended.